Best Reward / Cash Back Credit Cards

That sentence is confusing. You don’t have to pay it off before your statement closes each month – it’s a true 2% cash back card if you pay off the balance before it’s due (and without using statement credits for payment).

1 Like

I really know nothing for certain. But I’ll take my shot anyway at interpretation:

I think the author was comparing DC rewards timing with other cards which in effect pay rewards either in real time, or at least upon closing of statement. I have such cards. I suppose we all have such cards.

Acknowledged and conceded:

Of course Citi DC is up front admitting they pay the second 1% only following, and in return for, payment. I realize that.

I keep letting my Citi DC sttement close with high 4 figure/low 5 figures. Citi keeps bumping my CL up. Now at 2x what I started the year at. First bump was in Jan, second just now.

1 Like

Very good bonuses and i have one…in fact, it’s my main use card now… :slightly_smiling_face:
Cool Looking card…too :wink:

Seeking suggestions for Visa (only) credit cards with high rewards across the board.

Currently have only three such cards, the Alliant card, my beloved Barclays Priceline card, and Chase Freedom. Rewards with those are 2.5%, 2%, and 1% respectively. Note that the much higher special category rewards with Freedom do not help me and are not important to me within the context of this request for suggestions.

I have found, on my own, the Chase Freedom Unlimited card with a 1.5% reward across the board and no annual fee. That’s not a bad deal in my view. But I don’t want to overlook any 2% Visa cards since I’m only going to take one shot at a new card right now. Also want to acknowledge the Fidelity 2% card, not an option for me since I want to avoid opening a Fidelity account for now. Probably also should mention business cards do not work for me because I’m long retired and have no business activity whatsoever.

BTW I’m noting (Cap One) Quicksilver appears a competitor to Chase Freedom Unlimited. With the negative comment around here recently regarding Cap One, as between the two I would swerve toward Chase on these 1.5% cards.

But is there a 2% Visa card out there I’m overlooking?

Not too bad, but not as good as cards that offer higher bonuses for lower spend. I haven’t applied for anything in a few years if it doesn’t net at least $500 (usually on a $3K spend, sometimes $5K). I’m sticking to 5/24 on personal cards for obvious reasons, and there are more than 5 cards with $500+ value bonuses.

1 Like

Not even the Cash Management Account? I think that’s all you need.

IMO Quicksilver is slightly better than CFU for those who don’t have or can’t justify CSP/CSR. Chase has been removing or reducing purchase and travel protections on all cards, so I think they are now worse than CapOne’s, plus Quicksilver has no FTF and forgives balances <= $1.

2 Likes

"After further review . . . . " couple of comments.

Here is what I’m finding:

Rewards at 1.5% are ubiquitous and unworthy of further mention. If you’re willing to settle for 1.5% life is good for you and you have a number of options.

2% Visa rewards OTOH, aside from the cards I already have (see couple of posts back), are much more difficult to locate. However:

It is permitted to apply for the Fidelity 2% card even if you are NOT a Fidelity customer. You do not need a Fidelity account to apply for the card! That said, though:

Having a Fidelity account makes rewards collection, as cash, easier. Nevertheless, even without a Fidelity account it is permitted to apply your rewards as a statement credit . . . to collect the rewards that way instead of in cash. This rewards collection scheme is reminiscent, to some extent, of the approach taken by Barclays with my Priceline card. I can live with it.

It’s a lot of income increase for me to go with a 2% card instead of a 1.5% card. So, unless there are better suggestions soon, perhaps it is time to put in my Fidelity Visa CC application . . . remembering it is a Visa card I am seeking with an across the board reward.

I think i read that if you don’t actually have the fidelity brokerage and just get their credit card, you don’t get the full 2% cashback anyway…Also, i have read many posts mentioning that the company that services the card isn’t too great as far as customer service…Where as AMEX has excellent customer service…but, your decision of course… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, craig10x, appreciate the post and the heads up. Will have to follow up and investigate.

Yeah, AMEX cards are in a world of their own. I cannot use 'em because the counterparties in the places I’m doing my deals steadfastly refuse to accept AMEX-branded cards, including of course AMEX cards themselves. I have an absolute TON of AMEX credit . . . all useless to me. I need Visa credit.

Per T&C:

The 2% cash back rewards value applies only to Points redeemed for a deposit into an eligible Fidelity account. The redemption value is different if you choose to redeem your Points for other rewards such as travel options, merchandise, gift cards, and/or statement credit.

1 Like

Oh, dear.:anguished:

Another one bites the dust.:neutral_face:

shinobi, I’m probably missing something, but if you already have the 2.5% Alliant Visa, why are you looking at other Visas with lower CB? If your credit limit is not sufficient, I think applying for a higher limit there would be much better than getting a new card (extra 0.5%, which you say is significant for you, and fewer cards to manage).

1 Like

The scheme I’m employing benefits from “spreading”. This means spreading purchases out across as wide a spectrum of cards as I’m able.

I have to be very careful with my credit score so must limit hard pulls. Right or wrong, I’m thinking I will do better with new credit as opposed to endeavouring to extend existing lines. However

I do take your point from another perspective and I surely appreciate your post. To wit:

If opening new credit means I must accept a lower reward then perhaps I should use my hard pull to (try to) extend existing credit instead. Quite honestly it’s a tough call, with factors on both sides of the argument. But I appreciate your having raised the issue. Thanks!

Why are you unwilling to open a Fidelity account to take advantage of their 2% card?

1 Like

You can send the money to anyone’s Fidelity account, so you don’t need one if you have a trustworthy friend with one.

It just feels wrong to open a Fidelity account solely for the purpose of obtaining their card. Am concerned regarding other demands they might place on me. I will never do any sort of brokerage business with them, so am squeamish about opening account.

We’ve had a brokerage account and their cash management account (checking) for years. There’s nothing to be squeamish about with Fidelity. We’ve never had demands placed upon us. The accounts have no fees other than when we choose to invest in something that requires a commission.

We do use the brokerage regularly. The checking wasn’t used regularly, but we recently changed that. We have the credit card rewards deposited into the checking.

2 Likes

Seems like an odd line to draw for someone that I can only assume is a manufactured spender.

I’m honestly not doing conventional MS . . . as practiced by any number of professionals posting here who have my respect and admiration. I’m a long ago retired person and conventional MS is a little too challenging for my current abilities. Old folks have to be allowed to slow down just a little . . . . . . or so I believe, anyway. If there are (seriously) senior citizens out there doing MS, the real thing I mean, you guys rock!!