Eating a healthy variety of food and cooking it in little time

No, they are not largely pointless, but you do have to be careful. The restaurants that lie or screw up can and should be sued into oblivion.

The Cheesecake Factory, for example, has a huge GF menu and they cook it separately.

2 Likes

Iā€™m home all day to cook, so my suggestions might not help much.

I love my crock pot. Itā€™s nice to throw stuff in early in the day to have it ready by dinnertime. Itā€™s good for whole meals, or you can just do the meat or a side dish.

Iā€™m not vegan, but I have a vegan cookbook that has wonderful recipes. Various potato salad recipes, bean salads, hot and cold dishes that are great for preparing ahead of time and will taste even better the next day. Maybe doing an extra side dish or two on the weekend would help during the week. I wouldnā€™t want to spend all weekend cooking either though.

[quote=ā€œStubtify, post:1, topic:1952, full:trueā€]
I like my junk food as much as the next person, but I also know I canā€™t eat that more than 2-3 times a month. [/quote]

Why not and what do you consider junk food? Potato chips, cookies, ice cream? 2-3 times a week is more reasonable. I donā€™t particularly enjoy cooking so I donā€™t, unless you consider heating something up, cooking. I usually eat out 3-4 meals a week, usually Friday through Monday. Not at fancy places, just $6-$8 lunch or dinner. At home I usually keep a few frozen meals when I donā€™t feel like making something. Get them on sale for $2 each. The ones based on turkey are reasonably healthy. Also, the Lean Pockets line is pretty convenient for a quick bite at lunch.

I consider junk food anything not cooked from raw ingredients on site. I also have a pretty terrible sweet tooth (cakes and sweet breads).

I can feel the difference after I eat a really wonderful but really bad meal like a double quarter pounder with cheese. Or pizza. It is probably the crazy sodiun levels. Iā€™ll feel bloated and lethargic.

I have a pretty simplistic view of healthy cooking. My view is to start with as many raw ingredients as possible. Cooking techniques, fat content, organic or not etc donā€™t really seem important enough for me to concern myself with because I just try to cook from scratch and have good inputs. Iā€™ve been fortunate to be within 5lbs of the same weight for the last 10 years doing the above.