How real is the reported labor shortage?

There are also general gender biases involved with how people end up in the jobs they end up in.

I remember when I was in college in summer I applied for work at a temp agency. I can type 90wpm. Took the test, asked for office work. Got sent to a warehouse to do menial labor stuff instead. I bet if a 19 year old girl came in said she wanted to lift heavy things they’d have sent her to an office to type.

2 Likes

Absolutely for me. But I’m still relatively young. Probably would say no in 10 years.

I’d probably do it for 2x for a few years, then retire.
oblig reference here (youtube).

1 Like

Or for 2hrs a day

6 Likes

Delivery in urban and suburban areas.

Spot on. Sure everyone wants to play professional sports or hey, sit in the office all day make $68 an hour. That’s just not reality.

And contrary to what people think, welfare doesn’t pay that well…

Edited to add, especially for those who aren’t that sharp or don’t have a degree. I only make $75k a year, but that’s better than most people. Maybe not on here, but in the real world absolutely. Those guys starting at $17 can work there way up either to an inside job or keep working outside and make $100k a year with overtime. It’s an entry level job for someone with no skills and no degree.

1 Like

Maybe they are getting wise to this pyramid scheme style promise, when only 1 out 50 get the payoff then everyone is going to want more upfront

youre kidding, right? “Pyramid scheme Promise”? You either get seniority, transfer to a different job, or you quit. It’s just annual or faster raises. Everybody (50/50) gets it with time not 1/50.

Otherwise I’m not sure what you mean?

Could you give some examples of which jobs are paying more for people with little more than a high school diploma and not a lot of motivation?

I’m probably out of touch, where can these people go and get $34-$68 an hour to start?

1 Like

I don’t think that actual scams start at $17/hr.

1 Like

Blockquote

I’m lost here, what are the scams you guys are talking about?

Cutco, rainbow, that kinda thing?

I’m talking about delivering packages, our starting pay is $16.78 an hour right now goes up to $17.29 in November I think.

I was disputing the idea that the jobs are a scam.

Hyurp talked about a “pyramid scheme style promise” Thats the scam I was referring to.

Your $17/hr jobs are not scams nor the basis of a pyramid scheme.

Assuming this is the base wages for the labor and company provides vehicles, and not some calculated number based off of X packages delivered that all the employees don’t meet.

1 Like

I would describe big law, big 4, etc as pyramid style promises. The people at the bottom are still getting paid well, so not really a scam, but it’s still the promise of making the 1m+/yr that a lot of people in school are going after. They’re sold the partner salary, even though the pyramid requires that only a small number make it. I don’t really think people are being conned, because they should be smart enough to understand how it works, but the companies still sell them on the grand “prize.” If you’re applying to be a delivery driver it’s not the same, no one is saying “if you last 10 years you make it to the c suite.”

6 Likes

I never felt like I got sold the $1m/yr partner track when I took a public accounting job. Now being outside of the public accounting world, but still doing CPA type work I’m reviewing applications for staff and senior positions, I can’t help but notice that the folks that have spent some time in public accounting (even if only a few years) really do have a leg up on the rest in terms of where their career path has gone. I feel like what was sold me to going into public accounting was that you will get the equivalent of several years accounting experience in a much shorter time. After a couple busy seasons, I hated it and would have told new grads to avoid it. Now with more experience outside public accounting, I would recommend public accounting to every accounting grad that asked me. And if you hate it, you have tons of options with that experience.

3 Likes

Depends on the nature of the delivery.

Based on the description, I’m thinking its likely closer to something like Fedex/ UPS drivers or maybe something like furniture delivery or similar. UPS driver is actually a fairly demanding job. There are inside jobs and/or overtime opportunities to hit 6 figures in many situations. Fits the bill.
I’m sure he’s not talking pizza guy.

2 Likes

Some anecdotes here in So. Calif:

Large competitor has chartered buses and is driving them around trying to cold recruit people at local coffee shops, restaurants, etc on their lunch breaks.

Multiple people we’ve hired have left <1month with an “offer of a lifetime” They either were sniped off or they took our offer while awaiting the next.

Linkedin sniping. Some friends who had said they’d retire at their current company leaving with an offer extended without a meeting even.

Renegotiating with your current employer while at work. Basically you’re not even looking for a job, get an offer from either the bus, linked in, etc, and then current employer asks you to give them a chance to beat the offer and stay.

2 Likes

Announced earlier today:

U6 for April 2018 dropped to 7.8%. This is the first print south of 8% since 2006.

I have always believed U6 was a more meaningful unemployment measurement than the phony, manipulated, U3 number. Significant is that the gap between U6 and U3 appears at long last to be closing. It is a good thing for America when those citizens seeking work are able more easily to find work.

3 Likes

50% retention? What are you delivering, nitro? smack to Barksdale’s corners?
If you work for Fedex, please make an employee suggestion that it should not be so hard for a customer to submit a compliment.

1 Like

I should reiterate I don’t feel bad at all for the people at the bottom of the pyramid and the firm provides greater benefit to those people who stay for 1-2 years than they provide to the firm (at least in big law). I also don’t feel bad for them because it’s hard to feel bad for a 25 year old living in chicago making 190k.

not fedex but similiar. Not in ghetto either (sometimes but not usually). Either there’s a ton of jobs out there that pay better or people just aren’t motivated to stay because there are many that are comparable…

I’m not saying it’s the easiest work in the world, I have seen complete morons do well, and geniuses fail and vice versa. But no degree is needed, a drug test and a pretty easy test is all that’s required to get in the door.

But I will say this in late 2008-2011 we had a much higher retention rate because the economy was so bad. So maybe the shortage of workers is at the lower ends of the economy. It sounds like a lot of you have advanced degrees etc. maybe the labor market is not as tight there. Which really is a good thing, it’s the lower end of the job pool that needs to come up more.

I would even say that $15 an hour probably is the new minimum wage whether lawmakers make it that or not.

3 Likes