Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

Popular Direct up to 2% for new accounts

Sure if you don’t mind a 60 day FORCED hold on your funds.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2018/07/popular-direct-implements-60day-account-freeze-accounts.html

I had them before I moved money to Northern Bank Direct and never ran into that issue but better safe than sorry since 2% is nothing special anymore.

Popular Direct is hard to understand.

In April I deposited the minimum for the acct to open, $25K, rate 2%. Then I started reading all the FREEZE info & I decided to take my funds out. There was a fee if account went below $500… I kept the $500 in the account thinking my interest rate would drop. Surprise!! I am still drawing the 2%.

I’d double check that the next time interest is actually applied to the account. It may still be showing that online and not update till next interest “cycle”.

What $25k minimum? Besides, it isnt a tiered account; once open, the rate is what it is. That doesnt surprise me at all.

Synchrony HYS 1.85%

1 Like

They grandfathered current customers in at the 2% rate

Added Northfield Bank 2.25% (max $100K). I know nothing about this bank or details other than what’s on their web page.

Northfield Bank - $2500 minimum balance to waive $8/month fee. Balances over $100k earns lower .9% rate on the entire balance.

any rate guarantee at northfield?

Can someone recommend a bank that consistently has high rates? I really don’t like having to move money around and worry about 1099s, etc.
Is Salem Five or Northfield or any other top tier ones consistent?

I would recommend Alliant.

2 Likes

Yes both Alliant and Ally are consistently consistent with very good rates but generally not at the very top. Neither Salem 5 nor Northfield were really players until they just recently when they raised to have top rates, probably temporarily just to get new money.

2 Likes

DollarSavingsDirect

Alliant up to 1.75%.

2 Likes

Thanks, I currently have Ally and GS Bank (Marcus). Was just wondering if there was any that was consistent and higher than this.
I am still debating whether it is worth it to open one of these ~2% banks.

I’ve have my rainy day fund at All America Bank for a couple of years, and, in that time, they’ve always been near the top of the list. I think they get a bad rap here because it is limited to $50k. You can put in another $50k in Redneck Bank which is essentially the same bank. Not worth my time chasing a quarter point more of interest at a fly-by-night bank.

1 Like

FNBO up to 1.85%. Updated table.

1 Like

SFGI Has been consistently near the top for quite a long time. (Years)