Cheap easy ways to save on gas

List any cheap easy ways to save on gas. I’ll start with T-Mobile Tuesdays gives out $0.30 off a gallon codes for Shell almost weekly if not every other week. Kmart used to give out a certain percent or cents off per gallon at BP but it’s been awhile since I’ve had a Kmart near me. Obviously discounted gift cards on eBay. Any other ideas?

1 Like

Costco, if it’s convenient.
Manufactured spend at grocers that still give fuel points.
Buy the fuel points from someone else.

1 Like

GasBuddy, good either on the PC or mobile app, as long as you don’t drive way out of the way to get the lowest price. I’ve seen prices lower by 10 cents/gal. or more at stations within eyesight of each other a short way down the road.

4 Likes

So, aside from what has been mentioned, Costco and Gasbuddy, I try not to use debit or cash for any gas purchases. Also, my area has cash/credit prices in general.

Grocery chains:
This is my most reliable method. For Safeway/Albertsons, I have to buy the grocery gift card to use at the pump to get lowest gas price before rewards. I don’t overload on points as you can only get up to 1 dollar off per gallon and they limit to 25 gallons at a time. They offer lower thresholds for gas points all of the time via app promotions. For Kroger, I can use normal credit at the pump, but my area has a 20 cents or even 10 cents limit at the pump off per gallon. I believe neither grocery chains promote TopTier, but they might have it depending on who they buy from week to week.

Some cash only chains:
Arco has the biggest presence and gladly sells gift cards at grocery store chains. This is how they will do credit. They sell TopTier.

Some independents:
There are a few independent chains (found on GasBuddy) who have excellent pricing and buy the TopTier stuff from the majors. Sadly, they get hit first when supply weakens on price, but when demand drops, they get better pricing.

Some other chains:
I see some chains in parts of the country promote lower prices. I would find this via GasBuddy and keep doing the surveys for your free drink or coffee. At a value of about 3 dollars, that is equivalent to what you save on gas.

Car that you drive:
Lastly, you can look into the car that you drive. For fossil fuels, I like CNG due to supply being no longer an issue for 100 years and station availability. Hybrids can help your city driving as well as plug-in. Toyota is including 3 years of fuel on their Hydrogen Mirais (fueling station avail is the problem).

Rasheed

3 Likes

Check your tire pressure and use the A/C sparingly.

3 Likes

Buy gas from @EugeneV

4 Likes

For those who have a lot of Murphy stations, you can use WM gc there and save 3 cents per gal. Murphy stations have the lowest price of gas in my area plus the 3 cents off stacks up to savings since we don’t have gas deals like the ones in the northeast.

Those with Fuel Rewards can also get 5 cents or higher discount per gal at Shell gas stations. If Shell gas prices are the same as Murphy’s, we buy it from here especially on road trips where I stack up on discounted Shell GCs.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I have my discount available again till Nov 18

1 Like

Use A/C sparingly? Unfortunately, in Houston, TX this is advice is bordering on sadism. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t drive or own a car. Bike, walk, run, get rides from friends.

4 Likes

Use AMEX blue card for 3% cashback. SO and I switch vehicles based on who is driving the furtherest that day.

2 Likes

Platinum Honors with Bank of America Preferred Rewards nets you 5.25% cashback on gas with their 3-2-1 cash rewards credit card.

2 Likes

Also, check Plenti. The normal rate is lame (a penny a gallon) but sometimes they will have 10X on Mobil. Stack with a Mobil gift card purchased at a discount through eBay, or gift cards at Best Buy (which will trigger any Amex offers or category bonuses there, as well as Rewards Zone).

4 Likes

Driving style is a huge factor. Accelerate from stops a little slower and let off the gas a little sooner before coming to a stop, the more coasting the better mpg.

There are entire forums dedicated to driving like this to the extreme, called hypermiling. It’s interesting to say the least.

7 Likes

Note: requires $100k relationship, you can still get 5% from the Fort Knox card although their application process feels like its from the 1990s.

You wouldn’t call it that if you’re behind them. :wink:

Stock up on gift cards at Kroger when they’re giving 4X rewards, using an Amex blue of course.

2 Likes

Is Penfed Plarinum Rewards Signature 5% not the best route anymore? Around my area Arco (NW) is the cheapest. They give a discount for cash and slightly higher cost at the pump for credit but using credit 5% back (with a $1 monthly fee for mailed statements) still is the best for me.

1 Like

Depends on the price of gas for me, I’ve noticed that cash vs credit prices usually are fixed at roughly 10 cents/gallon. At $3/gallon its a 3% premium reducing your net cashback to 2%. When gas was more expensive it was better to pay with credit, but when it bottom out in 2016 around $2ish you’d break even with a 5% card.

2 Likes

It is no longer available to new applicants. Enjoy it why it lasts.

1 Like

Siphon it from someone else’s tank (channeling my inner fwf)

4 Likes