Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

Alliant up to 2.1% but always lagging behind Ally. What’s up with that?

At this writing Ken still has not posted on the Eagle Premium Savings deal, which is available to all. Instead he posted on some GoldenWest deal which is limited to folks living in a small portion of Utah!! Go figure.

Anyway, I held off when posting above thinking Ken would come along and clarify everything. Since that has not happened, yet, here is a link to more information on the Eagle deal posted by Ken’s readers:

Ken’s readers contribute information on Eagle deal

I continue to hope Ken himself will post this deal on his blog. He is a very smart guy in this realm and might see straightaway, or be able to ferret out, “gotchas” I am not seeing.

I mean, what the heck, 3% with a rate lock is a good rate of interest for liquid money . . . . . provided you go in eyes open and aware of any pitfalls.

Eagle Premium Savings deal…

I’m going to go for this one. Filled out the app & will snail mail the documents later today. Like you said 3% liquid for 6mo (at least)… we’ll see!

You always have demonstrated a lot of pluck, pattyb53. But be careful. One thing not clear to me is:

Exactly how liquid will our funds be, with this deal, in this bank?

In other words, everyone here knows that (for example) Ally no-penalty CDs are really liquid . . . and AgFed no-penalty CDs are quite liquid, too . . . . with scant access delay in both instances. We all have experience with those investment products.

But with this Eagle deal I have no clue how quickly I would be able to access my funds. One withdrawal every six months is fine. But how long does it take them to provide access. Are we allowed, for example, to set up an ACH link to an Eagle account? I dunno.

I would foresee few problems getting money into the Eagle deal. But this is our liquid accounts thread. It’s getting the (supposedly liquid) money out timely that would give me pause.

This is speculation:

It’s possible Ken is taking longer to feature this deal because it is so unlike others and he is having trouble getting a handle on all the facets. Ken is incredibly cautious, which is good. He will not post a deal when he has concerns his readers could be harmed.

shinobi, couldn’t I sit up Alliant small deposits early with Susquehanna Community Bank. Then if I needed the whole $100K, just ACH transfer out with Alliant CU in one lump sum? It seems I read that you can only transfer I time a month without a penalty.

Anyway my stuff is in the mail. I used Priority & she said it should arrive by Friday (no guarantee). Then it dawned on me that Monday is a holiday, so it may take until Tuesday. Maybe by then we will know more details.

I do not have answers regarding this account. However, I am pretty certain the account allows just a single withdrawal every SIX months . . . . not one per month.

It’s a quirky account. Be careful.

@shinobi Yes, I agree, it’s one withdrawal every 6 months - seems pretty clear from their brief summary on their website. As far as @pattyb53 's thought on ACH’ing 100k using Alliant to pull the money, I thought Alliant had fairly conservative ACH limitations - something like 25k a day? I’m not in on this account - yes, it’s only $250 extra interest during the 6 months versus a 2.5% account but the 2.5% accounts do not come with the limit of 1 withdrawal every 6 months, and do not require a minimum of 25k be kept in the account to avoid a fee with interest on that 25k only being 0.35%.There also appears to be an early closure fee on the account.

zzz,
Alliant CU allows (depending) me, to ACH transfer into Alliant $100K per day. To ACH transfer out only $25K. But now I understand it’s only 1 withdrawal every 6 mo. from the Eagle Premium Savings.

I may not go with this one after hearing, not so good remarks. I have only applied & mailed info at this point. If I decide not to go, I will only be losing the $7.00 Priority mail price. :wink:

Western State Bank 2.50% APY Money Market with No Minimum [Nationwide]

Offer at a glance

• Interest Rate: 2.50% APY
  • Minimum Balance: None
  • Maximum Balance: $3M
  • Availability: Nationwide
  • Hard/soft pull: Unknown
  • ChexSystems: Unknown
  • Credit card funding: Unknown
  • Monthly fees: None
  • Insured: FDIC

The Offer

The Fine Print

*** Rate effective 2/12/19 and may change after account is opened.**

Avoiding Fees

This account has no monthly fees.

From: Doctor of Credit Western State Bank Review: 3.5% APY Money Market with No Minimum [Nationwide] - Doctor Of Credit [Additional details available there]

My dilemma is this…should I maintain my Agfed 30 mth no penalty cd @ 2.40% or move the money to a 2.5% account with no guaranteed term. The agfed deal has about 23 months left. I’m thinking guaranteed 2.4 over longer period still beats 2.5 for unknown period. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I certainly agree with that!

I’m holding some of those same AgFed no-penalty certificates. I would not trade them in for the deal you mention.

Rate guarantees, or lock-ins, matter.

Me too… No question, my Ag Fed (no penalty) 2.5% is going to probably last until maturity 4/6/20.

Another thing the Eagle Premium Savings has for certain turned into a 6 mo 3% CD. Not interested!

agfed is a GREAT bank…this is my 2nd promo cd with them…my only issue is a minor annoyance…they are the one bank I deal with NOT listed on personal capital (and I think mint.com) meaning I have to add them as a manual entry. I tend to use the personal capital aggregator to keep track of all the banks/balances etc.

My other problem child is Wisebanyan…been trying to get personal capital to fix the link to that roboadvisor for 3+ years. Can’t find the CEO’s email either so I can drop him a note.

Ken has finally done his write up for the Eagle deal. Now I can find out just exactly what is going on. Gosh it took Ken a long time, but that might be because he had difficulty ferreting out all the weird aspects of the deal. Heading over to Ken’s blog now to read up.

OK, seeing now that $10 monthly maintenance fee which can impact if you do not have $25,000 on deposit. I DO NOT like that fee one bit! Could be a deal killer for many, in my view.

FNBO up to 2.25%. Updated wiki.

Did not see it mentioned before but from the big banks, it’s pretty interesting initial offering I thought: Citi Accelerate Savings 2.36% APY

Not quite 2.5% but they’re obviously trying to close the gap with top online high-yield banks.

1 Like

It’s actually an excellent deal from Citibank…You can even add checking to it as well (they have excellent free atm coverage through Allpoint and Moneypass…Makes a nice Online Banking package…

Only one drawback, if you live in a state where they have physical branches, you can’t get that rate…I live in New York, so can’t get it :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Good point. It’s available in a fair number of states but not all unfortunately. It seems like it’s the current emerging pattern. PNY has different rates whether they have physical branches in your state or not. Clearly, they’re sweetening the deal in states they’re currently not servicing via regular B&M branches.

Exactly…It’s a bit frustrating to me because i have checking, savings and a citi credit card and would love to be able to add this on to my package, but can’t…
For those “in branch area” customers, they do offer a 6 month CD with a 2.25% rate or 13 month CD with rate of 2.50% but of course, those are not liquid…

On 2/20 I closed my no-penalty CD with AgFed & transferred the funds to EBSB. The funds are showing today 2/22, in EBSB but not available. That bother’s me. I am so used to Alliant CU showing available money the next day. But surely on Monday the funds should be available for movement. (I hope)

Hello, pattyb53

I’m not in the least surprised . . . . . if you moved the funds using ACH initiated at EBSB.

However, if you wired the funds then I AM very surprised.

Your post simply does not contain enough information, and the devil is in the details . . . which you omit. However, if you initiated an ACH at EBSB, to pull from AgFed, those funds could be on hold for a week following arrival at EBSB. I suggest you telephone EBSB to learn where you stand.