Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

They did for me.

Here’s a couple of interesting links:

[Hard Pull Or Soft Pull for Opening A Bank Account? 2021]

1 Like

Alliant is listed in your first link as a soft pull, not a hard pull.

Sorry to let you down. I’ve only ever seen score impact from opening of CCs. But cannot say for certain about financial institutions.

From other’s posts here, it’s possible some financial institutions give us a break. And that might be the basis for my gut feel. But CC issuers almost never offer us a break.

I think that people get confused over why the hard pull is done. It is deceptively easy to be applying for credit without realizing it (e.g. Schwab and overdraft or margin accounts).

But simply joining a CU should not involve a hard pull. Per Equifax’s own position on it, for example, Guide to Credit Reports & Scores - Equifax Financial Education | Equifax, a hard pull means you are applying for credit.

All the more reason to keep your credit frozen at all times so you know when a hard pull is being done.

1 Like

I am really not trying to be rude but I am going to be honest.

I never look at the wiki. The wiki is way out of date. Virtual Bank is up to 2.36%, Popular is also up to 2.36%, and Citizen’s is up to 2.25%. I don’t imagine the regulars who are posting in this thread, like myself, look at the wiki daily, weekly, or ever. The wiki would be helpful to newbies to savings rates and/or to new users perusing the site’s forums to see a forum that is up to date and actively managed. I do not understand and probably never will why this site does not use unpaid moderators to do the work of keeping wiki’s up to date and ensuring appropriate conversation like most other forum based websites do. I contribute what I feel is useful information. I’m not doing housekeeping on the wiki for whoever owns this site. I’m happy to take my posting elsewhere if my opinion on this is not popular.

1 Like

Agreed. A hard pull is a hard pull is a hard pull.

(Insert your own joke here)

Well, words mean things. A “hard pull” is just a short hand way of saying “an application to borrow money.” If a CU does a hard pull in the absence of a request to borrow money from them, then they are misrepresenting your application to your credit report. Doesn’t bother me because I keep my credit frozen at all times except when I want a hard pull to happen.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you. Given that there are very few contributors here on Fragile Deal, I don’t see the point of trying to maintain a chart that is more current and more accurate a dozen other places.

Scripta started this thread. Perhaps he or she will agree that replacing the wiki with a link to, say, Best Savings Accounts for January 2023 | Bankrate will be more useful than the wiki.

That still leaves open posts like zzz’s that call our attention to something new and interesting.

When the table was requested by several of us initially all that was required was bank, date and interest rate for the most part…now there are alot of additional fields, we are required to sort the data to ensure it’s in the right place in descending order etc and some folks at one point were rather demanding about “you need to add that to the table” to the two or three of us who were actually doing the updates as if they couldn’t add it just as easily has resulted in at least for me, no interest in updating it.

1 Like

There’s no way to know whether an inquiry was done for new membership, checking account, or credit account. The impact on the score is exactly the same – in my experience it’s approximately 2-4 points, depending on the scoring model and everything else in the report. Also “financial institutions” doesn’t make sense the way you wrote it, twice – credit cards are issued by financial institutions.

1 Like

Disagree.

Whoever owns this site is a group of FWF members, spending their own money on it without any advertising or referrals. You’re not doing anyone any favors except the regular members themselves.

Are you kidding? Bankrate sucks. Our wikis have been way better than most others, IMO. I’m just tired of updating it. I don’t get any special benefit for doing that, just a free “service” to the community. When I post rate updates I also update the wiki at the same time.

2 Likes

Marcus by Goldman Sachs up from 2.05 to 2.25 this morning.

PurePoint up from 2.15% to 2.35% this morning as well.

2 Likes

Why don’t we just like to the other Fatwallet alternative site that has moderators that actually keep the content up to date?

Oh my goodness! That is huge news for me and I missed it totally. Thank you so much for posting. I really appreciate it.

ETA

Given the great service provided by PurePoint I surely did not see so large an interest rate increase coming. I especially like their “instant interest” feature and make use of it absolutely CONSTANTLY to earn extra interest.

2.35% at PurePoint is a gift horse I certainly will not be looking in the mouth!!

And you can take that to the bank!!:wink:

1 Like

In the wake of zzz’s post I am just off the telephone with both Northpointe and Northern Bank.

In neither instance was the representative with whom I spoke aware of any intention to raise interest rates.

Great news about PurePoint!! Now I have EBSB & PP both paying 2.5%. Yahoo!!

Shinobi,

I know you’ve mentioned the instant interest before but could you recap how you do it again? I’m considering opening a purepoint account and putting $50 in till my cd matures at end of month based on all the good things you and a couple others have said about it. If I remember right you use it as your hub instead of Ally?

How do you have Purepoint paying 2.5 instead of 2.35?

Sure, no problem. I actually am working a dual hub system at this time, using both PurePoint and Alliant.

At PurePoint, if you initiate an ACH pull before 9:00 pm eastern time on their website, the money will be credited to your PurePoint account, and begin earning interest, instantly. However, you will not be permitted to withdraw those funds for four business days. For example, if you initiate the transfer prior to 9:00 pm on a Monday, your funds will be available for withdrawal the following Friday. This assumes all intervening days (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) are business days and not holidays. Also, when counting off the four days, note that at PurePoint Saturdays and Sundays are never considered business days.

Pushing money out of your PurePoint account using ACH is straightforward. Your account balance will be debited the moment you initiate the transfer. The money will appear at its destination the next business day.

I think pattyb53 was a teensy bit wide of the mark regarding the new PurePoint interest rate, which is 2.35% APY.