How real is the reported labor shortage?

They ordered more because they still could get stuff cheaper.
From the link you posted above:

“They will dance, they will sing, they will say, look at the plunge in the trade deficit in the second quarter,” said Ian Shepherdson, chief economist for Pantheon Macroeconomics. “That is of course complete drivel.”

2 Likes

whenever you read “labor shortage”, “hard to find talent”, “more STEM grads”, etc., it’s safe to assume it is code for “unwilling to pay enough.”

5 Likes

I agree with your assumption. I also think that you can’t pay enough to make some people work. I see lots of jobs that slightly underpay for the work they want done, but overpay by a lot for the work that is done.

that’s certainly true. perhaps if they overpaid what they want to pay they could attract a higher quality of person

Sometimes that’s true, but in certain specialized roles I try to fill, it is hard to find people with the right qualifications at any price.

2 Likes

Sometimes that’s true, but in certain specialized roles I try to fill, it is hard to find people with the right qualifications at any price.

Employers have been unwilling to train people for the last generation or so maybe that needs to change.

Can you elaborate on this? I don’t disagree, but it’s not what I see in my limited spectrum.

When I was young (steam engine days), employers would hire you to do a job. If you successfully took on additional responsibilities you would get a raise or promotion, most of the time. Today, I see all sorts of offers for additional job training and other perks, particularly in the “talent acquisition and development” areas.

I remember my Dad (who is 70 now) going to training seminars at least once a year when I was a kid. I work in a similar industry and position as my Dad and I have never gotten any training, I’m expected to learn everything outside of work or get lucky enough to find someone that will explain things to me.

What kind of ongoing or additional training you’d need for a job is going to vary a lot depending on the job. How much employers pay for that training is going to vary a lot depending on the employer.

Anecdotally I’ve seen the opposite between my Dad and myself.

My dad never got any employer provided training yet he was required to renew his license on an ongoing basis.
My employer conducts and pays for ongoing training in official training events 1-4 times annually and there is ample opportunity for training otherwise and they’ll pay for additional college (if there is business need).

My dad and I are in different jobs & different industries.

1 Like

Training — I am in high tech— in today’s workforce, most employers would rather fire an employee and hire someone who already is trained in the new technology. Sometimes all that is needed is a few months to train a top 10 percent performer in the new technology but I have seen it for the last 15 years the same fire and hire mentality. Very short sighted and part of the disposable employer-employee relationship that has happened.
Training budgets in most high tech organizations are non existent. Many train ourselves which is good, but fundamentally there is little incentive from the employer.

I’m also in high tech.

See my comments above about how much training my employer offers.
However I will say that if the employee does not keep themselves up to speed then they are riskin a layoff.
We’re ultimately responsible for keeping ourselves trained.

2 Likes

sure but those employers are not the ones complaining.

indeed there seems to be less willingness to train!

Are you talking about training to maintain, or training to advance?

neither… have you been following the discussion? training new hires to fill new roles. the simple truth is that most jobs don’t require any prior experience or training and can be learned quickly by anyone with sufficient aptitude and motivation. that’s why mail-room-to-c-suite used to be a thing for boomers. but many hirers today expect perfect candidates

1 Like

I see.

I’m falling behind already. Do you mean not training new hires to fill new roles?

Maybe we’re talking about different things. Given the above statement, why should the employer be providing training?

When you say “a thing” does that mean “possibility”? If so, I think it’s still a thing.

I presume you’ve run into some of them, and that’s what has you down. Just ignore them if they offer no advice. Stay positive and persistent. You’ll find the HR person who appreciates your skills.

Those jobs are outsourced just about everywhere now.

Now I get it. Sometimes, I don’t just appear obtuse. :slight_smile:
On the bright side, it won’t be long before all those outsourcees will be here.

Hah. Perhaps not the best choice of words on my part. I meant that most companies not in, say, the janitorial business don’t hire their office janitors as direct employees anymore; they contract with a cleaning company.

1 Like

Thanks, I finally get it. Now I can’t remember what I was agreeing or disagreeing with. :roll_eyes:

That I agree with, my company has lost so many finance people and other positions because they don’t pay enough and have no more pension and not matching 401k.