Individual Stock Discussions

Sold out this morning @ 16.13 first big loss I’ve had in a while

OUCH !

ADT went public yesterday, and was expected to open between $17 and $19, but opened at $12.65 and went DOWN from there.

ADT - IPO priced at $14, but yeah, still not so hot at -10% day one. I passed on that one, and did better on NINE - $23 IPO, opened at $24 ran up to $29, still up 15-20%.

where are you getting allowed to buy IPO’s pre-open?

Many brokers allow you to request IPO shares. The problem is that you typically have to have lots of money and/or do lots of trades with them to get any allocation of the shares you request ($500k+ is typical). Allocations are typically small, often 100 shares, and you take a big risk if you don’t do your due diligence of getting the ADTs of the year rather than the NINEs. There was no problem getting ADT shares if you asked, but NINE was much harder to get. That pattern is typical - the best IPO shares go to someone not you, while you get all you ask for of the duds.

Of course if you’re a major senator who’s able to block upcoming legislation the company doesn’t want, you might get 5,000 shares that pop almost $100k on day one (definitely not reportable as a campaign contribution). Anyone else would have been lucky to get anything, even big accounts might not have gotten the token 100 shares. 5000 is shares is huge.

When folks start asking that question the market is ripe for a correction. When they capitulate and actually throw their money into the market, that is when the market corrects; they lose their investment because they got in for the wrong reason and can’t stomche the risk.

So, that fact that you ask the question suggests it is time for folks like me to sell.

1 Like

NBR reported that ADT expected it to open between $17 - $19. Frankly, I’m surprised they even proceeded with the offer with the number of people abandoning high-priced security services for cheaper competitors, or even cheaper alternative options.

All the more reason for insiders, i.e. PE firm Apollo, to dump their stock to the public before that becomes increasingly obvious. Even a low price now is better than a fair price later, plus with a $10B current market cap, maybe they can get all the index funds to buy them since those guys don’t care about the price.

alphabet has been VERY good to me the past 18 months. I really don’t like the price where it is right now though, but a lot of my shares are in a taxable account. I put a stop loss of 10% on it and will probably buy some puts during earnings. Do you guys have any other suggestions to protect them without selling and getting hit with taxes?

guess I should have held…

I considered that, but as Lily Tomlin used to say, “I try to be cynical, but it’s so hard to keep up”.

1 Like

I am thinking of shorting Netflix. Went up too much after earning report. Anyone considering the same?

Yeah I shorted it last year at like $110 I think. Cut my losses @ 140.

1 Like

Anybody with thoughts on GOOG/GOOGL? because of the run up I have quite a bit in it, I think it is overpriced currently but don’t want to take the tax hit. PUTs are expensive because of earnings this week. Is it possible to short a stock and hold it long at the same time in the same account? Does that really help anything though? If it goes down I will have short gains on the shorts, while the other is LTG.

Any thoughts on this situation from people who have been there before?

Big activity on $wynn. I bought 2/16 calls and am massively down. Let’s see what happens in the next few days.

• He will brag about the stock market, but…

Increase in DJIA under:

Trump from Jan 20, 2017 to Jan 4, 2018: 26.5%
Obama from Jan 20, 2009 to Jan 4, 2010: 33.2%

Increase in S&P 500 under:

Trump from Jan 20, 2017 to Jan 4, 2018: 20.0%
Obama from Jan 20, 2009 to Jan 4, 2010: 40.7%

• He will brag about the creation of jobs, but…

2016 > 187,000 jobs/month
2017 > 171,000 jobs/month
(WEAKEST JOB CREATION SINCE 2010)

• He will brag deregulation increased business investment, but…

Non-residential business investment rose at an annual rate of 6.2% in 2017.

Business investment growth averaged 8.9% annually over the eight years of the Clinton administration, and 9.1% annually over the eight years of the Obama administration.

1 Like

You (or whoever you’re pasting) really cherry picked the time frames on those comparisons, taking the rebound right near the bottom of the big crash. As for business creation, let’s remember who didn’t build that:

https://www.google.com/search?q=you+didn't+build+that+meme&prmd=vin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

1 Like

You are right… about everything. Anybody that disagrees with your opinions is wrong.
You feel better now?

Now leave this thread apolitical. that means leave

2 Likes

Eh, how is each one’s first year “cherry picked” “time frames” ?

2 Likes

Didn’t post an opinion. Just the facts.

YOU feel better now ?

I’m not aware of any requirement that you read my posts.