How real is the reported labor shortage?

They also universally think the trade war is a crap idea.

1 Like

OK yeah, now I don’t even know how we got on the trade war topic. …

But I really don’t think the trade war is going to help employment.
But yeah I don’t think that the trade war is going to have a huge impact on the employment as a whole.

While the ‘Labor Force Participation Rate’ is the lowest since the end of Clinton’s terms. Two ways the Unemployment Rate can decline.

It’s called job losses.

1 Like

And, here it is:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-farmers/trump-to-offer-u-s-farmers-billions-to-ease-trade-pain-idUSKBN1KE1YE

3 Likes

I thought of your post when I read that news earlier today.

I have to question the validity and reasoning for the tariff war considering the pain to the US economy, the loss of jobs and the billions of dollars the Trump administration is prepared to pay in support to hurting industries. Is the the juice worth the squeeze?

4 Likes

Unfortunate that it will be too little, too late, for so many. Soybean farmers are going under, dairy farmers are going under, hog farmers are going under, pork producers are going under, and cheese producers are going under.

And even if and when something gets enacted (can’t wait to hear why were spending taxpayers money to bailout a situation that the V.S.G. precipitated), it won’t help all those losing their jobs when Harley Davidson closes two plants in two states, numerous finished steel and finished aluminum manufactures laying people off or closing their doors, and the job losses in the housing construction industry.

Remember folks, originally, the V.S.G. and his “expert” trade advisors had claimed that no other country would DARE enact counter-tariffs against the U.S.

Well, not only have country, after country, after country enacted counter-tariffs, they have MOVED ON:

~ China previously purchased HALF of U.S farmers production of soybeans every year, that is now ZERO. China now purchases their soybeans from Brazil.

~ Mexico previously was the number one export market for U.S. dairy farmers and U.S. cheese producers, that is now ZERO. Mexico now purchases their dairy products from the EU.

~ China previously purchased a large chunk of U.S. pork production, but that is now ZERO. China now purchases their pork products from Australia.

This administration doesn’t have zero leverage, they have NEGATIVE leverage.

5 Likes

Took me a while to figure out what VSG stood for.

OOPS! Wrong thread.

1 Like

“…question the validity and reasoning for the tariff war…”

Stop being so rational, then you’ll understand…

3 Likes

I guess Juncker didn’t get the message, but the stock market did at the end of today.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/us-eu-agree-to-resolve-trade-differences-1532524795

1 Like

Huh ?

They agreed to TALK about returning to TTIP, which Juncker and Obama had previously worked out except for the finalization, which the V.S.G. immediately scrapped.

Flippity Floppity.

Not to mention, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Addendum:

This deal was on the table a year and a half ago, but the V.S.G. claimed Obama had struck a horrible, horrible deal and he would negotiate a way better deal.

He’s caved and capitulated.

1 Like

RUH ROH

Turns out that offer from Juncker to have the EU purchase some soybeans from American farmers has some restrictions.

No GMO soybeans and no soybeans that utilized chemicals or fertilizers in the growing process that are banned in the EU.

Oh well. It was a nice photo-op. Not gonna save any American soybean farmers though.

4 Likes

The reason the soybeans were that much to start with because trump convinced china to buy more.
This isnt trumps trade war. This is everybody elses. They started it. Finally we have a president who will stand up for us.
God bless trump. #maga

2 Likes

Oh Gawd, no.

3 Likes

No. He did not.

The Chinese canceled all their soybean contracts with U.S. farmers, enacted a counter-tariff on U.S. soybeans, and purchased their soybeans from Brazil.

You have it ass backwards.

The economic dumb-asses in this administration “started it” by enacting outrageous tariffs, and then confidently claimed that no other country would DARE enact counter-tariffs against the U.S. . Dumber than dirt.

Yikes.

Ya really gotta stop drinkin’ the Orange KoolAid.

2 Likes

Which has WHAT to do with the price of eggs in Singapore ?

Next month, the administration is rolling out a $12 billion bailout for farmers going under, except Senator Sasse, a Republican from Nebraska says that will barely cover the losses for JUST the soybean farmers.

Then the administration plans to purchase milk, in a feeble attempt to help the dairy farms that are going under.

Get a clue.

1 Like

The Last Major TV Factory in the U.S. Is Shutting Down Because of the V.S.G.'s Tariffs

Element Electronics - which describes itself as the only assembler of televisions in the U.S. - plans to lay off 126 of its 134 permanent full-time employees and close the Winnsboro, S.C. plant on Oct. 5.

“The layoff and closure is a result of the new tariffs that were recently and unexpectedly imposed on many goods imported from China, including the key television components used in our assembly operations in Winnsboro,” Carl Kennedy, Element’s vice president of human resources, said in a letter to the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce.

3 Likes

Joe u are the most disingenious person ive ever met. U either straight up lie or ignore actual facts. China did increase their orders of soybeans after the meeting with trump. Thisis a fact.
Not only that … they bought a bunch more before the tarriffs went into effect.

I suppose this story is wrong. You are correct and this is wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-us-china-trade-war-tariffs-xi-jinping-agriculture-exports-soybean-corn-a8361921.html%3Famp

4 Likes