Investment impact of Russia Ukraine crisis

A long well reasoned article but here’s the bottom line:

Ultimately, the investment impact of the Russia-Ukraine crisis will come down to how serious Russia is. If I am wrong about Russia’s intentions – if Russia really is preparing for a full-scale invasion of Ukraine – the West will react with sanctions against Russia that will reverberate throughout the global economy as energy prices and food prices surge upwards. If this happens, you ain’t seen nothing yet with inflation. It’s precisely because of this that I rate the probability of full-blown invasion as fairly low – it’s mutually assured destruction.

If things continue as they have been – continued dialogue leading to some kind of resolution, or at minimum a stalemate – expect more of the same, i.e., in the short-term, higher energy prices, a weaker ruble, downward pressure on Russian equities, and upward pressure on key Russian commodities, like wheat, fertilizer, and nickel, in the coming months – all of which present interesting opportunities for the brave of heart if, as geopolitics suggests, this situation resolves itself without a full-scale war.

as the saying goes, read the whole article

2 Likes

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Looks like things are getting worse there.

1 Like

I felt like I should have taken a bigger position on this from an investment perspective. I hedged by shorting SPY and also shorted a few Russian stocks. But I could have done 10x bigger and it’s looking like that was the right call…

1 Like

I think the question is, what will trigger sanctions by Biden’s handlers and the euro weenies? As the article says, tough sanctions are mutually assured destruction so they will put up with almost anything from Putin. The second question is, how long before the markets catch on to the kabuki dance and stop reacting with the vapors to rumors?

if they can paper everything over, everyone comes out looking like a hero. So my tendency is to buy the dips. I guess that’s what makes a market.

OK Russia, now you’re gonna get it

The White House said Biden would soon issue an executive order “that will prohibit new investment, trade, and financing by U.S. persons to, from, or in” the two Ukrainian regions under the control of Russian-backed separatists, Donetsk and Luhansk.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/biden-responds-with-sanctions-after-putin-recognizes-breakaway-ukraine-regions/ar-AAU8gRF?ocid=BingNews

1 Like

Sure, and nothing more.

PUTIN ORDERS PEACEKEEPING OPERATION IN EASTERN UKRAINE’S TWO BREAKAWAY REGIONS

Putin is trying to provoke a military reaction from Ukraine’s government. A lose-lose situation for Zelenskyy and Ukraine.

5 Likes

Yup. No need to “invade”.

Long Russia pitch from a hedge fund guy that’s been nailing his macro calls the last few years.

Making the case they won’t even do much in the way of sanctions and all the noise out of the US about this was just for domestic consumption rather than that Biden and company actually cared about Ukraine.

2 Likes

Russia is just an excuse to sell off, just like Greece was. My question is long term is this a good buy point for say SP500 or dividend plays

Covered my hedges, made a whole lot more on the short Russian stocks than I did on shorting way more SPY - right call, bad allocation. I’m long a bit of RSX a now betting the sanctions aren’t going to matter much.

2 Likes

Biden going to be saying some mean words along these lines at 1pm today.

BIDEN ADMINISTRATION HAS PREPARED EXPORT CONTROLS TO HIT RUSSIAN COMPANIES WITH ALLEGED MILITARY TIES AND DENY RUSSIANS ACCESS TO GLOBAL TECH, INCLUDING ELECTRONICS AND COMPUTERS -SOURCES

I took some profits, still long RSX.

Buy the VanEck Russian ETF (RSX) as Biden was walking to the podium to tell the world how he would punish Russia. Up almost 9%.

2 Likes

well, so much for papering everything over. The stock markets is going through some wild gyrations today as we might expect.

As I write this the S&P 500 & VTI are down ~1% and Oil is up 4%

Not that huge of a impact at the moment in my mind. Maybe the market has already adjusted assuming the war would happen?

Assuming that US has no intention to do more than sanctions, does a war in Ukraine really have much impact on the US ? I can’t really imagine Americans will really care to do much about it honestly. How many of us can place Ukraine on a map… ?

1 Like

Found this ;

“53 percent of Americans said the U.S. should stay out of the situation by siding with neither Ukraine or Russia”

Most Americans don’t even know what side we’re supposed to be on nor care.

Not too surprising.

If one of the multiple choice answer options was “whats a Ukraine?” it might have been the majority.

2 Likes

Meanwhile

Imagine a globe with no borders or labels. I can place Ukraine on it:

• Exactly
  • Approximately
  • whats a Ukraine
0 voters

I have heard and tend to believe it is true that it will increase prices for various goods. You mentioned oil but they are apparently a large agricultural producer. I am not sure how much the US relies on Ukraine specifically but assume there will be some impact. ie wheat/grain commodities go up a few percentage points.

This is of course wonderful news on top of the existing inflation. /s

1 Like