500 American Silver Eagles - Probably not 2018 - Deal resurrected

Am now seeing seller willingness to take orders for 2019 silver eagle monster boxes, as well as for smaller numbers of 2019 coins, e.g., unopened 20 coin rolls.

As noted up thread, early purchase of 2019 silver eagles this way from a reputable seller whose dealings are with the mint itself should help ensure against fraud.

ETA

Stipulated the aforementioned 2019 coins will be more expensive than the “any year” coins featured here on this thread. But the 2019 coins will be brand spanking new, “minty fresh” if you will, whereas “any year” coins tend to be old and not fresh from the mint.

Checking the link in the OP, price of the monster box I bought a while back below $8200 has ballooned to over $8800.

I wish I understood why the price of silver is up. But I surely am not complaining.

ETA

Only heaven knows what the 2019 boxes will sell for. But price is looking to exceed nine grand IMO.

What can I say? Silver is up a bit. The monster box in the OP is, at this time, over one thousand bucks more than what I paid back toward the end of November. I’m gonna need an armed guard if this keeps up!:grinning:

Well, OK, I’m actually well armed so I guess I myself am the guard. Anyway:

Perhaps of more interest now, the 2019 monster boxes will be shipping very shortly. This deal is the lowest price I could locate. Cost is more than the monster boxes in the OP but these coins are BRAND SPANKING NEW!!:

Fly (2019) Eagles Fly!

1 Like

Guys this deal finally sold out. There was quite a lot of interest in the link in the OP, so if someone comes across a LIVE deal for silver eagles of unknown date, selling cheap, feel free to post a new thread and link.

Perhaps this same seller will come forward with such a new deal. The guy sold a TON of those monster boxes beneath this old deal.

Or perhaps now, instead, most people are opting for the 2019 coins. I dunno. They cost more, that I do know.

Now if it were me, I would hold off and then buy the 2020 coins in a year. I would rather own the first coins of the 20 20’s than the very last coins from the 20 teens.

Moved back to live hot deals. This deal appears, as if by magic, to have been brought back to life. Guess the guy found some forgotten monster boxes that had been hidden away somewhere. :grinning:

Price is back up, too. Hmmmm :pensive:

The Fed’s announcement yesterday afternoon, following the FOMC meeting, weakened the dollar. This appears to have caused the silver price to go up.

Price of the monster box in the OP is as high as I can recall seeing since commencement of this thread.

Those posts are from back at the end of last year. I now have a better handle on this and can offer a bit of counsel:

Do not open your monster boxes unless forced to do so. The coins are worth more to a dealer if the box is unopened. In summary:

These silver eagles possess simultaneously both bullion and numismatic value. The former moves up and down with the price of silver and does not depend on your monster box being sealed or unsealed.

The numismatic value of each coin can be determined only following third-party grading. MS-70 or MS-69 silver eagles will elicit from coin collectors premium prices in excess merely of the silver value. But only a small number of such high value specimens is likely to be found in any unopened monster box. There are a couple of considerations:

The coin will need to have survived unmarked contact with other coins in its tube. The coin will need to have been struck with good condition dies.

When an opened monster box is presented to a dealer for bid, the dealer just assumes the coins it contains have been cherry picked, with all high quality coins already gone.

The deal in the OP should be avoided by anyone buying in effort to maximize numismatic value . . . . even though you might get lucky. It could happen. But to maximize value with any monster box purchase:

Buy as early in the year as circumstances allow. Pre-order if possible. You want to obtain the earliest coins you can which presumably will be struck with fresh dies.

Ship choosing the most gentle alternative available. Upon arrival, treat your monster box carefully. Do not drop the box. Do not jiggle it about to hear the coins inside clinking together. Be gentle.

As for me, my box remains sealed and will remain sealed. But if I do this again I will not buy another “any year” box. Instead I’ll spend a bit more to obtain the newest coins I can.

Update

It has been a while since I have posted to this thread. Remarkably the deal in the OP remains available even now, and it shows no sign of ending any time soon. But there has been a MAJOR negative event surrounding this deal since I did the OP:

eBay, at least in the state where I live and I believe in others as well, is now charging sales tax. And the sales tax on this deal can amount to many hundreds of dollars. Course the price of silver is up, too, since the OP. But that is owing solely to normal market price fluctuation and must be accepted as part of the original deal. The silver price can descend, too, though that has not happened in the relatively short span of time since the OP was written.

I have bought no more coins since the OP. But I’m well satisfied with my original purchase, having paid no sales tax and having put the purchase on a CC which, at the time, offered a 5% reward. So no complaints or regrets from me whatsoever.

I did go back and re-check the seller. He has received over 300 positive feedbacks on this deal alone, and he still has a 100% positive feedback rating across a broad spectrum of coin deals he offers.

I continue to see merit in owning a small amount of (what amounts to) bullion as a form of insurance, and keeping that stash where it is readily accessible. For me, “small” means one or (at most) two boxes. Nevertheless, the price of silver will have to fall precipitously before I buy a second box of these coins. But I am quite comfortable standing pat at one box and I feel fortunate to have made the purchase when I did.

1 Like

Interesting. In my state, bullion purchases of greater than $1000 are exempt from sales tax. I found a state-by-state summary at Gold & Silver Bullion | Collectible State Sales Taxes

1 Like

Thanks, Lurker, for your post. I think you are onto something and what I wrote about sales tax, in my state, could be wrong. The laws and rules are so complex that I cannot be 100% certain. But I’m prepared to say I was wrong more likely than not. So that is a good thing.

Anyone with sales tax concerns, for her or his state, needs to study the matter really carefully before purchase. The rules are complex and totally state specific. I would have concerns as well about eBay’s ability to get the sales taxation aspect right.

So to clarify, what are you doing with this? just reselling, or holding as an long term investment?

Neither, Griz. I have no plans whatsoever to sell my silver . . . ever I hope. And even though I happen to be up a good bit at the present time, I do not look upon the box as much of an investment. After all its value can decline just as fast as it has risen. And this can happen at times and in ways I’m totally unable to predict or foresee.

I just wanted to have available to me an alternative medium of exchange . . . . at least some. Really prior to this box I had virtually nothing at all other than dollars. I have no plans to go further. I’m not going to fill the basement with silver, as I guess some folks do. And I’m skittish when it comes to gold. So this single box of silver eagles will be it for me. However, for this one box of eagles only, I would rather possess and have readily available to me the hard silver than have in the bank the money it cost.

1 Like

Although @shinobi is using them as such, coins don’t count as bullion. OTOH, with the proper smelter …

1 Like

If you like Silver Eagles, but don’t want 500, here’s a deal to consider:
https://www.fragiledeal.com/t/one-silver-eagle-for-17-80-shipped-with-a-catch/

Hmmmm. This could be turning into a problem. Price of my monster box is now approaching ten grand. Whodathunkit? And I still have the box sitting sealed, but out in the open, in my bedroom. Doubt most folks hereabouts, including what few burglars we might have, ever have seen a monster box or know what it is. And there would be a measure of safety and security in that. But at almost ten grand, I dunno. May need to re-think.

Only you shinobi, upon seeing the price of silver go up and noticing you have an unrealized gain of over 20% would say this.

If you didn’t care how you stored it when it was $8,200, why do you all of a sudden care when it is $10,000. Or is this just a humble brag about the gain you have on your silver eagle purchase?

3 Likes

A little of each, to be candid.

Some brag, some amazement, and some concern about safety of my monster box. I wish every one of my financial endeavors had gains like this over so short a period of time. It’s crazy.

And of course the value of my monster box can go south tomorrow in an eye blink. But it is fun today.:grinning:

3 Likes

But it had no gain. You still have the exact same size box of silver coins, they didn’t produce any extra quarters.

I am curious what you’d actual get selling it. Where would you take it? Would it be much lower than the $9345?(current “sell” price I see on a different website for ASEs – Sell is less than Ask) But maybe you investigated this upthread before purchasing, and I missed it…

Also you see that that tiny change is pretty low in the noise if you look over a longer time period. And there’s been pretty much no gain in value over the last 10 years.

But you are doing better than me with ~$2000 current value worth of silver rounds that I purchased back when silver was around $25-35 in 2010/11.

Sorry. Am unable to assist you with an answer to that. As prior, I have no intent of selling . . . . ever. Just experiencing amazement at the increase in price for anyone who wishes to buy now the same box I did back at time of OP.

I’m not selling. And I’m surely not buying more eagles, either, not at this price! Just sitting here, standing pat, looking at my monster box with a big, fat, SEG on my face :grinning:.

Or is that a POS?:wink:

Just dig a hole underneath the potatoes in your root cellar. If you’re fancy schmancy with a finished basement instead of a root cellar, cut a whole in your drywall and do a good job of patching and paint blending.

Just make sure it’s in the basement and not on the ground floor. With all of those CD applications, certs and paper tax forms, a fire might burn so hot as to melt the silver. :slight_smile:

4 Likes