Living frugally without hardship: let's share actionable suggestions

You implied that re-dated and improperly stored medicine exists in the marketplace, made up a name for it, and still haven’t provided any evidence.

Oh, sure it does. I have read stories about this . . . but not recently. It was one of those exposés you see from time to time.

I’m not gonna attack you as being naive. But do you really think there is no corruption in the pharmaceutical supply chain? I can recall being concerned after seeing those reports. It’s a key reason I always try to deal with reputable sources for drugs . . . in person.

Look, I’m as big a proponent of living frugally as anyone else here. But doing that involves two critical aspects:

1. Being frugal

2. Remaining alive

1 Like

When buying from a reputable pharmacy, you’re more likely to be a victim of a pharmacy tech’s mistake when they put together your prescription than a victim of counterfeit medication or poor quality medication directly from the manufacturer.

Millions of people take that risk everyday because it is relatively small. The crazy people are the ones who take illicit drugs where there is absolutely no care taken in much of the “supply chain.” We’re here arguing about whether it’s dangerous to take 10 year old aspirin, made by Bayer, bought at a retail store, and kept in a medicine cabinet for a decade. Right now, there are thousands of people out there ingesting drugs that they bought on the street, that have been stored in dollar store plastic bags in someone’s shoe, after they got it from some guy who got it from some lady who brought it across the border in a condom inside her body cavity who got it from some guy who packaged it in a thatched roof dirt floor hut with his bare hands. And those drug users are mostly still alive and usually only die from overdoses and not actual bad drugs.

Excuse me if I don’t regularly check the expiration dates on my over the counter meds.

2 Likes

I hear if you want a free and very thorough health screening (blood and urine tests for everything), you should apply for a big term life policy. They usually make house calls too, so no waiting around at the doctors office.

3 Likes

This also works if you own a business and get keyman coverage, or someone else’s gets keyman coverage on you.

Will they actually give you the results, or only decline coverage and suggest that you visit your GP?

Apparently, haven’t done it myself.

In my case, I got the results. At my next physical, I brought a printout, and they put it in my chart as a baseline.

4 Likes

Yes, they will. In one case (personal term life), they actually made it all available online through a health “info sharing” web site. That was Fidelity, IIRC.

2 Likes

I got a basic health exam through Cincinnati Life back in 2012. Their term poilcy was an amazing bargain, too.

1 Like

Hopefully this doesn’t violate the rules or spirit of the thread.

I have Uverse for Internet and tv. I learned that they allowed me ten email accounts/sub accounts. Been this way for years.

While my daughter was away at college she used one of the email addresses to log into hbogo and other apps to watch specific content.

Since that time U-verse has rolled out an app that works on fire tv and some other devices. I assigned an email to my nephew, a sister in law, son and brother who all wanted to cut the chord. Several of them send me $25-$30 a month, they get 62 premium channels (hbo showtime Cinemax etc) and 120 or so of the better channels- no local channels tho. Att doesn’t seem to mind and I have lowered my cable bill to what seems fair and they’re getting tv for free or for what hbogo alone would cost.

Also the email allows them to use all the premium channel apps (hbogo etc) for even more viewing options.

Apologies in advance if this is considered taking advantage of a merchant but it is allowed on the account by ATT.

Hope it helps somebody.

5 Likes

Really? Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds like you’re reselling AT&T’s service to non-subscribers. I’m not commenting on the morality of it, but if AT&T really approves, it’s a possible money making opportunity.

1 Like

It possibly could be (a small one at that) but I prefer to keep it to family in case you can do ppv or something.

I was hesitant to post it because although they allow it I’m not sure if it’s really ok… lol. I’m just tired of getting stuck by “the man”

You would have to look into the ATT terms of service or acceptable use legal agreements to see if terms like “household” are defined. I tried to look, but it requires an account details I do not have as a nonsubscriber.

Typically, a household is defined by an IP address, and while you are generally unlimited in devices / accounts that can view content from the household IP address, access is usually blocked from another IP address. In some cases, content can be downloaded from home and viewed anywhere, but real-time streaming is generally not accommodated.

ATT wants to be timely paid. It doesn’t care from where you obtain those funds for service to a specific IP address or household. ATT, or the content owners, will probably not take kindly to what may be termed reselling (which may be defined in the terms of use).

For comparison, here are Comcast’s TOS addressing the issue:

You agree that the Service(s) and the Xfinity Equipment will be used only for personal, residential, non-commercial purposes, unless otherwise specifically authorized by us in writing. You are prohibited from reselling or permitting another to resell the Service(s) in whole or in part, or using or permitting another to use the Xfinity Equipment or the Service(s), directly or indirectly, for any unlawful purpose, including, but not limited to, in violation of any policy we post applicable to the Service(s).

2 Likes

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, sometimes ignorance of the law is no excuse :wink: .In this case, and just my feelings on it others may disagree, it’s a streaming app meant to be used anywhere (just like I can stream it to my phone for no data use which is bizarre). I have only shared it with family members as I know a lot of people do with Netflix.

I pay att a small fortune each month between U-verse and cell service. I don’t regret getting something back but that’s my feeling only others may feel differently. I just thought I’d share with this community.

In attempt to restart this conversation due to the current economic climate:

These are lame items, so hopefully somebody has new ideas to do better.

1. Xfinity mobile - I’m forced to have one line with unlimited date (wife) at $45/month. I have three kids with unlimited talk/text for $10/month total (plus tax on all). We just have the kids use the hotspot of the unlimited line for their data needs (or wifi).

2. Food Delivery - We enjoy take out too much, which is not frugal. During these times there are a lot of deals to make our favorites cheaper. For example, I love buffalo wild wings. They have buy one get one free wings nights. Free Delivery, still earn reward points, and can buy discounted gift cards in advance.

3. Yard service - Previously paid $45/week. Just told old service company that it is not worth it to us anymore. If somebody can do it for $25/week, I’ll let them do it. Otherwise, will do it ourselves this year due to being home (Will have to spend more money on beer to support this effort, but should still come out ahead)

4. Penfed - I would like to refi my mortgage to a 15 year, but their refi rates are way too high still. They only have good rates on purchase mortgages. Hoping they come to their senses within the next week or two as 10 year bond rates continue to die.

I’m ok with spending money, so now starting to shop around to see if there are any good deals on painters or handyman that can come once the economy opens its doors.

What new opportunities exist that people should be looking at?

1 Like

We’re considering upgrading one of our cars (only 14 year old). Manufacturers are sitting on growing inventories, rental fleets have little choice but cut their sale prices since cars are not getting auctioned, and people are looking at extended WFH so fewer are looking at purchasing. Low demand, high supply means it’s possibly not a bad time to shop around. I think this is gonna get worse before it gets better for a few more months so looking at end of summer purchase probably when next model year normally show up.

As far as refinance, not gonna happen soon. Instead of looking at 10-yr treasuries, check MBS markets. They’ve gone up lately and no sign of stopping due to other factors like Fed buying fewer bonds or the massive amount of forebearance going on affecting costs of servicing mortgages. Trajectory of MBS market has been steadily upward since 3/23 or so and recent news don’t really point to a reversal soon so I would not hold my breath for much lower rates soon (although I’d welcome them personally).

2 Likes

I know a lot of people who used to mainly eat out who are now forced to cook. I wonder if it will make a long term shift in people’s behavior.

4 Likes

We still love our favorite restaurants, but now it seems like a waste of time to ever GO to them again when they can just deliver (for free) to your house. The time savings has been eye opening.

We do also cook more at home, but I’m not sure how much that will stick long term.

Right now they are hurting enough for business that they’ll offer free delivery but long term, they’ll start charging (or require a minimum order amount). Then it’ll be back to convenience vs. extra cost. But either way, it’ll probably make a lot of restaurants that were dine in only, open up to new options like ordering online with pick up or delivery (free or not).

As far as changing behavior, if people are forced to cook long enough that they start developing a taste for it, get the skills and equipment to make it faster and easier, build up a stash of favorite go-to recipes, and figure out the savings of not eating out, some of these aspects may tip the scale for some of them. But I don’t think it’ll be enough to flip the habits of the majority.

1 Like