Forex considerations thread

How to Trade Currencies, Avoid Forex Trading Scams

https://money.usnews.com/investing/articles/how-to-trade-currencies-avoid-forex-trading-scams

Forex trading is rising in popularity amid inflation and geopolitical strife. Here’s what you need to know.

When people think of investments, they tend to think of the stock market. Stocks certainly get the most attention in the financial media. Other markets, such as bonds and commodities, also garner significant interest. However, there’s one financial market that is larger than all the rest put together in terms of trading volume. That is the foreign exchange market, or forex for short.

is again about par with $.

2 Likes

Yen Hits Weakest Since 1998

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/yen-hits-weakest-since-1998-063131888.html

The dollar is strong right now all around the Pacific rim.

1 Like

Pound is being pounded

The pound sterling has not been this weak against the dollar since Ronald Reagan was President:

GB£1 = US$1 ?

It could happen!

1 Like

Weaker dollar brings euro back closer to parity

And, in addition:

The strength of the dollar should stop accelerating when the Fed stops hiking, said Krosby. But there are outside forces that could keep the USD’s value sky high even after the FOMC calls it a day: The current weakness of the euro and other currencies isn’t just about the Fed. It also reflects fears from investors of an impending recession in Europe. They’re flocking to the safe haven that is the dollar, at least for now. Expect the greenback to stay strong for a while.

1 Like

Maybe it wasn’t such a hot idea for the ECB to keep rates below zero for so long?

2 Likes

I thank xerty for that remark, and I agree wholeheartedly.

I have been meaning to post on this matter, on this thread, for a while:

The dollar is very strong and could become even stronger after next Wednesday. I have been racking my brain in an effort to seize advantage of this situation before it evaporates. It’s a “strike while the iron is hot” sort of thing. I am most fortunate in that my assets today are overwhelmingly in USA dollars.

Any thoughts you might have along these lines would be most welcome here. How are you profiting from this situation?

Short Euros maybe, vs USD?

Shorting Euros vs USD is the opposite of taking advantage of a strong dollar…

I thought the question was how to take advantage of expected further USD strengthening. That was my intention.

1 Like

That’s a pretty safe bet if you’re time horizon is into winter. When half of Europe has to nationalize their utilities, and issue bonds to pay for the oil/gas, the Euro will have to take a hit.

As long as reporters can continue to cover Joseph Robinette Biden in a blind positive way, the greenback should stay stable while the Euro, and probably GBP, slides down the ramp. I won’t bet against the GBP, though. They may not have a pretender, after all.

We are in Santiago right now.

I cannot get over the value of the dollar here. Dinner last night was two steaks, two desserts, a bottle of wine, and 10% gratuity for 70 bucks. A couple of very large empanadas and fries for lunch was $10. This is supposed to be the most expensive city in South America. Argentina later this week should be interesting.

On top of that, we feel safer here than most cities in the US. They’re doing something right here.

If you can, it is a great time to be abroad with dollars.

3 Likes

Is this your first time south of the border? :smile:

Argentina is dirt cheap right now in USD. So was Colombia last week.

Bottles of wine at restaurants were what I’d pay for a glass here. Good hotel well under $100.

That’s at the blue dólar unofficial rate, of course.

2 Likes

We are in Argentina now. Just got back from La Azul in the Uco Valley. I kid you not - $25 a head for a 5 course meal with wine pairings where they leave the bottle on the table for you to take as much as you want with each course. I got a ribeye while my wife went for the pork. A meal like this would have easily been $250+ from where we are from. The bottles of wine, which would easily go for $40-$50 in the US, are $5-$10 here.

The cambio guys near the McD in Mendoza have treated me well too - 270 pesos today per dollar.

I know some Spanish from 20 years ago in school but holy cow I’ll learn more of it to cash in on this. You live like a king here for next to nothing.

2 Likes

I wish I had known you were going. I could’ve sold you my pesos that I bought at 220 - $1 just two months ago.

Spend them all on wine and come back broke.

Argentina is an extreme case but all of South America is cheap right now.

2 Likes

Pound Sterling got crushed these past 3 days. Getting closer and closer to parity with the mighty dollar.

1 Like

decent discussion of currency and relative (de)valuation impacts across the economy.

Deliberate devaluation of the currency is not something new. Those who issue the coin have been stealing from their people since the dawn of man.

1 Like

Japan supporting the Yen vs the USD. Strange things afoot in the big markets.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/intervention-threat-grows-japan-says-fx-speculators-dealt-with-strictly-2022-10-21/

TOKYO, Oct 22 (Reuters) - The Japanese government and the Bank of Japan conducted yen-buying, dollar-selling intervention in the foreign exchange market, the Nikkei newspaper said early on Saturday, citing a source.

1 Like

The Yen had dropped below 150 to the dollar. It was getting to the levels it had back in the 1990’s.

1 Like