Let's talk Cell Phones

2G will definitely be unbearably slow.
Even 3G is unbearably slow if you’re trying to do anything other than check your email.

Hmm…

Bbbbumpity bump!

Are those of you who were on Red Pocket still using Red Pocket? I’m looking for new providers, one on the T-mo network (considering RP and Mint) and one on Verizon (considering RP). The biggest problem I found so far (besides people with Samsung phones, premature service cancellations, and subpar customer service) is that ebay is charging sales tax on the RP prepaid plans (which already include all taxes in price).

I am. I’m on my 2nd year now using Red Pocket (switched from Mint Mobile). In Sacramento, CA I find RP to be more reliable (data-wise) than MM. Both years I went w/ RP via eBay for my prepaid 1 year plans.

1 Like

I think tmo has a new hookup promotion available. Best deal is stack that with adding free or discounted line promotions as they come along. And as you add the line(s) use the ~$1000 off phone promotions that also require adding said line

Unfortunately, I don’t think they’ve run the free plus (non throttled video) promotion for several years.

What’s the play here, use my own phones on the 2 new lines and resell the 2 new (locked?) phones? How much would that save me over the ~$40/mo I’d be paying for 2 lines with RP or mint?

Won’t let you beat $20/ln for 2 lines. I hadn’t looked up their regular prices recently. Looks like 3 lines is currently (third is “free”) is $120, so $96 with hookup (20% discount sits on the account and also applies to any lines added later). Or $32/ln.

Still much more expensive than several years ago. I share a 9 line plan with Plus included for ~$100 a month.

I feel like I have a pretty good deal with T-Mo. I “host” my family on this plan - parents, sister, the two of us, etc.

6 lines for $120 a month. Effective cost of $20/line/month, taxes included, and it also includes Netflix HD. That includes two “line on us” freebies, and $40 worth of kickback credits a month. They will pry this plan from my cold, dead hands :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely. Hopefully they don’t nix the legacy tmo one plans anytime soon.

It’s bad they got rid of kickbacks, too, for new lines/accounts. And the whole multi-tier deprioritization scheme. Ours is one plus promo, hookup 20%, free line, and two 50% off lines. Their strange billing structure made those last three lines effectively a negative cost addition to the bill.

1 Like

Yes, nice to get in on a deal.

My kids own a business with all employees on plan. My son gave me an Apple cell phone with everything @ included employ. Name, not a problem because my last name is contained in company name.

Good cell phone deal.

These prices are not available for new subscribers. Also I could only host 3 lines, because the rest don’t want T-mo.

For an unlimited plan, 6 lines for $120/month that sounds like a pretty good deal.

I found this interesting chart listing states taxes on cell phones: Wireless Taxes and Fees Jump Sharply In 2019 | Cell Phone Tax Rankings

Notably, the percentages are based on average bills and some of the taxes (particularly state 911 fees) are a flat per-line fee.

1 Like

It seems somewhat easy for the carriers to manipulate which portion of the bill they actually remit taxes on. It seems like this is why most of them now make most of the actual “charges” only for data services. This leaves them primarily only subject to the flat fees (like 911).

Trying out RedPocket on T-mo. I can’t get GV to work correctly. My initial research suggested that disabling RP native voicemail was a solution, but this did not work for me. I need to set up conditional call forwarding (CCF), but it seems RP supports CCF on all networks except T-mo. Does anyone know any different?

Might have to go with Mint, which does support CCF.

Sounds like a foreign language to me. I’ll stick with my apple. :relaxed: (please don’t take this seriously)

no kidding! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Before Mint, you may want to check Tello. I used Mint briefly before switching and have been very pleased with most aspects (tech support, accounting, uptime, coverage) of Tello.

Disclaimer - I own Tello … Just kidding. I’m only on a $5 unlimited text, 200MB data plan.

1 Like

I’ve had the best experience in terms of coverage and data speed in my area on T-mo, and player#2 likes T-mo and Verizon. Since Tello is on Sprint, it’s a no go for us. Thanks.

Sprint no longer exists…it was bought by T-Mobile therefore Tello must now be on T-Mobile i would think (you should check with them)…