Alliant Credit Union

@craig10x What rate do they pay on Checking? Can’t seem to find that info. Higher than Alliant?

No Interest on the Checking Account…just the perks (excellent bill pay, unlimited atm rebates debit card)…The high rate on the Savings Account on the 2nd tier ($25,000 and up) at 1.55% apy makes up for the small amount of interest i lose on the checking side…

Their Mobile App is also quite excellent…and has no limits on how large a check you deposit through it! And the first $5000 gets no hold at all…

Figure if you average $5000 to $6000 a month in the checking with no interest as compared to getting, say 1% interest on it each month, means a yearly loss of maybe $40 after taxes…

It would be helpful if this Alliant CU thread focuses on Alliant, and discussion of other companies goes in the High APY Liquid Accounts thread or their own threads.

5 Likes

@craig10x so wouldn’t it make more sense to keep your savings at PurePoint at 1.6% and keep money in checking at Alliant at 0.65% with Alliant 1 day transfers between Alliant and PurePoint? I’m not seeing the benefit to Incredible with the lack of interest on checking?

More convenient to have both with IB…You can make instant immediate transfers from the savings side when you need money in the Checking side…

Actually, with Alliant’s 0.65% on the checking, you would only lose maybe $25 a year from not getting the checking interest…look at it that way…Also IB’s Bill Pay is MUCH better than Alliant’s…many more electronic payees…and even e bill options…

Also IB has really excellent and personal customer service…i’ve been pretty impressed with it!

Makes sense but not for me. I’m not open to a $25 yearly fee for better Billpay.

No problem…just a suggestion…everyone has different priorities, i suppose…
To me, I’d rather get $2 less per month and have the convenience of both accounts together as well as a better bill pay service…:wink:

Incredible Bank? You trust Incredible Bank??? Good golly!! Don’t you know the definition of “incredible”?

Incredible has been around since 2009…they are actually one of the oldest “internet banks” and they are part of River Valley Bank which is a 14 branch bank in Wisconsin which has been around since 1967…so yeah, i would think i could trust them…

Actually, they are pretty incredible! (lol)…

To each his own. I prefer to bank with Credible Bank. Now theres a name you can trust!!

I am on my last legs with Alliant. First they couldn’t get me a cashier’s check (only “Official Checks” which escrow didn’t accept), then they only accept cash through ATMs (I kinda knew this, but I live 20 miles from their branch and couldn’t deposit cash…), and now their rates aren’t consistently #1. I got an email from Barclays touting 1.5% a couple of days ago, and Alliant hasn’t moved. I don’t want to wait until the beginning of the month to get better rates, I just want them strong all the time.

I may end up using Chase as my B&M since there are so many locations (I tend to buy/sell cars), and just push my money around chasing rates. Luckily I opened a couple of Ally no penalty CDs @ 1.75% a few weeks ago, so I don’t have too much tied up with Alliant now.

scripta, do you recall which issuer? Haven’t heard that one before…absent other corroboration, I would assume it’s a one-off observation and not attach much significance to it.

Welcome craig,

That sounds interesting. Would you consider starting a thread to discuss and vet this option? It warrants its own thread; moreover, Argyll is right that it would be better not to veer off topic from Alliant. TY!

1 Like

I don’t remember exactly, but I suspect it was either Discover or CapOne, since those are my smallest lines and I have notes about denied CLI from a few years ago.

Hi Dave Hanson! I probably would but i may be closing them soon…They are really good (as i pointed out in my previous posting) but i decided to trim down on the amount of accounts i have, so that is the main reason…

I actually have most of my big cash over with AMEX Savings now and Bank of America is my day to day banking place…Alliant CU is a good place to use as a cushion account for excess money i don’t want to keep over at AMEX…I do hope they raise the rate, come Feb 1st…

they are very good with cash back. I find I get most problems solved via their email system.

1 Like

good to see some familiar names from FW here. If one does MS on this card it seems very good for me. Have card for 5 months at 3%. 10k CL. I use it for most spend everyday plus online gift card buying. Then it becomes a 5% card via Topcashback. I spend about 15k total per month. I pay back the card and the CL is refreshed in about 2-3 days. Only problem is that to pay it back I had to open their interest savings acct as they don’t have an ACH system to pay the CC. But not bad. xfer $ from outside bank to the savings, then pay the CC from savings. On Mon-Wed, the payments go thru the next day and within 2 days cl is back. On Fr-Sun it takes an extra 2 days. But I don’t care. never said a peep on grocery spend (with Visa Gift cards).

1 Like

@craig10x are you still using Nationwide Savings and Checking combo?

No, dropped them some time ago…they were pretty good though…and the bill pay they use just happens to be fiserv (the formerly “checkfree”) which Bank of America, Chase, Schwab, Ally Bank and many others use…

No atm rebates, but they do have both Allpoint and Moneypass, so you do get a lot of free atm coverage…

Biggest drawback with them is low ach transfer limits…

Good to see this never-ending saga continuing here. Craig, havent you learned to just leave your ‘old’ accounts open, since you’ll likely rotate back to them within a year anyways? :wink:

2 Likes