Buying BRK.B vs index funds for long term investment

Watching their annual meeting on TV and the Oracle still seems to be all knowing, pretty conservative with good returns.

Thinking of Buying BRK.B vs index funds for long term, for say a $100K investment, at the next dip. What say you, pros and cons ?

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Reasonable if you want, won’t pay dividends if that helps your tax efficiency. Hasn’t made much difference in the last decade or so.

2 Likes

Good point about taxes, esp. on tax “weekend” I’d rather defer and not have dividends and capital gains to report, but buy and hold for retirement and let them do the reporting. My income varies a lot too so it would be good to have control by selling.

With my luck/time frame there will be asset taxes by the time I retire in 20 years though :frowning: but I’d rather take my chances than pay now…

He’s been underperforming due to size for a decade+, but I’m pretty confident short of a global insurance apocalypse that he’s never gonna blow up.

3 Likes

I have done that last year in a retirement account. Can’t complain. For taxable, I still prefer wealthfront!

well apocalypse or not I should have followed my advice

Charlie has died

3 Likes

Sadly, Buffet is right behind him. It’s only a matter of time.

3 Likes

RIP

5 Likes

Loved the EBITDA comment. Q is how good is the succession plan for BRK,

1 Like

Good obit advice

2 Likes

more Munger quotes

“I like people admitting they were complete stupid horses’ asses. I know I’ll perform better if I rub my nose in my mistakes. This is a wonderful trick to learn.”

“Spend each day trying to be a little wiser than you were when you woke up. Discharge your duties faithfully and well. Systematically you get ahead, but not necessarily in fast spurts. Nevertheless, you build discipline by preparing for fast spurts. Slug it out one inch at a time, day by day. At the end of the day – if you live long enough – most people get what they deserve.”

“The way to win is to work, work, work, work and hope to have a few insights.”

“In nature and in business, specialization is key. Just as in an ecosystem, people who narrowly specialize can get terribly good at occupying some little niche. Just as animals flourish in niches, similarly, people specialize in the business world – and get very good because they specialize – frequently find good economics that they wouldn’t get any other way.”

“It is remarkable how much long-term advantage people like us have gotten by trying to be consistently not stupid, instead of trying to be very intelligent. There must be some wisdom in the folk saying, ‘It’s the strong swimmers who drown.’”

“I constantly see people rise in life who are not the smartest, sometimes not even the most diligent, but they are learning machines. They go to bed every night a little wiser than they were when they got up and boy does that help, particularly when you have a long run ahead of you.”

“I believe in the discipline of mastering the best that other people have ever figured out. I don’t believe in just sitting there and trying to dream it up all yourself. Nobody’s that smart.”

“It’s not given to human beings to have such talent that they can just know everything about everything all the time. But it is given to human beings who work hard at it - who look and sift the world for a misplaced bet - that they can occasionally find one.”

• Charlie Munger (1924-2023)
4 Likes

True renaissance man: lawyer and architect…

4 Likes

He was a pretty remarkable guy. RIP.

5 Likes