Lucrative career options for current/new college students

If she struggles to get A’s in high school in math/science then I would not recommend going into any STEM field just for the money. She will struggle much more in college in those courses.

She ought to look for a field that she has aptitude and interest in and then find an area that pays well.

I’d also remove the word “passion” from the discussion. Just my opinion, that word is overused nowadays and its detrimental for kids to be given the expectation that they need to be “passionate” in their careers.

Is there a programming class she can take now in high school? If so, she might take it and see if she likes it at all. If theres no programming courses available in the school then there are abundant self teaching opportunities on the web.

3 Likes

Let her use the first 2-3 semesters to explore the different options as she completes her general education requirements. By the time she is starting her 4th semester, she should be in an actual degree program. If shes currently in her senior year of high school applying to schools right now, there is no need to be concerned about what her major will be unless she is dead set on something that one school offers and another doesn’t (because that affects what school she should go to). Let her decide on a major as she figures everything out in her freshman year and considers where that major will take her career wise. Obviously, you should discourage her from heading toward a major that is difficult to turn into a career (English, History, Philosophy, pretty much any humanities majors), but aside from that, If you trust her decision making abilities, just let her figure it out on her own.

4 Likes

I teach college part-time and one time the class asked me what I would have chosen as a major instead of pre-law… I answered CS without hesitation.

Pre-Law is a major? Interesting…

Political Science, Pre-Law Option.

1 Like

I guess I might explain as to why I’m steering people away from CS. I was in the IT field right out of college myself and when I graduated it was one of the worst times for employment in that field. 107 people applied for the same job I did. Nonetheless I got the job and I stayed in IT for about 8 years, I really loved the stuff. However these fields are heavily influenced by the economic cycle. There will be lean times and if you catch a bad wave then it could sink you for a while. The medical field I don’t think gets impacted so heavily and offers more security during recessions/depressions. A lot of people currently like CS maybe because they’ve had such a good run for the last decade so are looking at it through rose colored glasses but watch out for a possible bubble burst.

As for advice on following passions and such I tend to take a middle ground. Philosophically I prefer to have financial security and a strong base to work from before going after pursuits I would deem to be a luxury. I’ve gotten both my siblings into positions where in their 30s both of them have quit their day jobs and pretty much pursue things they enjoy, they can keep this up indefinitely because we worked to create this kind of lifestyle. Look towards also developing timeless life skills like communication and sales(far too many IT people are sorely lacking in these areas which can pay great dividends.) Look at ideas on lifestyle design rather than just a ragged pursuit of passion or career. College degrees are assets that you pay for so make sure they pay but it doesn’t mean you can’t study something you enjoy. I tell people to double major, the tuition you pay is pretty much the same regardless of if you take one or two majors. So take one major that pays and a second one that you may enjoy, it’s called hedging your bets.

3 Likes

If you could go back in time, would you still do that or would you rather do something like Economics or Finance.

I’m at a bit of a crossroads in my life (Junior in college) and am trying to figure out if I should stay the course (Economics major) or make a change.

2 Likes

I can think of few jobs more brain wave sucking bad than a junior accountant. Their busy season is about as bad as it gets for work life balance. For pretty low pay. And the work isn’t that interesting.
Yea, off season isn’t that bad. And a few years at a big four opens up a lot of good jobs, but still…it sucks when you are the youngster on the team.

Industrial engineering (or similar) into consulting. It would be a good fit for your daughter. It’s not real engineering so don’t let that scare you off.

3 Likes

If you value work life balance at all, I do not agree with this advice.

4 Likes

One other possibility is to look at jobs that combine science with writing. Way too few engineers/scientists know how to actually write and present well - especially those who haven’t gone through a PhD program (where this is basically one of the skills you have to learn). I am always amazed by just how bad software engineering presentations and papers are.

There are probably many positions open for people who have the engineering background and can actually write and communicate - places like civil engineering firms for example. A strong writing ability will likely compensate for imperfect grades.

2 Likes

Can you expand on why specifically?
When I think of ultrasound/xray/scanning, I think of regular business hours in a quaint lab type office making good money. That’s been my experience from taking my kids to them over the years anyway.

If you like helping people, nurse-practitioner and physician-assistant are two good options. However, I really dont’ recommend just nursing, the hours are terrible.

2 Likes

My skills are pretty multidisciplinary. My great love in life is science but I studied business and economics in college. I’ve worked at big5 accounting firm doing taxes, stock brokerage firm and commercial real estate. However right out of college I had enough self taught skills to go into IT as a systems administrator. I did it for a number of years but financially didn’t go anywhere so when I was 30 I decided to start focusing on financial independence.

I spent most of my focus afterwards on real estate. Took classes, got internship. When real estate tanked in 2008 I quit my IT job to buy and fix real estate. Subsequently got a contractors license so I could do my own work. I’m a pretty good electrician and learned to do everything from foundation to roof. I got everyone who would listen to me to come buy real estate with me (make their own investments) so I helped a lot of people too.

Can’t really regret life but as I got older I felt that the severity of economic cycles really needs to be taken into account in decision making, younger people don’t have the benefit of having been through several cycles of boom and bust. As for an Economics degree, I feel it’s almost a humanities major in terms of employability. You don’t come out with any specific skill that people want so high paying employment is difficult. Who specifically employs economists? Finance I think is better in terms of employment. I like careers that require licensing like accounting too since it’s an extra barrier to entry and a certification of skill. Don’t just depend entirely on your career/job, things change so you want to be flexible in terms of mentality. Build skills and knowledge that you can use for yourself, not just your employer.

5 Likes

From what I see and the people I know nursing has quite a breadth of work conditions. Had a friend graduate from an RN program and got job a doing case management. It was all paperwork and paid six figures but she quit shortly after because she’s more of a social person and extroverted. Now she goes around daily door to door checking on the elderly and is quite happy. There are private clinics and various places from what I can see and doesn’t have to be in a hospital. Lower level nursing of course I think is more difficult, LVNs I think have it pretty hard. My wife was looking at going for a nurse practitioner or physician assistant, the working conditions for those seemed pretty good as is the pay.

4 Likes

I can’t speak to those services specifically but I know several nurses(LPN, RN) and CNA’s and none work anything near normal business hours and none even work 40 hours a week due to mandated overtime.

i recommend just a plain old job in retail or restaurants. reasons being they’re easy and flexible, and it’s a great way to be in the real world and build some soft skills.

at this point, anything will just be a job, education is key.

1 Like

Interesting topic.

Not all CS graduates are going to make the big bucks. It depends on where you end up, in what town, and who you’re working for. In my case, a CS major / Math minor, I work for a small 100-person company selling custom electronics to the DoD, and make far less than all my colleagues. After 20 years at the same company, I still haven’t broken the 6-figure mark. The majority reason is discrimination because I’m hearing impaired. On the other hand, I’m the guy who’s got stuff ticking all over the planet protecting our soldiers in harm’s way - there’s a bit of satisfaction from that. Easy job too - no stress at all.

My younger brother, a real smart kid, straight-A’s all K-12, and a 4.0 in Electrical Engineering at a prestigious University, decided to become a medical doctor - this after I’d explained engineering personalities and how his personality wasn’t one I was accustomed to. So, after another year for pre-med, and then four for medical school, and yet another three as a Resident - he’s set-up very well. It took him less than a year after becoming board certified to pay back all the student loans and start reaping the rewards - not only monetary - but all the perks, the free stuff. For instance, his family of five children often go on trips to various parts of the world paid for by the organizers of the medical seminars he attends. Deals made in exchange for “medical advice”, e.g. egress windows installed in his mansion. Doctors have prestige, as well, and this further enhances their financial opportunities.

Obviously, English and History degrees do not make money, necessarily. It can be lucrative to be a technical writer for a software outfit or apply one’s history degree to Corporate history maintenance. That is if one’s lucky - one English major I know works at a car rental agency pushing paperwork.

The real jobs for the future are going to be farming and petrochemical. As the oil age winds down, and brains are required to figure out how to live with less - that is, two barrels instead of three - it is the new-age farmers and petrochemical engineers that save potentially millions of lives.

The day Saudi Arabia’s Ghawar well dries up, it is experiencing higher “water cut” each year, we’ll be seeing any remaining oil, a fungible, shipped off to countries who pay the most and it isn’t going to be the USA - there’s too many combining nickels in India and China to obtain cooking fuel competing with our desire to drive to Wal-Mart in our SUV with a full belly to buy a plastic pumpkin. One day some of us will get to watch the left-out (Bay of Bengal to start) wave their arms into the cameras beseeching the rest of the world to help them survive … they will not.

1 Like

if you’re as good as you say you are, become a contractor/consultant. i was makng $60/hr in 2003.

This is key info right here. Keep pace with the world by continuously investing in yourself. Too many people go to sleep once they start working, only to be shocked out of their shell when their skillset or even industry is made obsolete.

4 Likes

Engineering (she’d be the only female applying for a lot of the jobs, give her a major edge), IT (same deal), or starting her own business.
The first two are always 6-figure career tracks and for experienced people can be a 9-5 gig, leaving loads of time for what she enjoys. I was a theatre/poetry guy at 18 and now work as a senior manager in insurance and finance (started in sales 10 years ago and was the only guy who survived the 10 year journey). Looking back, I might’ve preferred to be a programmer, but at the end of the day, the money is the most important part. If you can earn everything you’ll need in life by 45, things get very cool.
I’m 37 and closing in already. Not sure what I’ll do with my prime years from 45-65 or so, but I won’t spend it working for someone else. Following your passion is a good way to make 30-70k per year, work until 70 making someone else rich, and look back to wonder why you made the choices you did. Do your passion in your spare time. Work is for making money so that you actually have spare time.

4 Likes