Are we in another real estate bubble? If so, what will pop it?

yup, I had to snake a drain once and the thread from the U to the wall was almost mud. Good thing it’s the drain and there’s no pressure on it so some creative, uh, sealant did the job. The supply line are all galvanized so I’m running down the timer on that. I do have a friend that does rehab for a living but he lives on the other side of the state. I guess one day I just need to shell out some $$$.

I have some old galvanized supply lines. I have a couple of galvanized repair clamps in different sizes, some silicone self fuzing tape, and some rubber stoppers as a sort of emergency kit.

It was the third straight quarter of decline for Manhattan real estate. Prices fell, sales declined, and inventory rose. Sales for new developments plunged by 37 percent, and there’s now a 15-month supply of luxury units.

NBR

1 Like

Wife and I half-heartedly home shopping. Talked with a boomer about his house, and he just refused to budge on the price. Looking to get a 10% premium over comps. Tries to justify it with upgrades and maintenance (a “new roof” is not an upgrade–that’s general maintenance).

I think what’s really going on is that he has a number in his mind that he wants/needs for retirement to work and refuses to deviate. This doesn’t end well for him and others who look at their houses through rose-colored glasses.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, the fix-upper/teardown next to me sold within a week and probably had tons of offers.

I am half wishing for a correction as there’s some “deferred maintenance” I wish can be done without chasing for contractors.

2 Likes

YMMV. My city’s population grew 16% (330,000 people) from 2010-2017. ~2% last year. There’s going to be people to buy until people flee from cities or the local economy crashes. There’s only so many people that can be stuffed in each house.

Edited to correct numbers vs memory after looking them up

3 Likes

Meanwhile, in a week he’ll have a full price offer. Can’t blame someone for holding out on their price when talking with a half hearted shopper.

Unless it’s one of those fsbo that has “upgrades” like stick on vinyl tiles and a 5ft ceiling in the shower. But will give you 3% off of their inflated asking price if they don’t have to pay a realtor 6%!

I don’t see a point in someone “half heartedly” looking at houses. It should be 0-heart ideally, but it makes no sense looking if you don’t know what you want and what you’re willing to pay for it. If you’re not ready to submit an offer immediately (not necessarily at list price and not if it fails your expectations where you see it), aren’t you wasting your own time?

Everyone needs a hobby.

1 Like

But a what a miserable hobby it can be. :frowning:

Bend3r, the dream of the 90s is alive in Portland.

Housing starts in June plunged 12.3%.

National Association of Home Builders Chairman, Randy Noel, stated the drastic drop was caused by the skyrocketing prices for lumber, as a direct result of tariffs and opportunistic profiteering.

2 Likes

Yup.
http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/387556-results-of-lumber-tariffs-highlight-the-folly-of-protectionism

1 Like

Well, viewed in isolated context, that drives demand even higher?

We know that recession is coming but the question is that will it be a standard one or a great one like 08. Inflation # will be interesting to watch and Ding Dong is tweeting on Fed Reserve trying to keep that check. All and all, I fear the coming recession.

I started to read that as a news piece. Considering today’s reporting, I just found it sad … until the writer’s was identified by title. I was shocked, shocked. :slight_smile:

I presume that this is the same dispute that was going on in the 90’s about the Canadian government subsidies and the stumpage fees.

Yeah, definitely an opinion piece. I found it when I googled what @JoeFriday posted since he rarely posts links to his sources.

The Fed tends to lean even harder in the opposite direction when an administration attempts to bully them. How stupid can you get ?

BTW, he also spoke out against the Fed in an interview with CNBC.

Existing home sales down 0.6% in June, the third straight monthly decline. May and June are supposed to be prime months for INCREASED home sales every year (I’m willing to chock April up to unusually cold and stormy weather).

Then why not attribute June to unusually hot and molten weather?

Because it’s normal for it to be hot in June. The third week of June is normally the hottest of the year. Spring came abnormally late and April was well below average. Not to mention, the weather may not have anything to do with it, I was merely allowing that it could, given that many in the housing industry claimed it was a factor.