CD Discussion Thread

Know of a good CD deal? Please feel free to discuss it here.

Wiki

Related threads:
Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts
I-Bonds thread

Best rates:

Bank APY Term Max Funds Comments
Navy Federal CU 3.25% 17-mo $50,000 Can Add funds later up to max
Andrews Federal CU 2.86% 8-mo $250,000 $1000 minimum
Bank5 Connect 2.55% 12-mo ? $500 minimum
Colorado Federal Savings Bank 2.51% 12-mo ??? 3 month interest EWP. $5000 initial deposit
CIT Bank 2.50% 12-mo Unlimited $1K initial deposit
Synchrony Bank 2.45% 14-mo Unlimited 180 days of simple interest at the current rate. $2000 initial deposit
Discover Bank 2.40% 12-mo ??? 180 days interest EWP. $2500 initial deposit
Live Oak Bank 2.15% 12-mo $250,000 90 days interest EWP. $2500 initial deposit.
Ally Bank 2.10% 12-mo $25K+ 60 day EWP.
CapitalOne360 2.05% 12-mo $1,000,000 90 days interest EWP. $1 initial deposit
Ally Bank 1.50% 11-mo $25K+ No Penalty.
10 Likes

There is the 5-month 3.00% up to $10,000 deal at Navy Federal:

2 Likes

What is the appeal of opening accounts at multiple places for these CD deals? I’m genuinely curious. I’ve always bought CDs from a discount broker at no charge. They’re available in terms from 3 months through 20 to 30 years. The rates are usually higher and only require $1000. When they mature, the proceeds are automatically deposited into your brokerage account. No grace period, no rollovers, nothing to keep track of.

I’m going to use Ally Bank in this illustration, because of the recent FW topic about their No Penalty CD.

Here are some rates as shown on Ally Bank’s site as of 9/29/17:

High-Yield CD - in terms from 3 months through 5 yrs. - 1.35%
Raise Your Rate CD - in terms of 2 yrs. or 4 yrs. - 1.50%
No Penalty CD - 11 months - 1.00%/<$5000, 1.25%/$5000-$24999, 1.50%/$25000+

Here are some available rates for new issue CDs at Fidelity:

3 mos. 1.15%
6 mos. - 1.25%
9 mos. - 1.35%
1 yr. - 1.40%
2 yrs. - 1.70%
3 yrs. 1.95%
5 yrs. - 2.30%
10 yrs. - 2.80%
20 yrs. - 3.10%

The rate for Ally’s High-Yield CD do beat out Fidelity’s rates for the 3 mo. and 6 mo. terms. After that, no.

The Raise Your Rate CD is lower than Fidelity’s rates for the 2 yr. term. Ally’s 4 yr. term is lower than Fidelity’s rate for the 3 yr. term.

The No Penalty CD rate requires you to tie up $25000 to get 1.50%, which is the only rate that is higher than Fidelity’s rates for comparable terms (9 mos. or 1 yr.). At $5000 - $24999, Ally’s rate is higher for the 3 mo. term, but they lose the advantage after that. If you’ve got less than $5000, you’d be better off with Fidelity’s 3 mo. rate and it only goes up from there.

Schwab also has similar CD rates, actually slightly higher rates on the shorter end maturities.

4 Likes

The No Penalty CD is really a high yield savings account and not a CD since you can get your money out anytime. For a savings account its a nice rate.

7 Likes

OK, I can understand that reasoning. I don’t use a savings account so I didn’t think of that angle.

Interesting question, Ally vs. Fidelity for CDs.

I have all my investments (index funds) at Fidelity, which is my financial hub. But I’ve always had my CDs at Ally. I haven’t looked at Fidelity’s brokered CDs in years, and at the time they were lower than what I could get elsewhere. Do brokered CDs have the same FDIC protection?

I have most of my Ally $$ in 4 yr raise-your-rate CDs, because I have been foolishly hoping that rates would rise. I have a deep psychological resistance to locking in such relatively low rates (around 2%) for periods of 3 or more years. The last several batches of CD $$ have been placed in no-penalty 1.5%.

Also, Ally generally gives you a 0.05% loyalty bonus when you renew a CD. Renewals can be for different amounts and terms, i.e., you can renew a 4 yr RYR CD with more $$ into a 1.5% no penalty CD.

For short terms and ultimate liquidity, savings accts are looking better: PurePoint at 1.3% and Ally at 1.2%.

It’s pitiful that we have to hunt for a few basis points here and there with these ridiculously low interest rates.

4 Likes

Agree! I remember having a sweep checking account at Ameritrust that earned 6% and rose to 8% over a few years. Long, long time ago. :disappointed:

Yes, brokered CDs are FDIC insured.

3 Likes

Yes, this is a good deal with Navy FCU.

It’s certainly short term. I opened 2 of these, one for me & one for spouse. But, only $10K each when I would like to see a 3% CD for a much larger balance. :wink:

Service Credit Union has a Special 30 Month CD, 2.05%.

This is a fair offer, but I will decline. I have all my extra liquid funds in the AgFed no penalty deal.

ok how do I subscribe to this thread so I get an email with new posts?

update I think I figured it out.

INOVA FCU brought back its 14mo CD at 1.75% APY ($200 minimum deposit).

Note: You may wish to read the “Beware of Fees” section here - https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/inova-fcu/offers/

GS (Goldman Sachs) Bank raised its 1yr CD rate to 1.65% APY

1st United Credit Union. 36-Month CD, 3.00% APY, $1k minimum deposit.

Good for California residents, also employees of 20 SEGs (including state & local government organizations) also qualify for membership.

I’ve been waiting for a 3%'r to come along. I would prefer 2yr but 3 yrs is acceptable.

Someone in the comments for the 1st United Credit Union 36-month CD said it’s got a 1-time bump up and you can add on funds at any time. . . and I’m not eligible :sob:

It’s been a terrible decade to be a saver, and the trend is set to continue. I would hate to lock up my money for years for a measly 2-3%, but such is the world we live in.

1 Like

NRLFCU will offer a 2% one-year CD between Oct 14-21.

Link

**** 10/11 Edit to add: The minimum deposit is $500, with a $10k balance cap, and there is a limit of one Member Appreciation Day (MAD) Certificate per member. There is also some talk that the member needs to have a checking account as well in order to get this certificate.

2 Likes

The 1st United CU, 36-mo, 3.00% will end tomorrow 10/7/17.

This great offer did not last long enough for many folks to get money there. Too bad!!

1 Like

these rates all suck. maybe i’m still living in the 80’s. for now i’m just sitting in cash looking for a hot investment or business startup

But just think of those record low margin rates for your stock investments! Wasn’t that what the Fed was telling us we should do with their super low rates? Go buy stocks or real estate with lots of cheap leverage… what could go wrong?

Actually anyone with a rewards CC can do much better than 3% at GTE.