Is LoJack of much benefit these days?

Bought a highline car this week and found out it has LoJack installed. Is this a significant feature to mention when I sell it? Most people have insurance on these cars so that would cover theft. About the only reason to have it is if the vehicle, such as a work truck has $10,000 worth of tools or equipment that insurance doesn’t cover. Also, there are built-in features in many cars, like Onstar that have the same function.

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

I’d be surprised if it’s of any value presently, unless it’s an older/rare vehicle.

Most new vehicles have telematics built-in for remote capabilities - i.e. BMW has their Connected app where one can remote start it and also find the location of the vehicle. Moreover, they have their automated service in the event it is in an accident or stolen too.

Maybe decreased insurance premiums? Just a guess.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe most insurance give discount to any kind of alarm or recovery system

Insurance companies are always looking for things they can use to reduce a premium to attract new customers. Some home insurers, for example, consider an in-ground sprinkler system the equivalent to a burglar alarm. Don’t ask me why!

WTF?

Just don’t EVR put LoJack on a computer. It slows it down horribly, and can never be removed. End of story.

As far as the sprinkler system… if you hook it up to a motion detector, I can see where it might apply as a deterrent to burglars… hehehe!

3 Likes

I’ve got that lawn sprinkler discount on my home insurance too - seems to make no sense as they don’t go off in case of fire

As far as LoJack I don’t know if police departments still even support it , don’t think it would add much value . as pointed out nowadays many high line cars have gps tracking and there’s units that can plug into obd port to provide tracking

My old department had lojack capabilities somewhere at the emergency communications department (911 center). The patrolmen had no idea how it worked. Once you reported your car stolen, the patrolman would call the 911 center to get the car entered into the state and national database. At that point, they could activate the lojack and find the car. I assume lojack gave the necessary equipment/software to police departments and whoever they didn’t give it to is out of the lojack “coverage area.” So yeah, it’s still supported. I can only speak for my old department, but I would venture to guess our situation was the case for most departments in the Lojack coverage area. LoJack Coverage Areas - LoJack

There’s all kinds of old tech at the 911 center that you think wouldn’t still be around, but it is. Lojack is probably one of the newer items that “sits on the shelf” there. In 7 years and the dozens of stolen car reports I took personally, I never once had someone tell me they had lojack in their car. If I could remember the exact amount, I’m sure I could count on one hand the number of times in 7 years where my precinct got someone calling to report their car stolen that had lojack. Each time, the car was recovered within minutes (or crashed because it was still moving and the thief took us on a pursuit).

But those may be less prone to causing flooding than other manual systems? Or maybe if your lawn is well irrigated, it’s less likely to start a fire. Still does not make much sense since those seem very remote risks.

Or maybe it’s the case of insurances mixing up fire sprinkler systems and lawn watering ones. :wink:

I reasoned it was because vegetation around the home is likely to be wet and not kindling.