Alliant Credit Union

Sorry for any misunderstanding. On my screen your (earlier) post is shown with a response arrow pointing to my “S” symbol which is alongside my screen name, shinobi. I took that to mean you were replying to me in particular as opposed to the thread in general.

ETA

BTW I appreciate your mention of the warning letters. Cannot speak for others. But for me that is the first time I have heard of the sending of such letters. I don’t think Barry mentioned having received such a letter, but possibly he did mention it and I overlooked his mention.

When you click the “Reply” button below a particular post, it’s treated as a reply to that person. When you click the blue Reply button at the bottom of the thread, I think it’s treated as a generic reply to the thread, or maybe to the OP. Just FYI.

2 Likes

Agreed. That always has been my own understanding, too.

the wrap up with Alliant not paying out on GCMall/Gift cards.com. Emailed them about how its unwise not to give advance notice, but as said above, its in the T&C. The refer me to that. But in the past 8 months of card use, my grocery purchases inc. VGC seem ok. So Ill buy groceries at the same time. I feel if its not obvious, they seem ok. Just have to be careful. But the fee for the 2nd year ruins it. You can get a Discover Miles for 3% and they don’t bother you… so far

Note, though, that Discover Miles is only an effective 3% in year one. After that, the card goes to back of wallet.

correct, but I am using one of my sons cards with 2 months to go. My other son will apply in about 6 weeks. I already did mine last year. A good run so far. A couple of my groceries dont look at the card anyway. CVS was always great by not checking names on card, but I find OV harder to liquidate.

If you became an authorized user on the other cards, would that disqualify the 3% benefit?

This post is for information only. I am not responding to anyone else here:

Alliant, regarding their Signature Visa credit card, is sending our information to the credit agencies once each month on the day our statements close. In particular they send information regarding our balance (i.e., how much we owe) at the moment the statement closes. You can think of it as a snapshot of our status at that moment. After that there is no further updating until another month passes.

I’m posting this to help anyone concerned about their utilization reporting.

Other credit card issuers I have checked follow the same procedure. But you have to check individually. Some credit card issuers do not tie their reporting timing to statement closure.

I’m pretty sure they all do. The only exception I know is Amex, who used to report your previous statement balance at the beginning of the following month instead of when the statement closed, but I don’t think they do this anymore.

1 Like

Fair enough. My comment was not from personal experience. My experience agrees with yours.

What I wrote was based on one of the references I was reading before I posted. Suffice it to say I think it would be worth a telephone call to check and be certain before just assuming the report goes out when statement closes.

There are hundreds of different credit card issuers. Some of them might have decided to do things differently.

Elan reports the end of month balance, not the statement balance.

2 Likes

You don’t have to call anyone. Look at the amount reported on your credit report. The date you had that amount on your credit card balance is the date that was reported.

2 Likes

The vast majority of credit card issuers report the statement balance to credit bureaus once each month. A few do it at some other time, but it is still normally just once a month.

1 Like

Agreed, Argyll. That is good thinking!

In my own case a credit report does not always fall readily to hand, so telephoning them also works.

freecreditreport.com and creditkarma.com

Credit goes to someone else who posted them in another thread.

2 Likes

I just got off the telephone with two of the credit reporting agencies. Both gave me answers, which I’m reporting here FWIW:

My Alliant CC statement closes this Friday evening. Guess that is the same for many Alliant members who have the Alliant CC.

Naturally I’m being extra cautious because the closing is happening on Friday the thirteenth. :grinning:

Now seriously once again:

I questioned both credit reporting agencies regarding delay between a CC issuer reporting and the outcome of that report showing up on my credit report. Both credit reporting agencies gave me the same answer:

The information is sent to them electronically and is reflected on our credit reports very quickly. It might take a day or two day tops, but really it is nearly instantaneous. I failed to ask about weekends (should have), and if weekend days inhibit rapidity of reporting. But regardless our Alliant CC data from Friday evening should be reflected on our credit reports surely no later than, say, next Wednesday . . and most likely well before that.

My one year anniversary for the Alliant 3% CC is coming up soon. I wonder if anyone has gone through this yet to see if:
a) They will waive the $59
b) If they offer a non-fee card so I don’t have to close the account and affect my credit score?

Thanks!

Apologize I have no useful response for you. My time is not yet close to expiring. If I knew the answer to your question I would be happy to try to assist.

What does confuse me just a bit is your apparent intent possibly to surrender your card if unable to avoid the fee. My own take on the Alliant Visa Signature at 2.5% reward is that the card is a gold mine, fee or no fee. I guess that aspect is different for everyone.

This is just an Alliant data point. Not really sure at all this is even worthwhile to post, but here it is FWIW.

Regarding Alliant Visa Signature card at 3%; a very sweet card:

I paid off my card last Tuesday with money which was resting, and HAD BEEN sitting, in my Alliant savings account for a while. IOW, these were not funds new to the credit union; not at all.

Last evening our statements closed.

This morning my payment from last Tuesday still has not impacted my available credit. Admittedly it was a very large payment last Tuesday, one equal to the vast majority of my nominal credit line. But my available credit remains where it was last Tuesday, before the payment.

Stipulated:

I want to acknowledge, based on personal experience, that if I telephoned Alliant (which is a PITA) and so requested that they would restore my credit line straightaway. I have done this a couple of times in the past. So it’s not as if there is refusal to restore my credit line; not at all. It’s just that I’ve not called. Please to not interpret this post as one of complaint. Instead, I’m conducting an experiment.

I decided this time, just for the halibut, to try to determine how long it would take them, in the absence of a telephone call from me, to restore my credit line on their own. Confess I thought statement closing last evening would put things right. Got that wrong. I can hold out a few more days in effort to satisfy my curiosity about this.

Adding to the mystery:

Need to mention that on other occasions, in the past, when I made a payment against my card balance, my credit line was restored quickly, within a day or two, and with no intervention (no telephone call) by myself. However, those were much smaller payments, perhaps only a grand or two, or even less than that.

So does the rapidity of credit line restoration at Alliant relate to the size of your payment, with much larger payments taking longer? I really do not know. Truth is I don’t have a handle on their procedures in this regard at all.

I use the Transfer Money option at the top of the page. Funds move immediately and are credited the same day, although it doesn’t show up online in the receiving account until the next day.

I did a transfer yesterday morning. It shows in my card account today, posted as of yesterday’s date.