Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

It is God’s will. He gathers to His side the good ones early on. He leaves the rest of us out here with the hope that maybe we, in the fullness of time, will become better people.

1 Like

In over 2 decades of participating in online discussions, this is the first time I can recall anyone saying anything like this. It is generally accepted to CHANGE THE ORIGINAL QUOTE IN PLACE and add something along the lines of FTFY next to the changed quote, attributed or not. People have been doing that here for almost 3 years now, on FW before that, on SD, reddit, you name it.

I do sometimes use FTFY and assume that everyone knows the meaning, but other times I spell it out because by itself it may be considered too short by the forum software, and because I think the spelled out sentence just reads funnier.

I disagree with your outrage. There are a bunch of abbreviations used frequently in forums, and this one is very common.

2 Likes

You have never done that to me. What you customarily write is:

“There I fixed that for you”

Hence everyone knows you altered my post and it is all good.

1 Like

This is the Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan guy we’re talking about. Based on what he said I would have never guessed he had those degrees. Never got the impression of him being all that smart.

FYI there’s some funny people that make up their own explanations when they encounter abbreviations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/dcq7h3/tifu_by_not_knowing_what_ftfy_actually_means/?utm_source=xpromo&utm_medium=amp&utm_name=amp_comment_iterations&utm_term=control_1&utm_content=post_body

I’m voluntarily choosing to stick with reading HCQS as HCQ and diSinfectant for free comedy.

1 Like

I just remembered we have a thread for acronyms. It doesn’t contain the obvious things like SMH or FTFY, but maybe someone (who needs them) could add them:

Not me. I kept on reading down page until I saw what it meant.

1 Like

LOL. The comments are funnier than the post.

Well not really a stunner… (Links in linked comment)

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/i0n8y7/herman_cain_has_died_at_74/fzqflc8/

On the glass half full side, at least there’s one less idiot actively trying to needlessly kill others and working against public health. Still sad as it’s another preventable death though. Even when a destructive person dies when it’s unnecessary, it’s still sad.

Your post left me just shaking my head. The gentleman is dead. You are an exemplar of poor taste.

2 Likes

FTFY :wink:

You are an exemplar of this yourself. I’m too busy to dig it up though.

You should really read the reddit thread. His twitter account was suggesting that covid was a conspiracy like a day before he died. They deleted a bunch of tweets after he passed.

Someone dying doesn’t erase history.

Quite the opposite. When someone dies they lose the ability to make positive additions to the net bad or good they did while alive. History becomes fixed.

Not sure how being sad a terrible person died is in bad taste, I guess you mean I’m supposed to pretend they were angels and were not at all responsible for their own reckless behavior. Guess there’s no such thing as personal responsibility anymore.

He also contracted Covid-19 after the Tulsa rally… Where he was in a crowd of non-masked senors with no social distancing and tweeting for the public to follow his example and violate guidelines and laws (whatever applied locally) to endanger themselves and others.

Talk about bad taste.

You gotta hear the political speech Obama put forth at his friends funeral today. A disgrace!

3 Likes

He can have the national stage at any time he chooses. A funeral was not the place.

3 Likes

Are y’all complaining about honoring what Lewis cared about, worked for, and even arranged for a release of his writings posthumously?(today) And the bipartisan speeches including recent presidents from both parties?

Lewis appears to have had an uncanny ability to foresee (not really, but coincidentally) the timing and assault on elections lining up exactly with his funeral and the scheduled publishing of his writing. Talk about bad taste, Trump timed the nonsense specifically to attack what Lewis fought for on the day of the funeral. Of course the actions from Trump weren’t unexpected surprising, especially after the tantrum everyone witnessed after John Mccain died. Maybe Lewis really did figure it out in advance.

Just asking what specifically was inconsistent with Lewis’s character. I did not attend the funeral or watch it on TV (if it was), I’m not unemployed, so I’m looking for more information.

Specifically” means an actual sentence or string of words. Not just a generic “I feel he unfairly attacked MY corrupt president by talking about basic rights!”

No, I could never go along with your puppies idea.

But attending the funeral as most important speaker & he goes for a political talk. Some things mentioned:
Criticism of setting POTUS, talking about voter protection of Illegal immigrants.
Going after police, as if very large % of group are laying a knee on a throat of black men.
Making election day a holiday.

Only partial ideas mentioned at a funeral eulogy. Very disgraceful in my opinion. Never seen such a display of ignorance. :angry:

1 Like

Well I wish I could say I’ve never seen such a display of ignorance but it’s common. It’s absurd to imply that the “political” topic of Civil Rights should not be present at Lewis’s funeral. The man did not believe there topic is in the past and does not need ongoing efforts.

Of course, you mentioned nothing specific (specific words/sentences) that are universally objectionable, just the generic line about feeling it’s an unfair attack on the president to speak of basic rights… and your own coloring and characterization.

1 Like

Do you want to put me on trial?

Don’t know or care that much about Lewis, but it was a funeral. I said it was my opinion. Do you want to take me to court over my opinion? You said you work. Are you an attorney?

The other 2 past presidents did not come to make a political speech. After all it was a funeral, I think Obama was there to help Biden & his election. Too bad, still disgraceful.

1 Like

??

No, I was looking for knowledge. If there were some facts actually objectionable, I’d be happy to learn of it. I learn nothing by a rant in any direction about nonsense like “going after police” and “voter protection of illegal immigrants” (non citizens don’t vote, so I can only guess you mean something like “mail in ballots will be stolen by illegal aliens”)