Living frugally without hardship: let's share actionable suggestions

Why so cryptic?

No offense to any IKEA fans, but if you’re promoting IKEA, I just looked at their dining room sets and they look like garbage compared to the set I got from Wayfair. Some were even more expensive.

2 Likes

Not being cryptic - just giving a few examples of frugal alternatives to traditional furniture sellers. Have you checked Article furniture?

Keep in mind, I’ve had good and poor quality purchases with all of these vendors (incl. Wayfair) - so I suggest looking at reviews and doing your due diligence first.

1 Like

I downloaded the Raise app for discounted gift cards. I don’t use it much if I’m doing a planned purchase but if I happen to be out and there’s a discounted GC available on the app, I can use it right away.

2 Likes

Agree about reading those reviews. Just checked Article.com and looked at their dining tables. Too contemporary for me. They want more money for just a dining room table than I paid for a dining room table and 6 chairs. Although I’ll agree that it’s still cheaper than buying from most furniture stores.

I had an IRA (now a Roth), DH had/has a 401k (and now also has a Roth IRA). :slight_smile:

Thanks. I didn’t mean to imply that people should build their own car. My actionable item was that everyone has skills or benefits from their jobs and they can use them in their personal life to save money. Frankenprius was a supporting example.

5 Likes

Gotcha, I think it’s another example of how important and lucrative it is to learn a trade even as a hobby, I spend a ton of time lusting over all the crazy cool projects people showoff on /r/DIY and /r/woodworking.

2 Likes

Agreed. I thought about the hobby thing too. There are hobbies that cost money and hobbies that save money. My brother used to restore old cars and then sell it and buy another car but turn a profit. My dad used to love to garden. Not only he saved money on produce, but giving it to his neighbors made it easier to ask them to borrow their ladder instead of buying one. For a while (when computers used to be a lot more expensive) I used to like to build them and work on them myself.

Stop shilling for wayfair. Its chinese crap and I could tell you how to get it cheaper, but it’s awful by any measure and a terrible value. If you want cheap, get ikea. If you want good value, make it yourself or talk to the poster above who bought from Amish.

2 Likes

It’s not horrible if you only expect a few years out of it. My glass dining room table was from Wayfair and while it’s not super high quality, it was WAY WAY cheaper than Ikea or certainly Amish (which is super in quality)

1 Like

I haven’t bought anything from them in the last 4 years, but I was happy with what I bought. The only reason I found and used them is that they had the exact bar stools that I wanted for 26% less than I could get them locally. I was skeptical, but was pleasantly surprised when they arrived and were exactly what they were supposed to be. We then bought something else (a much smaller purchase) without a problem, but haven’t found them to be competitive on too many other things.

I believe 60 Minutes did a feature on them that was, IIRC, slightly positive, but certainly not glowing.

2 Likes

I’m not. I’m just a satisfied customer who mentioned it as one of admittedly many options and then proceeded to answer a couple of questions from other posters that came up about them. Never said anyone had to agree. The pieces I’ve bought weren’t crap, though they may sell crap, too.

You sound very upset for some reason. Why not yell at the other posters who asked more about them, one of whom happened to start this forum?

Considering that over a hundred posts about various other things/places came after mine, you’ve sure done your part now in keeping my fairly inconsequential mention alive.

BTW, I know that people aren’t as familiar with me as many frequent posters from FWF. That’s generally because I had nothing new to add to the conversation. Many wise minds and often wiser minds than me came before me. All I could do was add to the noise, so I chose not to.

Here, we all have a fresh start. With the forum being so new, everyone hasn’t already said it before here. That gives us former lurkers more of a chance to come out of the corner and play. :slight_smile:

End of conversation.

8 Likes

Would you like to share how to get it cheaper?
I have a bed from Wayfair in one of my spare bedrooms and have been satisfied with it so far (it’s about 2 years old).

2 Likes

[quote=“elhumano, post:130, topic:29”]
Stop shilling for wayfair.[/quote]

This is an example of personalizing an argument needlessly. You can attack wayfair or its merch without maligning what someone is saying. I’m keeping this up as a friendly warning to others. Thanks for understanding!

13 Likes

As much as I abhor it, there’s nothing wrong with buying essentially cheap disposable furniture. Why spend $5000 on the sofa for the rest of your life when your animals or children are just going to destroy it?

10 Likes

Print out what it is, take it to some small furniture shops in the furniture districts of your city and they can likely pull it up by stock # or design and sell you the same item for less. I’ve done this for some stuff successfully. Even BIG places like living spaces rebrand and rename stuff. Total racket.

2 Likes

Yes, but my husband is a wizard with cars (as well as a certified mechanic with 25 years experience)"

I read this too quickly and thought it said, “yes, but my husband is a certified wizard”

6 Likes

That would certainly make for an interesting marriage!

1 Like

Sugar and CO2 are both pro metabolic. Anyone who preaches about health/nutrition should have to do it shirtless. Sugar is a casualty of the nutritional dark ages.

I use billfixers to reduce my cable-internet-phone bill.

1 Like