Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) - Triple Tax Free Retirement Savings

I think, I have paid my balance which includes previous year visits using my HSA card? Do i need to go back to doctors office and fix it.

Make note of the difference and short a payment that would normally qualify. Just keep good records in case it is ever challenged.

Thanks. Looks like I need to have $2k minimum to start invest into some fund. I am going to wait for few more months. My account is with healthsavings. Please suggest some stable funds to invest.

I’ve got mine in a retirement target date fund. I don’t think you can go wrong with those, but depends on what you mean by ‘stable.’

Hi, Can you please suggest some target date funds. I am trying to avoid fund which is strongly correlated to stock market. Would like to go with some stable fund which can return around 2-4% for some time.
Is it possible to roll over again to some other bank and get some bonus.
Thanks

2-4% is CD rate territory. Maybe set up a ladder?

I can invest into some retirement fund. Probably early retirement fund which won’t have much downside for time being. Is it possible to transfer my IRA balance from Charles Schwab to some other bank with some bonus offer? Trying to find out target retirement funds in Schwab. Thanks for the help.

I would like to get away from HSA Administrators. Maybe we can all send a message to Vanguard at the same time and try to get them to consider offering HSAs directly. Comments?

1 Like

I opened an HSA account in 2018, due to a change in employer offered health benefits. This year I’m now in an High Deductible Health Plan, so I’m going to put the full $6,900 in through payroll deductions. My question is, on the HSA Bank website it indicates I can make a direct contribution for 2017, but I wasn’t in a HDHP. Can I still put money into my HSA for 2017?

IIRC, no, since you were not covered by an eligible plan in 2017. … But IANAL nor an accountant, nor much of any other profession.

Of course, give me a cocktail and I become such an expert that I can talk the ears off of a wooden Indian. :smile:

1 Like

I just got an email from my HSA administrator. Looks like the IRS dropped the limit by $50 for the family contribution in 2018.

Here is the email I received:

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced on March 5, 2018 a decrease in maximum Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions.

Effective for calendar year 2018, the family contribution limit for HSAs has been reduced from $6,900 to $6,850. This change applies immediately. Any family contribution to an HSA in 2018 over the max could be subject to taxes and penalties. The individual contribution limit for 2018 will remain at $3,450.

The IRS officially announced these changes when it published Internal Revenue Bulletin (IRB) 2018-10 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-irbs/irb18-10.pdf), which contains Revenue Procedure (Rev. Proc.) 2018-18. This change is a result of a provision in H.R. 1 (“Tax Reform”) that changed the way inflation-related increases are calculated.

Be sure to make any necessary changes to your annual election.

3 Likes

Hi,
I am going for physical therapy evaluation for back pain. With insurance, they gave me $450 estimate. With cash option, they gave me $50 estimate. I asked them to few times about $50 cash option. It is accurate. I have close to $2700 deductible with high deductible insurance plan. I end up paying everything if I go with insurance. Without insurance it is only $50. Wondering if i can still use HSA account to pay for this? I am thinking about going with cash option. If I end up with hitting deductible down the line this year, it is going to lost for me.

Thanks

Yes for sure, just have an itemized receipt. A medical expense does not have to processed thru your insurance to qualify as an HSA qualified expense. You might even be able to submit that receipt if it is detailed enough to your insurance company for processing and application to your deductible (Normally its a real pain but its fun to learn.)

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

…and now they’ve changed it back to $6900 for family contributions for 2018. :confounded:

IRS Announces Second Switcheroo For 2018 Health Savings Account Contribution Limits

3 Likes

Wow. A lot to do about $50 dollars.

I’ve had a HDHP+HSA for many years through my employer. I’ve already made my full $6900 2018 contribution. Surprisingly, I just found out they are going to cover my entire premium for my family to be on a non-hdhp plan starting Aug 1st.

This is where the pro-rated contributions come into play, right? I’ll have 7 months of eligible HDHP, and 5 months of non-eligible plan, so my max contribution for 2018 would be $4,025. I’ll have to submit a request to my HSA provider to return 2,875+earnings as an over-contribution.

Am I missing anything?

*** I misread your post ***
*** delete ***

Yes if indeed you are going to a non-hdhp you must prorate.

I had a HDHP + HSA with my former employer. I started a new job and my new employer doesn’t offer HDHP + HSA. My HSA has about $1000 in cash and $21k in investments. I’m getting charged $4/mo fee now. Since I can’t make any contributions (I don’t have HDHP anymore), do I basically have to sell some funds every once in a while in order to pay the $4/mo fee?

Can I rollover my HSA funds to a different bank? I called a few (HSA Bank, Adirondack, LMCU) and they all said I’m not eligible to open an HSA with them because I don’t have a HDHP. Does that mean my HSA is stuck at my former employer’s bank?