MF Camera Lens thread

MF Camera Lens thread

I’m a big fan of (mostly older) MF camera lenses. My collection numbers well in excess of two hundred lenses, with the exact number frankly unknown. Thought I would start a thread to see if any other lens aficionados were about.

Course today most folks are into AF lenses if they use interchangeable lenses at all. I began collecting a bit more than ten years ago when MF glass was really inexpensive. In those days it was oftentimes difficult even to give the things away. That was then.

This is now, and with the advent of mirrorless camera bodies the prices of MF lenses have just gone NUTS!! It’s at the point where I’m only buying a few new lenses each year because they have become so expensive. Even low end (the most common, I mean) Hexanon lenses no longer sell for a song.

I own only a few really interesting lenses. One of them is an Angenieux parfocal lens used, probably in the 1960s, to shoot movies. That lens today typically sells in the vicinity of three grand. I got mine only because an eBay seller a while back could not spell “Angenieux”. I paid a dollar for the misspelled lens and nobody else even bid. That was a fun experience.:grinning:

I also repair old lenses. I’m not terribly good at it, but I try. Have had both successes and failures over the years. It is meticulous work. Those lenses assembled with thread lock are the most challenging to repair. My best outcomes have come with repair of prime lenses, as you might expect. Zooms? Very very difficult for me to repair, especially when they have been assembled with thread lock. Have been able a couple of times to extract and resurrect damaged apertures. It can be blade by blade work to clean and straighten. And reassembling those suckers is, well, it can be tantamount to torture. :grinning:

Anyway, if anyone else is into MF lenses please post. They are in many instances nearly works of art from a bygone day, and so collectable. It’s a shame that smart people today have learned to adapt the old MF lenses to modern digital camera bodies, hence driving up demand and their cost. Should have. But I never saw coming what has happened.

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.