Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

1 Like

“Brazil’s in-hospital mortality rate was 38 per cent, rising to 60 per cent among those admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) and to 80 per cent for those who were mechanically ventilated, the research published in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine journal found.”

And? Hasnt it been common knowledge for quite a while that once you require hospitalization, you are in a really bad way? Hospitalizations still remain a really small percentage of infections.

If you get it bad, it can get really bad. Most dont get it bad, a majority never even know they got it.

1 Like

Yes, although 38% mortality is poor even so. I saw a UK study that found about 18% mortality conditional on hospitalization for example. I suspect in Brazil, the level of care is less good and probably if things are bad there as it seems, the average person who ends up going to the hospital is worse off. ICU and ventilator outcomes are bad everywhere.

1 Like

Looks like things are starting to turn the corner with the vaccine rollouts. US stats

data starting to improve and the trend continues. The charts are clearly turning for the better. On the week, testing is +12.5% and the 7 day average is almost 2mm tests/day. For cases, the 7 day average is -8.7% to 220k/day, despite the increased testing. As of 1/16, total hospitalized is 126.1k or -3.6% on the week. The 7 day average for deaths is + 6.5% on the week which is now 3.3k/day. However, deaths lag the data and it too is stabilizing the past few days as seen in the chart. The Johns Hopkins positivity rate data is also showing improvement with 11.4% positivity vs 13.6% one week prior.

1 Like

I heard Azar talk this morning. From my take the stall, on vaccination was requested by Biden folks.

By stalling it will certainly give more power for Biden followers. After Jan 20th we can hear, “See, President Biden can get the vaccinations going”. Only pity his follower’s.

I don’t see a whole lot of social distancing going on among these future Democrats.

It will be interesting to see how Biden’s virus containment priorities clash with his pro-illegal immigrant ones.

4 Likes

https://news.yahoo.com/minnesota-gop-lawmakers-death-brings-133037065.html

It wasn’t just the GOP that was at risk. After there was an outbreak, they did not inform their Democratic colleagues, subjecting them to risk of illness and death.

Not believable, and even if Biden’s team had requested a slow down in vaccination, the current team should have said “hell, no”.

Your smart watch might be a COVID-19 DEW line:

Your smartwatch could detect Covid-19 before you do

The secret? HRV

1 Like

Russia says their vaccine is 100% effective and if you live in Russia, you better agree or you might fall out a window while walking around your hospital like these guys.

1 Like

"“What’s so troubling about this loss of life is it was preventable,” said Dr. Steven Woolf, director emeritus of the Center on Society and Health at Virginia Commonwealth University. “This is an infectious disease we knew how to prevent, and as difficult as it is, far easier to solve than defeating Nazi Germany. And yet, we did not mount a response to wage war against this virus as we have in these other situations.”

Thomas Whalen, an associate professor at Boston University and an expert on the American presidency, is even harsher in his assessment. Whalen cited reporting by journalist Bob Woodward, who taped Trump on Feb. 7 acknowledging how dangerous the virus was even though he repeatedly downplayed its severity publicly.*

“He has, you could say, blood on his hands,” Whalen said of Trump. “He knew this was a threat and really did not do what was necessary to respond to it in a thoughtful and resourceful way.”"

Oh, yeah!! It’s all Trump’s fault!

Trump is also responsible for the following, as reported by The Guardian:

Hospitals in Covid-hit regions of Japan are on the brink of collapse, medical experts have warned, as the country battles a third wave of infections that has caused record numbers of people to fall seriously ill.

Japan reported more than 4,900 coronavirus infections on Monday, with serious cases rising to a record high of 973, local media reported.

And Trump did not devastate Japan alone. Just look at the catastrophe he has brought about in Germany:

BERLIN (Reuters) - The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 11,369 to 2,052,028, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Tuesday. The reported death toll rose by 989 to 47,622, the tally showed.

And there is so much more!! Frankly, Trump is responsible for the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic in its entirety.

China? How dare you mention China! China is completely blameless.

2 Likes

Ok, you don’t believe. I heard Azar make the statement.

By the way… No posting on ------War now. FREE SPEECH gone here also? :100:

I didn’t imply that what you wrote isn’t believable. What I implied is that what Azad said isn’t believable.

Not sure what this means. What does " — War now" mean?

The civil war / politics thread had enough people flagging posts as inappropriate or whatever that the automod software locked it for 4 hours to new replies.

2 Likes

Thanks, Xerty.

Yet all we kept hearing from those experts was how this was a novel virus we knew nothing about.

2 Likes