Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

what if no one would dispute (only child, no other heirs etc). Is it illegal or just contentious?

If you could be absolutely sure of no claim/dispute, you could probably get away with it. It’s still illegal, but without a reason to look closely, who is going to notice/complain?

FYI, if the account receives direct deposited SS (and that is NOT a Nazi reference for everyone that jumps so quickly) payments, the SSA will notify the bank of the death, and the bank will then lock the account.

1 Like

As Goose says, a transfer after death is likely illegal, but in most cases would still require a complainant for there to be any legal consequences. After death, only the estate executor has such authority.

I’m also pretty sure that, technically, a beneficiary is only entitled the funds in the account as of the time of death. But that’s generally based on/enforced under the premise that after death there should be no further [legal] transaction activity.

1 Like

we are talking here about just transferring the money to another account the deceased had where the beneficiaries are listed…Should be no problem as long as you are in synch with everyone who are beneficiaries…and no worries about anyone protesting…

3 Likes

We’re talking about whether it is LEGAL or simply something one may get away with.

The fact is that the money in an account without beneficiaries simply does not belong to the beneficiaries of another account until the court or the estate executor says so. Even if it works out, doesn’t mean it is legal. For example, such beneficiaries may be stealing from the state, which might have collected probate fees had the account gone through the usual legal process.

1 Like

I started a new thread on SoFi checking&savings since I had a few other thoughts to share and we might as well get a dedicated thread:

3 Likes

Bask Bank High Interest Savings Account 1.25%

Bask Interest Savings Account | Bask Bank

5 Likes

No hoops to jump through or requirements. No joint accounts but can add beneficiary (which means 2 accounts for a couple for $500K FDIC coverage). $100K/day ACH limit. Looks better than SoFi at this point. :+1:

3 Likes

wow wonder if they’ll up the # of AA miles (my new preferred currency now that i’m traveling again)

1 Like

Great rates and your helping to support their independence from Spain. :laughing:

4 Likes

How does Bask Bank value the AA miles for 1099INT purposes?

Darn separatists!

1 Like

i think 1c/mile? Also remember low taxes when you redeem , except on BA

They value the miles at 0.42 cents per mile for your 1099.

It’s been a good deal, but I’m flipping over to the 1.25% now.

3 Likes

Marcus is up to 0.60%

Wealthfront is up to 0.85%

2 Likes

Bask Bank 1.25% Liquid Savings looks good.

I’m going to drop out of SoFi. Thought I could manage to gain their highest %rate, but only getting.70%.

Gotta go with this new Bask Bank. Certainly easy opening. Hopefully they will last for a while. :blush:

2 Likes

with the fed/ rising rates this will be the new normal now…

Any bask referral deals? I do have a bankdirect acct and they have great CS

My question is whether it’s worth the effort to change to Bask when other banks will likely start aggressively competing in a rising rate environment. Any advice on when to pull the trigger?

2 Likes

I tore up my “Rate Chasers Anonymous” card a while back.

1 Like

For anyone who likes to play the RCA game, here’s one that’s 4% on up to 20k with a 1 year guarantee. This one is especially nice because it includes more than just debit card transactions for meeting the requirement:
Only the following are qualifying transactions: Debit card purchases, checks, bill payments, ATM withdrawals and ACH withdrawals.

High Interest Checking | Elements Financial

4 Likes