It's official: FatWallet is DEAD!

Is there a way to change the formatting to be less scrolly and with fewer whitespace? It takes a lot more clicking to get to the bottom of the page vs. FW.

Am I the only one that still had to go and check for myself :grin:

Hi Everyone,
It was a good run at FW! Lets make Fragile as great as FW!

H

1 Like

Well crap.

Does your reply improve the conversation in some way?

prolly not

It does seem links underneath the fatwallet domain are being redirected directly to ebates (sick) while straight links to fatwallet.com show the goodbye message. Giving both you guys and PWF a chance, hope one (or maybe both?) can recreate the community (weird thing to say for a bunch of relative strangers) that we have now lost.

Tim Stormā€™s Final FW Post

Bingā€™s cache is more recent than Google, if you didnā€™t see this earlier. #SemperFW He added a link to a post on his FB account ā€œI can see that FatWallet had itā€™s first death the day I sold the company. Today is the second death as it is buried.ā€ :cry: :broken_heart:

5 Likes

It is already better than FW in terms of good information exchange and friendliness, IMHO.

1 Like

So sad, I actually saved a page of the very best of FW but itā€™s all links only and I didnā€™t bother to actually download the content. Oh well.

Itā€™s really astounding to me that there was apparently not enough value in FW to keep it alive.

• Incrementally driving cashback and signups to ebates (surely underestimated by some brilliant MBA)
  • advertising revenue?
  • No value for the brand and community to sell to another?

Something doesnā€™t add up with me for all this. Seems like a really bad business decision, though I guess thatā€™s easy to say from the 1000 ft view.

2 Likes

The content was saved, at least the FWF portion, and itā€™s just waiting for some hosting details.

Awwww. :sob: I am genuinely sad that today was the final day of Fatwallet. I feel like a friend has died.

Even though FW gave us more warning about the impending closure than they might have done, I had to leave a lot of things un-read/un-copied-and-pasted/un-written because I just had too much going on these last couple of weeks, including three different middle-of-the-night ambulance call-outs and emergency room admissions (and an urgent follow-on surgery) for one elderly relative of mine (who has obviously been from pillar to post, and we are lucky that such good help has been there for him each and every time).

This is my first post on the FD site, so maybe youā€™ve talked about the Internet Archive site in other threads (you probably have) ā€“
but for peopleā€™s general information, below is the last Internet Archive snapshot (that I can find) of the main page of the Finance forum.
It was possibly captured around 7:25 am Monday (yesterday).
I remember that the forum was still running as normal about 6 hours later, around 1 or 2 pm on Monday, when I logged in for a minute and left my final FW comment, so the Internet Archive doesnā€™t have the very final picture of how the Finance forum main page looked when the plug was pulled, but itā€™s close:
https://web.archive.org/web/20171009072538/https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance

Some threads there can be clicked on and are visible in full (even if they have multiple pages), but other threads just go to a blank page when clicked on.

You can navigate to other FW sub-forums by using the drop-down menu in the upper right. Most sub-forums appear to have been saved by the Internet Archive at slightly different times, though most look like their final capture was in the early hours of Monday.

I hadnā€™t been able to spend more than a few minutes on FW in the last couple of weeks, so Iā€™m just clicking around now in the different forums in the Internet Archive, seeing what the final thread topics were.

I rarely went to the Off Topic subforum in the 12 or something years I was on FW - maybe once a year - but Iā€™m looking there now (via the Internet Archive) out of curiosity about how that particularly tight-knit gang of hardcore FW folks have reacted in the last 2 weeks to the announcement of the FW shutdown - I expect theyā€™ve been very vocal! ā€¦and I have just been genuinely surprised to see that I was remembered/wondered about in a thread there last week:
https://web.archive.org/web/20171008075029/https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/off-topic/1587120

After the first post which mentioned me, I read the rest of the thread with some trepidation, hoping that no one was going to have an (opposing) bad word to say about me, which certainly someone could have! ā€“ but I didnā€™t see any (at least in that thread - and I wonā€™t tempt fate by looking at any more threads tonight, ha!)

Well, gosh, thatā€™s niceā€¦ to have been remembered by someone, especially a FW commenter whom I didnā€™t personally know or interact with much over the years. It is an unexpectedly-nice way to bring to a close my membership/experiences with Fatwallet, on its last day - to be remembered and mentioned in an out-of-the-way thread that I randomly clicked on.
Itā€™s kind of a spooky coincidence. In a good way.
Iā€™m gonna make a screenshot of that. :smile:

And now to get some sleepā€¦

4 Likes

I also am a FWF member and plan to use both this and PWP. I too am requesting my cashback from eBates and plan to just use Befrugal, unless another member can point me in a better direction. Thanks in advance!

You really have to use a cashback monitoring site: Cashbackholic, Cashbackwatch, Cashbackmonitor, or Evreward. But in my experience Iā€™ve found TopCashback to have the highest rates overall where I shop. YMMV of course.

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt reply! I will look into these options and find which is best for my needs. Currently, Iā€™m stuck trying to meet the $25 threshold to cashout on BeFrugal. I believe its $23 atm, but I could be wrong.

After they closed the Grocery Forum where I first learned the basics of couponing like getting items free and how to get paid to shop, I just went to lurk mode. I also learned the basics of AoR there although not mfr spending which I learned from FT.

We became FW refugees then and there were those who opened their own couponing sites to continue sharing the deals there.

I will always remember FW with fondness.

I have to change my morning routing of checking FW to this site now

Be careful with BeFrugal. Iā€™ve had no issues with getting cash back on all of my smaller purchases, but the first time I make a big purchase through the site (wouldā€™ve resulted in about $28 cash back), they suddenly say that I must not have followed the process correctly. Trust meā€¦ a big purchase like that and Iā€™m going to make damn sure Iā€™m doing it correctly. Iā€™ll even give both sides the benefit of the doubt and say that they didnā€™t intend to do something malicious, but if thatā€™s the case then itā€™s an unreliable service.

Thatā€™s what discouraged me from keeping multiple accounts at various cashback portals. I donā€™t shop online often enough to meet thresholds within a reasonable amount of time. At one site, they started charging inactivity fees which ate away at my balance. I wasnā€™t going to continue using them just to stop that, as they were paying considerably less than most sites.

Iā€™ve noticed that a site will be one of the top-paying ones in their early days, then slowly start slipping further down the list.

Oh, and donā€™t forget to check your credit card portals, like Discover Deals. Sometimes they donā€™t appear on the cashback comparison lists, but the offers might beat out the cashback portals occasionally.

With Rakuten having >$600,000,000,000 in revenue for 2016, Iā€™m not surprised FW is gone. Itā€™s not worth the time. This is a great example of how publicly traded companies serve investors, not customers (as theyā€™re goal is to return value to investors).

1 Like