CD Discussion Thread

Those last two are definitely BND replacements.

I am hesitant to lock into anything south of 3%. Rates could seriously ascend following the March Fed meeting. And that meeting is not so far away. February is a short month and is already more than half gone.

Iā€™ve even seen talk of a half point increase in the Federal Funds rate , , , in March.

And still later, once we enter the spring season . . . the sky is the limit.

ETA

Well, OK . . .

I might be tempted to go for a CD in the high twos . . . if it were short enough. But the low twos I donā€™t like.

It might be complimentary going through the credit union process. I just went to the Nasa Space Society page and looked at what it cost to join from there.

Tempting. I have a good chunk of change sitting in able banking earning the 1.7%. I could move it and make 2.25% for 11 monthsā€¦but with the potential rate changes I think itā€™s waiting till march to see whatā€™s available then. Still debating opening a savings account with $5ā€¦has Nasa had good rates in the past?

NASA FCU has had occasional good rates in the past on their share certificates, so for me, itā€™s worth joining. If I recall correctly, the National Space Society fee was waived during the NASA FCU application process. This may have changed, so YMMV.

shinobi, For the first time in many months maybe years, my Sunday paper had several CD ads listed. Nothing was great but the idea of an ad for CDā€™s in the paper. They both listed 2 yr CDā€™s a tad over 2%.

In another week my Consumer CU CDā€™s will mature. Like you mentioned earlier short term 3% would be nice. If nothing shows up interesting, I may just put the funds in one of the add-on CDā€™s I have. Or even put the funds into the AbleBanking Savings @1.70%.

I want to amend/correct something I wrote elsewhere. It IS possible at CCU to request early that at maturity CD proceeds are to be moved to savings. But you must make this request by contacting the new accounts department, not an everyday rep. I had spoken prior only with a rep, and I received the answer I reported. Sadly, even when speaking with new accounts, it is very likely only certain people there are able to re-code your CD. I discovered by accident this is something I did over a year ago . . . something I forgot I did.

In general at CCU, if you do not reach, or are unable to reach, the right person, there is an excellent chance you will be unable to obtain a satisfactory outcome. And if you are speaking with the wrong person, that representative will not advise you of this or forward your call. It just is a dead end.

1 Like

shinobi, I just called CCU, and found out that today is a holiday & of course they are closed.

Looking back at my original records I found the name of the person I dealt with when opening this account. So tomorrow I will call her and see if she can move the proceeds from my maturing CD to Savings. otherwise on the CDā€™s maturation 2/26/18, I will just call & make the request.

Lots of luck with that approach. My supposedly automatic closure and movement of funds to savings never happened. I telephoned them but the rep was unable to move the funds, saying I would receive a call back within 24 hours from someone who could help me!!!

All in all a very difficult and trying experience, to say the least.

My suggestion would be for you to telephone them WELL in advance and request a call back from somebody empowered to assist you. Then get that personā€™s name and extension number so you can call THEM on day of maturity. JMHO

CCU is messed up. I will not do business there again if there are viable alternatives.

Popular Direct raised the rate on its 18 month CD to 2.30% APY ($10k minimum deposit)

shinibi, You are certainly correct about CCU being messed up.

I called to make my request about the CD that matures on 2/26/18. First it took me a long time on wait for a Rep. Finally someone answered & another wait for her to gain my account & talk about closing the CD on maturity & moving funds to the Savings. So hereā€™s what happen nextā€¦I now wait for someone else to call to complete the request.

Unbelievable!!

Maybe we should have a section of the op that lists banks to AVOID based on the experience of users and users could add their useridā€™s to ā€œvoteā€ in agreement that one is bad. Iā€™m not familiar with CCU but based on those posts I certainly NEVER want to use them.

I failed to mention it earlier but, yes, that happened to me as well. Frankly, though, I would not have minded or become unsettled if, once having reached a rep, that person had been empowered to assist me. But the rep was not so empowered. And being asked to await a callback within 24 hours is not at all my idea of ā€œserviceā€.

shinobi, I just got the callback, less than 24 hrs.

She said I must still wait until the day of maturity to call & make my request. I explained that the long wait for a rep was terrible & I wished not to happen. She did give me her personal phone # so that I wouldnā€™t have to wait again. So if she is busy I can leave a message & she will abide with my request.

Still unbelievable!!

I blame myself for ignorance but (on cd with greater than a 1 year term), I thought I paid taxes on my re-invested cd interest for the year of maturity. I am trying to say if I had 2 yr cd that matured 2-25 -2018, I did not think Iā€™d get an int-1099 for 2017, but I did from CCU. Is this always true?

Assuming the amount exceeds $10 you will always get 1099ā€™s for both Dividends and Interest in the year they were earned unless the account is a tax deferred retirement account (IRA, Annuity etc).

Below $10(for interest at least, not certain about dividends) the institution can choose whether to send you a 1099 or not. Itā€™s typically cheaper for them not to.

OK, you opened the CD on 2/25/2016 and it matures in a few days.

Hence you earned interest in 2016, in 2017, and in 2018. Assuming in each instance more than $10 in interest was earned:

You should receive three 1099s in all, one for each year. You already should have received the first two 1099s, in January of 2017 and last month. You will receive your 1099 for your 2018 interest in January of 2019, next year.

And, yes, this is true in general. Only wrinkle: financial institutions have until January thirty-first of each year to mail out their 1099s. So if the institution is really slow you might not receive their mailing until early in February. But most 1099s show up toward the end of January.

Unable to locate official confirmation at this moment. But from what Iā€™m seeing the Freedom CU 3+%APY three year CD deal has died a mean and ugly death. So happy I got a piece of that deal. But sent them more $$ today which it now appears could be rejected. So it goes.

There are no other three year, 3%, CD deals out there AFAIK. Freedom fooled me a little on this one. I thought they would wait until weekā€™s end to kill the deal. That was stupid thinking on my part.

If Iā€™m right about the Freedom dealā€™s demise, that only leaves 5 year CDs of you want 3%. Iā€™m not prepared at this time to go out five years for such a low interest rate.

Guess that leaves me waiting, along with many others, for the outcome of the March Fed meeting. And heck, that meeting is a month away. :frowning_face:

CapitalOne360 is offering 2% for 12 Months.

Added to Wiki.

1 Like