Getting around News Paywalls - All Sites - (WSJ, Forbes)

WaPo also works for people with .gov addresses, for somewhat obvious reasons. As far as .edu, maybe your alumni association offers an .edu address? Bizarrely Berkeley recently gave out berkeley.edu addresses to the hundreds of thousands of Cal alumni (with no alumni qualifier). Those alumni edu addresses are generally eligible for Amazon Prime Student, WaPo, and other deals.

1 Like

Slightly off-topic, but you can read Forbes, Economist and the like in its entirety electronically from many public libraries.Sometimes newspapers too. But it’s not worth it if you just want to read a single article and don’t want to wait,

Also, WaPo is free for 6 months for Amazon prime subscribers. $3/mo afterwards.

2 Likes

Too bad your school doesn’t either offer xxx.graduate.edu
Or, free lifetime forwarding from the original student addy.

This was working reliably for me, until the last few days. The full article isn’t being revealed anymore.

I’ve just been adding sites with abnoxious pay walls to blocked sources list on Google news. If they don’t want the ad revenue, that’s their choice. I still use incognito sometimes.
Edit: I am also annoyed that Google removed the “First Click Free” policy and does not have an option to select to remove all paywalled content, much less to filter it all out by default like it should be. Any suggestions for better news aggregators and search engines with such an option?

2 Likes

TravelerMSY is right - library databases are great. My local library subscribes to Proquest and they get the WSJ the same time it gets posted online; in fact I posted an op-ed to the tax thread from the library site (I happened to be there to read an article trending on Twitter but which I don’t have WSJ access for). I only read a few articles a week from WSJ and NYT, and the subscription is not worth it to me. I do subscribe to the LA Times, my hometown paper, for $8 a month on iTunes.

Pre-pend “Outline.com ahead of url, ie

https://outline.com/https://www.barrons.com/articles/ray-dalio-financial-crisis-1536765634?mod=hp_highlight_7

9 Likes

What do you do on a mobile device?

Use a web browser?

When I click on a WSJ article on my phone, I can’t edit the URL in Chrome to add the workaround. I guess I could paste both URLs somewhere and then copy the entire thing back to Chrome but it’s too much hassle.

That doesn’t make sense – the browser isn’t supposed to restrict URL input. Otherwise you could not visit another site by typing its address directly.

When I click on an article in my Google News Feed, it doesn’t let me edit the URL. I have to tap on “Open in Chrome” and then I can edit the URL. :woman_shrugging:

The Twist?

groan

1 Like

Makes sense – the news reader isn’t a browser, it’s a more restricted app.

FINALLY! Yes, THIS one now works for the moment on WSJ for the page: ‘Warehouses Test a New Breed of AI Robots’ by doing this! Thank you! NOTHING else has worked so far, not even the slick extension you can download from Github.

THANK YOU!!! : )

FINALLY! Yes, THIS one now works for the moment on WSJ for the page: ‘https://www.wsj.com/articles/warehouses-test-a-new-breed-of-ai-robots-11546948800’ by doing this! Thank you! NOTHING else has worked so far, not even the slick extension you can download from Github.

THANK YOU!!! : )

Another suggestion

Meanwhile, outline.com seems to have gone bust.

2 Likes

Nice thread necro, I’m still using Tranquility Reader extension w/Brave browser for NYT and WaPo on the laptop.

Doesn’t work for the WSJ, unfortunately, but works fine for a lot of news sites.

That appears to just be a “reader” extension which simplifies the page view. Based on the description it’s not something that would bypass paywalls. Are you sure you’re not just reading the free articles? Firefox has a “reader” built-in, but it doesn’t help with paywalls (because the full article is not on the page that the browser gets).