How Do You Manage Your Accounts?

I have an acct with DCU. I have tried a couple other sites to manage my accts. The biggest problem I have found with some of these sites is printing off the acct.

I just checked on Financeworks connected with DCU. So far, I have entered a few of my accts & it is very easy. So I’m going to see if I can print out the acct before I go to far.

I believe DCU Financeworks is going to work, as a way to manage my accounts. I added all my accounts to their system and it corrects & updates daily. True they don’t have their own website but I use DCU (Digital FCU) as one of my accts. I was also able to print out an overview of my accounts.d

1 Like

I used to use Mint when I was younger but now I’m not worried about if I go out for dinner, do I need to budget for it. I think Mint is for those who have a fewer accounts/less money. I personally use Personal Capital a lot. I think the interface is better for investing. I like having them analyze my account and give me a the full run down by digging into all my 401ks, IRAs, and stock investments and telling me what I am over and under weighted on. It was helpful to learn that I had so much in one area and needed to diversify. I also think the interface is intuitive, but that is just me.

Does DCU then have access to your transactions at other institutions? Can they manually review and or mass-analyze this? That’s one thing I’d be concerned about.

Other than that, have you used Mint and/or Personal Capital? How does it compare? Have you had trouble getting accounts to link?

Effective March 20 DCU and other CUs are moving off of Financeworks and to a newer platform run by MX (USAA is a financial backer to MX)

1 Like

Spreadsheets is what I use.
Also for budgeting.

1 Like

Yodlee is dead.
Use personalcapital.com

1 Like

I use a notes program called InfoSelect (IS). It is basically a collection of plaintext notes plus a very fast search function and an ability to set ticklers/reminders into a note by entering e.g. **5/18/19 in it. The notes can be organized into what they call topics, which are really directories or folders. These can be nested.

I have an overall topic that I call investments. Underneath that are subtopics for general categories like banks/credit unions, brokers, credit cards, government (TDirect), credit reports, investment ideas and a few others. Underneath them I have topics for each bank, broker etc. For each company I have notes for things like account information, bonus rules, usernames/passwords, transactions, etc. I use the reminder function to trigger things like date to pay credit cards, bonus accrual dates so I can verify that they posted, dates to close to avoid annual fees, etc.

There is a lot of confidential information in the IS database so I am careful with it. I use an old version of IS that is not internet aware so I do not worry about it “phoning home” with my information. I store the data on a Veracrypt 256 bit encoded archive on my desktop computer. I backup the encrypted Veracrypt file to a flash drive every day. About once a month I backup, along with my other data on my desktop to a large portable disk drive. About every 6 months I mail a DVD with my data to my family in another state in case my house burns down, earthquakes, etc.

I have doing this for about 20 years and I have about 11,000 notes in my personal IS database. I have other databases for my consulting business, and databases I keep on my laptop for traveling.

edit:
I use the search function and the nested topics to access information as I need it. For example if I want the userid/password for an account I do a search on the name of the company or whatever I remember. I can also just search along the topics.

The tickler brings up the note when I access the program on the date it is triggered and every day after that. I use the program every day so I do not miss ticklers.

2 Likes

Quicken, which I’ve been using since Andrew Tobias’s Manage Your Money went away in … oh … nineteen eighty something. :slight_smile:

Many Quicken users complained when they went to a subscription model, but 1) that keeps them viable (so far), 2) you can find deals occasionally (I don’t think I’ve spent more than $100 for about five years of subscription), 3) it’s cheaper than upgrading every year was.

I have a lot more than 10 credit card accounts and Quicken handles automatic download and reconciliation quite well. They do struggle with the various multi-factor authentication approaches out there.

2 Likes

Username checks out. This sounds similar to OneNote or Evernote. Is that a fair comparison?

1 Like

If you mean Infoselect, it’s a lot simpler than Onenote and Evernote. It’s basically plaintext. I would not use the newer versions of IS. The developer went the way of featureitis. There are similar programs to simple IS out there like AllMyNotes.

But the main thing is that I do not trust sensitive information like I keep in IS to the cloud.

If you absolutely need web acccess look at StandardNotes.org But it does not support ticklers, which I think are indispensable for managing financial accounts. I suppose there are separate reminder programs that could be used with StandardNotes

I just learned of gnucash. For what I use Quicken for it seems like a good replacement.

btw. My Quicken 2016 still “works”. Just can’t import downloaded transactions now but I can do that manually .

The both of you are either not learning a very important lesson or you just don’t care enough – PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE will never be the final solution to this problem, because proprietary software will not last forever. Your old copy will likely stop working when some new fancy version of Windows comes out, and you’ll then need to either keep an old computer or a virtual machine with old version of Windows, and that will be a hindrance.

Spreadsheets are simple and there’s both free and commercial software available on every operating system. There’s one problem that spreadsheets do not handle well, and that’s attachments, like receipts. I’ve been tracking everything for almost two decades using just two things – (1) spreadsheets, and (2) files in folders. All receipts or statements are in a standard electronic form (like JPG or PDF) have a date, merchant, amount, etc right in the filename (in that order). The spreadsheet will have the date, merchant, amount, etc, so if I need the actual receipt I can easily find it on the drive. This solution is “future-proof” – it’s pretty much guaranteed to work during my lifetime. No proprietary software, web site, or web service can guarantee that.

And when I say everything, I mean investments (purchases and sales), personal budget / purchases / credit cards / bank accounts, sole-prop with Schedule C, rental with Schedule E, and more recently payroll with Schedule H.

2 Likes

Nice! My backup doesn’t fit on a DVD… :slight_smile:

How do you unlock the Veracrypt volume? Automatic at logon, password, or a U2F key / smartcard? I’ve been thinking about doing this for a long time, I just can’t come up with a good way to store the key.

Can you attach a example of a spreadsheet you use.

Odd that you think that is the lesson I should have learned after using Quicken for over 30 years.

If that system works for you, that’s great. You are the best judge of that. The reason I like Quicken is that I can get daily reconciliation of each and every financial transaction in my life and I know that my view of my finances is in complete agreement with the brokerage houses, credit card companies, etc. If I forget to enter a transaction, it will be entered for me.

As for attachments, they are attached to the transaction itself.

Although I think Quicken is now sustainable and likely to be around for a while, the current version would most likely continue to run for many years (except for transaction downloads). But even if I had to phase out its use someday, everything can be exported to spreadsheets at any time.

My copy of MS Money 98 has in fact been a pretty reliable solution for over 20 years now… I also have 10+ year old spreadsheet files that display gibberish when opened with my current program options.

Besides, your solution of spreadsheets is not remotely comparable to using a database. Completely different purposes, capabilities, and functionality.

3 Likes

Nice! My backup doesn’t fit on a DVD… :slight_smile:

I am a plaintext guy so my data are not very large. I do not backup music, videos, movies etc. If I lose them I can always replace them. What is precious is the content that I create.

How do you unlock the Veracrypt volume? Automatic at logon, password, or a U2F key / smartcard? I’ve been thinking about doing this for a long time, I just can’t come up with a good way to store the key.

I launch Veracrypt after I have logged on to my PC then type in the password. It is about 12 random characters. It could probably be broken fairly easily by a pro but I am mainly trying to protect against someone breaking in to my house and stealing my PC with its disk drive.

2 Likes

The both of you are either not learning a very important lesson or you just don’t care enough – PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE will never be the final solution to this problem, because proprietary software will not last forever. Your old copy will likely stop working when some new fancy version of Windows comes out, and you’ll then need to either keep an old computer or a virtual machine with old version of Windows, and that will be a hindrance.

My version of Infoselect runs well on Linux and MacOS using WINE or the equivalent for the MAC. It also runs on Win7 and Win10. And as the saying goes “in the long run, we are all dead.”

One thing that bothers me about IS is its poor export capability. I have complained bitterly to the developer to no avail. So I have to rely on being able to install and execute it on future operating systems.

1 Like

It’s not a single spreadsheet, I have multiple files with multiple tabs for different purposes. I’ve created all of my spreadsheets from scratch over the years. What do you want to see?

I’ve actually thought about this before and I couldn’t disagree more. A relational database is made up of tables (I think we can ignore views, macros, schemas, and other features that are not needed for keeping track of one’s finances). Tables are made up of rows and columns. A spreadsheet is basically a table. Multiple spreadsheets (i.e., tabs) can be saved in a single file (ODS or XLS) to make up a database. I can search for values in all the cells of all the sheets with a single click, which is much easier than searching a relational database (because I don’t have to specify the table or the column to search).

I would say that the only advantage of a database is that it may support more columns and rows than a spreadsheet, but I doubt I could ever exceed the capabilities of modern spreadsheet software with my transactions.

1 Like