Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

That was sadly predictable. I’m sure the ER rooms could do without the extra cases.

The whole thing seemed like an unforced error to me. I was watching Cavuto on Fox not really impressed about the sarcasm walk back. Same with Brett Baier. Both were not really convinced. Rolled the tape on his statement and did not see a hint of sarcasm in it. Ended up saying that it was a mistake to riff on medical stuff as it does not work like the other campaign or policy stuff.

Anyway with both Lysol and the FDA issuing statements to remind people to not inject disinfectants, hopefully this will die down soon.

And it didn’t have to be this way - we could’ve gone the UK route and covered 80% of payroll to keep people in jobs instead of paying them way more than they made not to work. And also created what is essentially a lottery for the PPP where the lucky get payroll loans to cover the remaining employees while corps that shouldn’t have received them are now paying them back with shame.

Meanwhile the rest just go under…

1 Like

The difference is the UK has a centralized unemployment insurance program where in the US, each state has a different system. In the US, duration or usual amounts of benefits are not uniform to start with. Still, it’s a failure to not have been able to put a stimulus with a cap on benefits that incentivizes people to get back to work when safely able to.

1 Like

Agreed. You’re right. Senator Graham introduced an amendment seeking to hold it down to 100% . . . not as good as your thinking but still an improvement over what eventually passed. The Democrats voted that amendment down.

I imagine they wanted to get the aid out quickly and with simplicity, knowing state unemployment administrators would be overwhelmed. Setting the federal aid to a fixed multiple of the state amount probably would have helped.

I keep seeing so many people throwing shade over the $1200 stimulus benefit being so small, while they’re conveniently overlooking the $6000 federal unemployment benefit over the 10 weeks of the program. I suspect it’s the people in the upper half of the income distribution. $600/week probably seems like a joke if you’re used to making 10k/mo.

Except state rates vary widely so this would have sent tons more money to Mass or OR than to FL or AL.

1 Like

Anyone else get a letter from the US Treasury?
Anyone else have a violent mixture of panic and anger and fear and panic when they get a letter from the US Treasury because letters from the US Treasury are almost always NOT good news?
Anyone else mildly annoyed but still vastly revealed when they opened their letter ?

1 Like

Anyone who trades bonds or T-notes can get letters.

What did you get?

A personal letter from the white house bragging about the money he sent us.

1 Like

This was really sad to hear that Spain had not let children outdoors at all. Glad to hear they’ve relaxed that…

Did you get a letter because of the $1200 deposit? I didn’t receive either. Just surprised they sent letters too.

A back door subsidy for the post office.

2 Likes

You mean use of public funds for political campaigning. (And in reality the stimulus payment actually came from Congress, anyways, not the “administration”)

7 Likes

Who would have thought? Not Cuomo I guess. Not even obeying those social distancing rules after his release… just like a criminal.

Why delete your post? I read when you first posted about Biden & was ready to make a comment. I thought it was of interest, why delete?

No guts, no glory.

1 Like

#We’reFucked Amid year's first heat wave, thousands of Californians pack the beaches

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-strokes-patients-2a24fd6c-823a-4c49-a238-545dc7263248.html

1 Like

Yes and it has Trump’s dumb signature

1 Like

You were ready to make a comment? About Biden? Without realizing that the tweet was from Trump?

2 Likes