Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

Northern charges $15 to receive a wire. Could be still worth it if the transfer amount is large.

1 Like

Ally Bank has moooved up to 1.65%

8 Likes

Now that Northern Bank Direct is open & set up for ACH transfer’s I tried to complete an external ACH transfer. I set it up for $25K transfer from Alliant CU. Immediately NBD refused the transfer sayingf “error”, because it was above the limit. I called & was told $5K is max, but you can do a total of $20K a month @$5K per transfer.

Best to ACH transfer funds from outside. I also did another ACH transfer of $25K from Alliant CU into NBD. Transferred without a hitch…

For those with Northpointe Bank, like myself…Some good news…i was e-mailing with a rep and put in the suggestion that they add a proper ach transfer system for external banks and not like the very limited one that they have available right now through the bill pay (if you also have checking as i do)…

He told me that in fact they will have it and it is going to be available in August! :grinning:
No details about the set up are available yet…so i can’t tell you what the speed will be and what the limits are going to be…

This will be available to all (even if you just have the savings account)…

3 Likes

When you pull using NBD’s ACH system, when is the money credited and when is it available? If the day you submit the pull is T, is the money credited on day T+1?

You can only pull $5K limit per day using NBD’s ACH system. My original $5K at opening was with Alliant CU checking. So I made a second pull of $5K & it arrived in NBD account the next day. Overnight delivery!

Answer to ? Money is credited on day T+1.

1 Like

Thank you! I like the T+1 credit and hated those where the money disappears into a black hole for a few days.

CIBC Bank Agility savings at 1.90%.

2 Likes

Hanscom Federal CU recently added Kasasa checking. It has usual Kasasa requirements. I think the rate is good and I have been happy with this CU for many years. (Have had multiple loans through them and checking / savings). Easy to join.

2.50% APR up to $15,000 (Kasasa Cash)

Requirements:

• 12 debit transactions

• 1 ACH / DD

• Electronic statements

1 Like

The extra 0.25% (over the current non-RCA leader) on $15K is ~$3.13/mo in interest income. A waste of time and effort IMO.

3 Likes

And if you already have $250k parked at Northern Bank? There are better RCAs to choose from, but given the caps they all have, this is a plenty-viable option as you work down the chain.

1 Like

Northern Bank Direct Money Mkt Account 2.26% will close 6/20. Just noticed on my account.

An excellent liquid fund account, lasting only a little over l week. I saw the advertisement an applied for the offer 6/14/18. I have been ACH transferring funds into the acct for a few days.

1 Like

To be more specific, I saw this when I went to their site:
“Alert
Please be advised that the promotional Money Market APY of 2.26% will no longer be available for new accounts as of 9:00 AM Eastern Standard Time on 6/20/18. Thank you.”

2 Likes

You can always add some P.O.D’s to the account which adds 250k in FDIC coverage per name as was recommended to me previously.

Fair point. I was “inspired” to post after seeing some recent posts in the CD thread. It seems less than worthwhile to lock up money right now in a CD when liquid accounts are competitive and rates are rising. After a quick skim of the rate table in the first post, this seemed like an account some folks may be interested in.

1 Like

The problem in this case is not FDIC coverage, but the fact that the rate is only good on the first 250K.

Even though we’re still only talking about an extra $5.62/mo in interest income, I added the Hanscom acct to the RCA table.

Added.

No POD or beneficiaries makes this CIBC account a bit undesirable to those of who realize that we’re mortal.

Very, very, well said.

I finally got off my butt this morning on NBD. Discovered impending closure of deal with 45 minutes remaining. Was able, nevertheless, to open account with lots of time to spare.

My gut let me down on this one and I’m disappointed and annoyed with myself. I really thought more good deals for liquid money would have surfaced by now. WRONG!! Heck, we are a week out from that last Fed rate increase, right? So surely something would have happened by now, right?

Completely wrong. Despite my instincts it’s been quiet in this arena.

Course with my luck a guaranteed 2.5% liquid deal will surface tomorrow. But I had no choice this AM except to grab the bird in hand . . . which is about to take flight.

I could report how smoothly the NBD account opening process went for me. But why bother? Everybody already is aware of this since everybody else already opened an NBD account ahead of me. Groan.:anguished:

shinobi, I was wondering all along if you would go for the NBD deal, I believe 2.26% is about all we can hang our hats on right now. 45 minutes to spare & you made it!! :wink:

I have moved most of my Alliant CU money over to Northern because of the rate. Yes indeed “it’s pretty quiet on the home front”. (high interest).

Bit of a wrinkle at NBD; nothing earth shaking but perhaps worthy of mention:

For the first thirty days your account is open they place all deposits on hold for five days . . . . or else it’s for thirty days . . . . not really certain. But this applies even to funds direct deposited via ACH. “On hold” just means you are not allowed to withdraw the funds. It does not mean no interest is paid.

ETA

OK, telephoned bank. It’s a five day hold on all deposits, regardless how transmitted, during the first thirty days the account is open.