Extended Car Warranty 2016 Hyundai Sonata

I purchased a 2016 Hyundai Sonata with 39K miles on it (now 41.5K) four months ago.

The remaining warranty is 3 years or until the car reaches 60,000 miles.

Several agencies, including Hyundai, offer extended warranties. Hyundai offered to extend it to 101,000 miles or six years (to 2023) for $533 per year, or about $3200.

Anyone think it’s worth it?

They told me as the mileage goes up it’s more difficult to get a warranty and when it reaches 50,000-60,000 no bumper to bumper warranty will be available, and probably not even a power-train one.

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

The ones offering you this deal have all the data and experience to determine that the price you’d pay is a great deal for them, and not for you. You have much less information than they, so I wouldn’t disagree with them.

The only instance where an extended warranty on a car makes sense is if, in an unlikely scenario, the cost of repairing the car would exceed your ability to pay, and you’d be left without transportation needed to earn your income. If that exposure doesn’t apply, skip the extended warranty. It’s not a good gamble.

2 Likes

No.

I drive a sonata. The car is well made and as long as you stick to your oil and filter changes you can pay for a whole lot of repairs for $3200. As you approach 2023 the car’s resale value will be approaching $5,000.

2 Likes

I have a 2015 Sonata with 71,000 miles on it, bought new. Other than recalls, I’ve only had one problem with it at around 55,000 miles. The engine started revving really high, causing the check engine light to come on. They reprogrammed the computer and all was well. This was a free repair to me since it was under warranty.

Overall, these are good vehicles. The price you have been offered seems high.

Just put that money you’re currently willing to spend into a savings account and let it be. You’ll probably have money left over by the time you hit 100,000 miles.

1 Like