Alliant Credit Union

If you don’t think you can qualify with BOA Premium Rewards, or have some secret source of MS that is worth heavy hitting for the 3% period, the 2.5% Cashback Signature card is pretty good. But long term BOA Premium Rewards is better, provided you can use the $100 airline credit.

This was not my personal experience with Alliant. My score is decent (>800), and I have been careful never to mess up or to pay late, etc., nevertheless:

When I requested a c/l increase they told me, in no uncertain terms, to go pound sand.

1 Like

Alliant CU turned me down for the first cc I requested. They did come back with the 2% cash back cc if I mailed many items. My tax records for 2 years, ID, bills paid with my address. I decided to send the items. Finally I did receive the cc with $2500 limit. Big Deal!
My big problem: house paid, cars paid, etc. I do have business credit card (high limit), but they don’t count that.

Gotta agree with you.

A $2500 credit line is as much a personal insult as anything else. Sad.

The Alliant CC operation is not as good as is Alliant Credit Union on the deposit side. I had a CC issue and telephoned them. A polite rep apologized and said, while she did not have the answer to my dilemma, that I would receive a call back.

It never happened. :slightly_frowning_face:

Yes, the $2500 cc limit is hard to take. But I’m going to keep the utilization % to a low rate. Hopefully in 6 months they will raise that limit. I need at least a $5K+ limit.

The earlier post that told about raising their cc limit every 6 months has been deleted. Wonder why?

Alliant’s loan/CC departments don’t have the greatest reputation. If you read user reviews on various sites, you’ll see that nearly all of the negative reviews come from those departments.

I’ve never had an issue with any of the deposit accounts we hold - checking, savings, or up until November, our HSA.

1 Like

Dunno. It is possible that poster, after further review, thought perhaps his posts might be too personally identifying and might threaten his anonymity.

I think they may have a monkey throwing darts in their CC department. I initially got a notice that implied I was denied, which shocked me because I have an 800+ score. However, then they sent me the card with a $20K limit, which was also pretty surprising since I have a moderate income and don’t have any other limits that high.

1 Like

Alliant credit cards do not allow cardholder to adjust cash advance (CA) limit independent of credit limit. This totally sucks and is, in fact, ridiculous.

Also, the Alliant credit card operation is messing around with statement closing dates. This not only sucks, it might even be against the law. I know with my other credit cards the statement always closes on the same day each month. Alliant moved my closing day without notice.

Finally, Alliant credit cards do not allow cardholders to select statement closing day of their choice. A day is assigned, instead.

The Alliant credit card operation (only - not the credit union itself on the banking side) is totally and completely bush league, right out of the twentieth century!!

1 Like

The Alliant closing date can change one day depending on the number of days in the month. For instance, mine has always been on either the 13th or 14th. Most months with 30 days it is the 13th; most months with 31 days it’s the 14th, but it varies slightly (there is also a month with 28 days). You can call to find out if you are unsure.

Your account’s statement closing date will vary in order to keep the same-length grace period and the same payment due date, as required by law.

To reiterate: The grace period and due date are required to be the same, not the statement date.

The credit card operation seems fine to me. I’ve had a card for ten years with no problems and excellent service.

1 Like

My Alliant card is not my only credit card. My other credit cards have a consistent statement closing date. It does not vary. It is the same day every month.

I do not care about my grace period or due date. But my statement closing date is very important to me, and it drives me NUTS when it changes.

Also, for the record:

My Alliant card statement closing date was the same for September (30 days), October (31 days), and November (30 days). Then, in December (31 days) it jumped forward by one day. Only God knows what it will be this month. This is totally unacceptable, and does not meet industry standards or comply with law.

The Alliant CC operation is, in essence, a loose cannon.

It sounds like you should cancel your Alliant credit card and credit union membership immediately.

3 Likes

Not at all. But I do wish Alliant would upgrade its CC operations to meet industry standards commonplace today, rather than ignoring those standards.

Also, I have been clear repeatedly to separate my comments regarding the Alliant CC operation from the Alliant banking side, which is excellent. That being the case, your remark about resigning my Alliant membership on the banking side is unfair.

As I said earlier, I just recently obtained an Alliant cc. They generously gave me a cc limit $2500 (an insult, since I have actually been with Alliant CU for over 10 years). I am working on getting an increase in this limit.

I have only been with them on the cc issue for 1 month. I have been paying the balance each time I reach $250 to keep the utilization % rate close to 10%. Today I received my first closing date 1/08 with a minimum $25 due. I almost refuse to pay a service charge, but I’m going to pay the minimum payment today & continue to keep the utilization rate low for a few months.

Are you going to pay interest in the hopes that it will help with a CLI?

Yes. I was told I should keep a low utilization rate. By paying regularly when the balance reaches the utilization % point I keep the balance low. Also I should pay the minimum payment requested each month. By keeping the balance low I shouldn’t have to pay much interest. Does this sound right??

I have a Business credit card which has a huge limit allowed. I have always used this card because I gain airline mileage. I don’t fly that much anymore, so decided I would quit using this card & go for a cc which offers cash instead of mileage To bad Alliant CU doesn’t use my Business cc to base my credit rating.

It does meet industry standards and does comply with the law. Citi, Amex, Elan, FNBO, and plenty others all have statement dates that can vary month to month. A personal inconvenience to you is not illegal. If you dont like it, move on to another card issuer.

5 Likes

I do not believe that will do anything other than cost you interest without any positive benefit; you should pay in full after the statement cuts. Others can chime in - maybe I’m missing something but I’ve never heard anyone on Fatwallet or other finance boards advocate paying interest to help with a CLI.

4 Likes

When my wife moved to the U.S. with no credit, out banker had to pull some strings just to get her a $1k limit. He said to use it regularly and pay it off each month. After 6 months, we asked for an increase thru Chase’s website and were denied. Back to the bank manager who got it lifted to $3k. After that, they kept raising it every 5 or 6 months until we moved. It’s at $20k now and I don’t care if they ever raise it again.

I’m going to take your advice. I cancelled the minimum payment & instead paid the balance on the cc account. I just want to increase the limit allowed on this new card. Somewhere I saw that I should keep a low balance on the card & pay the minimum amount required at the due date.

In 6 months ask for a limit increase on the card. (I sound like an amateur money person & really it only applies to this new **** cash credit card).