Individual Stock Discussions

Bought RAD @ $2.04

2017 Year end review:

retirement account (56% Roth / 44% Traditional. about a third is in ā€œguaranteed returnā€ funds at ~4%):
start: $118, end $155, estimate gains (accounting for contributions): +9.3%
Roth IRA:
start: $27, end $38, contributions $0, gains: +40.7%
Taxable
start: $171, end $260, gains: +52%

Total NW (estimate, includes home equity net of 10% transaction fees and includes other loans and CC rewards, etc):
start:$308, end:$473

Decent year.

4 Likes

Nice job with your Roth. My accounts go the other way, typically taxable outperforms Roth by 2x or something since I can use margin, short sell, etc in the taxable account which leads to better returns than I can get with long only cash. It was a good year for sure.

Anyone know where I can buy an offshore blocker for my IRA? I think itā€™d be worth it to get margin and shorting allowed with no UBTI problems.

I used a cheat code.

170sh of AAPL for ~60% of basis, ~80% of current value.

F $13! My long term shares finally are back in the green for the first time in almost 2 yearsā€¦

4 Likes

Sometimes I feel like the only person who holds losers forever until they turnaround. Glad to know Iā€™m not alone.

3 Likes

Just donā€™t end up like those guys with SUNEQ who hold it all the way to the inevitable bankruptcy wipeout or keep doubling down on FTR. Cutting losses isnā€™t always a bad thing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BagholderQuotes

3 Likes

Same here with F. Been holding forever now.

What a crazy market where everything makes money, even stupid things like cryptocurrency. I doubled my money in Ripple this morning (though now only up 75%). Overall, my crypto portfolio is up 15% since I started this madness in December. I invested just about $5,500 and have no idea what I am doing or why I am doing it.

1 Like

If you didnā€™t make 10x today, you were in the wrong crypto. CNET, a microcap stock, announced they were getting into the crypto business and bam! $1 to over $11 at the peak today.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinanet-online-holdings-announces-strategic-123000076.html

2 Likes

How you even buying crypto? Coinbase is a shitshow

gdax is coinbaseā€™s portal for active trading. I have used it with good success over last month. gemini is an alternative to coinbase with good reviews.

4 days later, $300k for first time :slight_smile:

Itā€™s crazy that 4 days change from doing nothing is equivalent to ~10 months of ā€œworkā€ after taxes for me. And Iā€™m well paid.

Thank You for starting this thread, I was almost heartbroken by loosing this discussion.
I wasnt active last year, but this year Iā€™m planning to be activeā€¦ Thank You everyone for starting this here.

Got MJNA today morning at 0.117, will see for few days how it goes.
Happy New Year people.

Been following and trading VRX for a couple years now. Itā€™s finally developed a stock base, and I think long term investors will still benefit at current price levels.

Eastman Kodak, who you might be forgiven for thinking went out of business with the film camera (they did go bankrupt in 2012-2013), decided to get in on the cryptocurrency game. KODK +100%. Not a Bubble.

Edit: Chart updated for the next couple days. They peaked at +400% around $13.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kodak-creating-kodakcoin-own-cryptocurrency-181422100.html

3 Likes

Can this stock be shorted? It has gone up 3x and seems ripe for a drop.

Well, I shorted some but I donā€™t know if itā€™s still possible now that itā€™s up even more. It looks like the options markets are pretty lively now, so you could buy puts or write calls if you wanted. Timing can be tricky for these types of irrational stock situations.

RAD is on a nice roll, still holding

1 Like