Alliant Credit Union

You could just billpay the card from an outside bank. Although some billpay services still force a paper check when paying this account.

Hey glitch99…good to see you again! :slightly_smiling_face:
Yeah, i never learn, do i? :wink:

Bill pay takesway too long to post.at leasy a week. Transfers from savings is much faster

1 Like

As I said, some billpay systems mail a paper check to Alliant. But those that send electronically post at Alliant the next-day.

How is the 3% card for massive spend? Really would like to bump up to 3% and keep doing the same heavy spend

You get one of those automatically with CU membership. With $5 in it that you can’t withdraw.

2 Likes

I have had no problems with the 3%. It has been very nice. Transfer the bonus to you Alliant savings for quick service instead of a statement credit.

1 Like

As of the last few months. there are many data points of people getting “knock if off” letters if their spending is abnormally high.

I do think that even heavy regular spend will be tolerated at Allilant. It’s a fantastic everyday spend card IMO.

Shinibi, I was thinking about moving liquid funds over to PurePoint 1.60%. Then I noticed a new establishment, ableBanking advertising 1.70% MM Savings, requiring $250 opening. I checked on their Texas rating & decided to open another new acct with ableBanking.

I started the online application last week, 1/25. It is a quick & easy operation. I followed all the steps an was able to log into the acct yesterday 1/29. This morning the $250 is showing in the acct & also the first $25K from Alliant CU into the acct.

I still don’t like the idea of only being able to move a max of $25K from Alliant CU. But they do move fast (one day) & I do like that about Alliant CU. Also am wondering if they will raise their Savings % rate soon.

pattyb53

I hope your new provider, ableBanking, works out well for you.

As for Alliant, we will know very shortly their next interest rate move . . . if any. I was satisfied to leave funds at Alliant when the difference in rates between them and PurePoint was small. But 1.6% wiped away that option. Now it is up to Alliant to remedy this situation.

Lack of movement at Alliant would signal, for me, possibility of an underlying problem. Instead, I hope all is well at Alliant and that they are able to move the savings interest rate up somewhat.

I’m also waiting for a big increase. If they don’t hit at least 1.6%, I’m out. The changes only happening at the top of the month annoy me as well…not sure why they can’t constantly update their savings percentages.

Alliant provides a level of service you cannot find at, for example, PurePoint. Hence, I will be surprised if they go all the way up to 1.6%. Personally would be happy to see between 1.4% and 1.5%, enough interest so that the shifting back and forth becomes too much of a nuisance.

I prefer to keep money at Alliant for the sake of convenience and instant access. But when the rate difference is too great I cannot defend doing so.

1 Like

And I like Alliant Bill Pay service, also you can’t beat the l day ACH service.

But, I did take a good chunk out & moving to ableBanking 1.70%. I still keep enough in Alliant to make my monthly CC payment.

1 Like

I have a feeling they won’t be raising the rate…especially since the feds aren’t raising rates at this time…If they do, i think the best you will see is: 1.35% apy

Agree, I’m thinking 1.35% and 1.4% if we’re extremely lucky!

I’m not sure what you consider “massive spend,” but I spent about $20k last month without any issues.

Alliant Savings raised to 1.45%

Also, a story from last May about Alliant’s decision to issue high reward credit cards:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/alliant-credit-union-raises-roof-credit-card-rewards/

3 Likes

Wow. 1.45%. A jump from 1.30%. That’s quite unexpected.

That is a really excellent reference, Argyll. Thank you for posting.

Clicking on one of the links in Argyll’s reference, I discovered this comment page related to the Alliant 2.5% (3% first year) credit card:

comments page

I have experienced the same problem described there with my own Alliant CC. I telephoned them and, after a certain amount of hassle, my credit line was freed up.

But the point is that Alliant does appear to be limiting, or at least seeking to limit, spending on the card on a monthly basis. I’m not entirely clear on this because I’m not really engaged in serious manufactured spending (MS) activity. I just bump my head owing to (more or less) normal spending.

Argyll I understand where you’re coming from, and I’m sympathetic to a degree to your thinking.

In my case the money was already on deposit at Alliant, and had been for a while! So I know the funds were good and available. Still, there was a delay imposed in paying off my CC balance until I telephoned them.

If there is a monthly spending limit associated with the card, that limit should be disclosed up front for all to see and know.