Like everything else Amex has done lately,
Changes are mostly negative with most of the ‘positive’ changes things that remain poor after the ‘upgrade’. Looks like I will delete my new delta platinum card shortly after the 1yr mark (and hopefully not adversely penalized by Amex for being too close to “cancelling in first year” which is disallowed in terms). I got it just for the large sign-up bonus that was available of $500 credit on $1k delta spend and 50k miles… Before the newly announced AF increase with no new benefits, I was trying to justify the companion cert and checked bags as maybe being worth $200 or at least to try to find that value once.
Edit: Alternately, maybe I downgrade to the Blue and the Pay with Miles feature will at least get me an extra ~10% benefit on the 55k miles I have from the Platinum card.
Free and Gold: I didn’t bother to look at
- Annual fee increases 28.2% from $195 to $250
- Delta Sky Club per visit fee increases 34.5%, from $29 to $39
- Loss of 10k miles bonus at $25k spend and 10k miles bonus at $50k spend
- Increase to delta points earned per category (2x-3x for Delta, 1x-2x for Restaurants/Hotels). Still all pretty terrible compared to other premium cards available. (CSR, etc)
- Global Entry fee credit. Worthless to me, worth something to others, max value <$25/yr
Net Value change for the Delta Platinum: Minimum cardholder loss per year of $35. Max loss of ~$255 (if one would use $50k spend for the MQMs, they now lose $200 worth of delta points.)
- Annual fee increase of 22.22% from $450 to $550
- Removal of Sky Priority Security Access benefit
- Removal of 15,000 miles at $30k spend and 15,000 miles at $60k spend
- Increase to delta points earned for Delta spend from 2X to 3X (all other at 1X)
- Global Entry fee credit. max value <$25/yr
- Access to Complimentary upgrades (members without medallion status)
- 2 Delta Sky club one-time passes (for guests)
- Access to Centurion Lounge (only while flying on Delta)
- 15,000 MQM at $90k spend and 15,000 MQM at $120k spend
Net changes: For a very high delta spender (lots of flights, $120k credit card spending…), has some added features maybe worth the $100-$400 extra cost to them. Centurion lounge (only on Delta), Sky Club guest passes, more MQM available at $90k/$120k spend.