Alliant Credit Union

That is a very serious matter. Please let us know how things turn out.

Oh, it happened. Check out my other thread. They royally screwed up, I spoke to them earlier and their IT team is trying to figure out what happened. However, they said I should have a reversal in the next 1 to 2 business days.

Unreal this would happen.

3 Likes

Agreed. This reflects poorly on Alliant, that they could have allowed such a thing. This is a big deal. There has been a breakdown in their systems somewhere along the way.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is VERY disappointing!

Sadly we have to wonder, if Alliant could have allowed something of this serious nature to happen, what is next? Where, in what way, next will their systems fail and leave us in dire straits?

Yes, this could be a “big deal”, especially if it happens to you.

I issued an ACH transfer to move funds into Alliant CU from another establishment on 3/2. On 3/5 I absent mindedly forgot & reissued the same ACH transfer. Of course today I see a charge of $15 to my account for non funds. I called & explained my issue & Alliant CU put the $15 back in my account.

So you see I will stick with Alliant CU, not for this issue alone, but a multitude of reasons…

No dispute, pattyb53. I will remain as well. But apparently today, where Alliant is concerned, “trust but verify” is a prudent approach.

Does anyone have information on Alliant’s billpay vendor/system?

It seems poor relative to the competition:

-Many payess who are electronic elsewhere (e.g. major credit card issuers) seem to go by check at Alliant

-Money is withdrawn not when the payment reaches the payee, but when it is sent…seems customer unfriendly and hard to track

Perhaps there is a way to get the payes to at lest convert to eletronic? Or perhaps sometimes, they are sent electronically even though it says “check”? Appreciate any insights.

1 Like

In my experience, most are sent electronic, even if they initially say check. I found this confusing also.

I would be interested in answers to your other questions as well if anyone knows.

While it is true that with Alliant’s Bill Pay, the first payment is sent by check and then it will switch over to electronic for any payments done after that first time, their Bill Pay service is not as good as some of the major providers. They have less electronic payment payees in their system…Often, companies that i have set up on say, my Bank of America bill pay that go electronic, will go by check on Alliant’s bill pay…

Alliant uses wescom credit union to provide their bill pay and it’s just not up there with the best! Even net teller’s bill pay which is called “ipay” (which a lot of credit unions use) is far superior in that aspect…

1 Like

This has been my experience, and it can be a little confusing. But I have used Alliant bill payer for a number of years. It has always worked well for me, without exception. The only CC provider they pay consistently by mail, within my experience, is BBVA Compass. All the other payments are sent electronically.

Does anyone else use the Alliant Signature VISA with Quicken and find that downloading transactions to reconcile a statement is not possible? I find this crazy I have to go back to paper to hit a statement balance.

There is something i always wondered about…although Alliant says they do not participate in CU Shared Branching, when you go to the shared branching website and put in Alliant CU they come up as participating, so if that is true, has anyone had an experiences actually using it in a CU shared credit union branch? And what services did you use? And did it actually work?

I’ve used Shared Branching in the past. CUs are allowed degrees of participation in the Co-op Shared Branch network. Alliant says they don’t participate in external shared branching, but they do handle transactions from members of other credit unions.

The only way to know for sure is to go into a branch and try to deposit or withdraw.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, ArgyII :slightly_smiling_face:
Guess i would have to try it to find out if a particular cu branch will do it…

Why not pay directly from the Credit Card company and let them pull it out of the checking account?

I am aware of that option. Reason for avoidance is necessity of giving my Alliant account number to another entity, something I try hard to avoid doing or at least minimize.

Everybody needs a banking hub. Alliant is my hub. If Alliant security is penetrated or goes south, my world falls apart. But if my world falls apart, at least I will not have to guess where the security failure occurred. :wink:

2 Likes

I believe your routing number and account number is seen by every institution or anyone you pay, whether by check or electronic means. It’s the only way to transfer the funds.

That is one reason I pay everything possible by credit card, so I usually just have just a few outside payments per month.

Agreed, Argyll. I’m pretty certain you are right. And I, too, pay using my CC (Alliant or otherwise) whenever possible.

My concern at BBVA, over entering my Alliant account data there, was over possibility of them storing my account data, which I’m pretty sure they do.

To be completely honest, I did it once. I gave BBVA my Alliant account data so BBVA could do an ACH pull. Then I (later) became concerned and more cautious. Whereupon I went back into my BBVA account to have a look. Sure enough, my Alliant account data was being stored. That made me nervous and I eradicated the Alliant data . . . I hope. I really have no way to be certain they actually removed it from their system. I only know I no longer can see the Alliant data in my BBVA account.

Look, I don’t always get stuff right. Sometimes I do things I later regret. Certainly there have been no problems so far. But there is so much bad stuff going on these days everywhere, I try to be as cautious as I’m able. Alliant being my hub, giving out my Alliant account numbers unnecessarily is not prudent.

They see your account number every time you make a payment, but maybe not with Billpay.

Not sure you’re right about that, Argyll. There is no need for Alliant, when sending my payment to BBVA, to provide them my Alliant account number. My BBVA account number? Sure. BBVA needs that in order properly to credit the payment. My name and address? Not really necessary but probably included, probably provided to BBVA as a way to double check and confirm things.

But my Alliant account number? I do not think so.

It’s just a guess, but I would agree. Since bill pay checks aren’t going to have your account number in the micr line, BBVA wouldn’t know it. Unless, for some reason, alliant provided it to them elsewhere.