Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Exhibit one for keeping your kids home in the fall. The virus hits a GE overnight kids camp hard.

About 40% of the whole camp tested positive, although many didn’t get tests and around 3/4 of those tested were positive (probly because mostly sick ppl bothered to get a test). 50% attack rates were common, esp in those who stayed in larger groups. Notable perhaps is the camp policies included many precautions but not requiring masks or trying to increase ventilation.

1 Like

If you open residential camps, you expect this to happen somewhere. It’s not evidence of anything. For every such camp in Georgia, there’s been dozens, if not hundreds, of similar camps who have operated with no incidents whatsoever. Note that this goes way back to June, over a month ago, and is “old news” as it was widely reported at the time, yet it remains the “headline” example of the risk.

We are opening camps, restaurants, schools, sports, and whatever else, because most of them will be mostly unaffected by the virus. Just like when you choose to drive down the road - bad things happen on the road, but most of the time they dont so we dont give it a second thought.

But yes, sometimes the risk will be realized, it doesnt make the decision a mistake. It’s a known risk, that was part of the decision.

The same goes for starting school in a couple weeks. There will be reports of positive tests in classrooms, may be even entire classrooms, it’s inevitable. But those reports will be dwarfed by the count of unaffected classrooms and schools that see no ill effect whatsoever. That’s the whole point. If you demand perfect prevention, you need to go hide in an underground bunker for the next 6+ months.

2 Likes

Gee, sounds a lot like the Alex Jones followers (including Prez Asshole) that have ruined the right.

4 Likes

So unfortunate for those folks who love cruising. I would think that a cruise ship would be a host for the virus. I’m sure it is…

I was on the cruise ship Oceania a few years ago. As closely as they kept the ship perfectly sanitized, my husband became ill & had to be hospitalized.

So you wouldn’t catch me even close to a mile of a cruise ship. :wink:

A cruise ship can be as safe as the people boarding it want it to be. If you prepare for the cruise as I’d expect anyone to, it would be pretty safe - safer than living your life going around town. The problem is, it only takes one careless apple to bring something aboard.

1 Like

Article: How to volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial

The article says they need 1.5 million volunteers to do studies. I signed up.
https://www.cnet.com/health/what-to-know-about-volunteering-for-covid-vaccine-trial/?ftag=CAD-04-10aaj8e&bhid=100000000000000000000000001234859&mid=12955657&cid=563091797#

2 Likes

Congratulations!!

This is fantastic. It said there are 100 sites. I assume you live close to one of those sites. Good luck!

Yeah before you know it, they’ll be flying U2s to Paris to make sure hostages aren’t released just to win a presidential election. Or they’ll be pushing granny over a cliff so as not to pay her social security.

Or… they’ll send all of the Covid-19 cases to nursing homes to limit the killing to old people.

3 Likes

Thank you for your sacrifice.

Russia plans to roll out their vaccine in Oct.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-seeks-to-register-first-coronavirus-vaccine-in-august-11596047326

After the vaccine is registered with the Health Ministry, a third test phase would be carried out in tandem with the voluntary vaccination of Russian health workers. Production of the vaccine for public use is expected in September

2 Likes

Thanks for this right up. Like everyone, we are all hoping & praying for that good approved Vaccine.

Wow, August!!

Recap on super spreader events and how good ventilation is important since this is clearly spread at least in part by airborne transmission.

4 Likes

That doesn’t make much economic sense to me. Any lockdown is going to be really bad for the economy, as we’ve already seen. That’s not to say it doesn’t make sense medically locally in hot spots, but to say that’s what’s needed to save the economy makes very little sense to me. But I’m not the one with a trillion dollar printing press, so maybe they’ll save the economy by destroying the dollar and savers.

6 Likes

It’s the short term pain vs long term pain argument. Finally having masks most places helps stunt the spread but won’t make infections contract significantly. If we got the new infection rate back down

The real problem was back earlier this year where we came close to getting things to a manageable level and just reversed course too soon. (If you believe the reporting, this was an intentional move by the administration not to do a national plan because they thought blue states would be hit harder).

I agree Congress/Senate won’t pass something substantive to actually backstop an effort to bring things back to a manageable level. Unclear what will happen as we move into flu season and zealously open schools.

I’m not so sure about that interpretation. Many places in Europe and even some states like CA with more strict rules, better mask use, etc, are still looking at rising rates after having a lower level during their lockdown. I think the conclusion is it’s difficult to contain this and still have an economy, and it’s not feasible to stay locked down for 6-12 months waiting around for a vaccine, maybe.

We’re a lot more informed about who’s at risk and medically capable of treating the severe cases, so I think that tips the balance towards the economic side. The longer you wait with a lockdown, the more companies go bankrupt and many are never coming back. I guess that’s good if you want to consolidate market power with AMZN and WMT, but people need jobs and to get back to work not just for money but also for their mental health. Putting too many people on govt welfare is a bad thing too, and the longer we wait, the harder it will be for people to get back into their old jobs.

4 Likes

Yes they have rising rates in countries that knocked the numbers low. But those “rising” numbers are order(s) of magnitude lower than our numbers here. They’re hopefully still manageable for those responsible countries.

CA can’t do anything alone when other states were being pushed by the president to advise against even masks. We have travel between states, and tons of air travel as well.

Europe has some similar coordination problems.

We’re not “informed” about long term effects and costs (individually, and to the economy as a whole) experienced by those who “recover”. It’s still an experimental stage with unknowns.

Bankruptcies as you point out will continue to pile up in many industries with long-term bleeding in the highest transmission risk businesses with the current USA scenario, they will get no break for months or years and will continue to fold. Contact tracing/isolation and periodic state supported localized “shutdowns” for short periods is a different tactic that can conceivably work better and less pain. Guess we’ll see for sure which course is more prudent as time goes on. We’re accumulating long term job losses here, rather than simply paying employers to keep payroll while workers at home and float interest for a few weeks once every several months. And accumulating significant unnecessary deaths as well. And stunting education for students of all ages.

No I’m not buying that.
Theres been relatively little air travel and people don’t really drive state to state all that much.
Unless you’ve got evidence that the spread in CA is contributed to people from other states in any significant way??

CA is full of people and huge dense urban cities and the virus was already lose there. No reason tho think its going up from outside impacts.

3 Likes