Monkey pox discussion

:innocent: :rofl: :joy: :upside_down_face:

Lemme see … 3/1000000 * .29 + 1/1000000 *.15= 0.0004% mortality rate?
A very cursory glance shows these results were from 5 years worth of data in the 60’s. I suspect that with proper warnings and attention, these minuscule (unless you’re the victim) numbers could be reduced further.

1 Like

A plague of incompetence

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/doctors-warn-us-monkeypox-response-is-lagging/ar-AAZA9hO

The monkeypox treatment, TPOXX, is only available to patients and doctors under a special CDC status because it is usually used to treat smallpox, not monkeypox.

The expanded access status requires physicians to go through more than 100 pages of paperwork each time they prescribe it, and between the forms and administrative requirements, a patient visit to initiate this medication can take between one and three hours.

As a result, many people who need the drug are not receiving the necessary treatment… It is “nearly impossible” for physicians and clinics to get patients the monkeypox antiviral TPOXX, even though New York City has enough supply on hand

The disease is spreading rapidly: New York City’s case count has nearly tripled in the past week.

2 Likes

Here we go again!

“It is shocking after all we learned with COVID-19, we have let another virus escalate to this point.”

2 Likes

Long time AIDS activist working on monkey pox from the outside.

• federal agency disfunction continues
  • the doses of vaccines were already bought and stored in EU, but the FDA wouldn’t let them be used until they did random lot inspections and certified the manufacturing plant. Somehow they didn’t do this beforehand, so we were 3 months slow in actually using the vaccines we had paid to stockpile.
  • pox cases are doubling weekly unabated
  • spread seems primarily through sex in this outbreak, and the pox sores you get are also on those areas and lead to spreading them to others similarly.
  • the vaccine is a two dose series and like with covid you’re most protected about 2 weeks after your 2nd shot (and somewhat protected 2 weeks after your first one)

I was perhaps a bit too cavalier in my comments earlier about avoiding this disease by avoiding hooking up partners with obvious pox sores on them or their bodies. Half the people who are getting this are getting the pox sores on the inside where they won’t be obvious.

He provides some appropriate cautionary guidance below -

a lot of us are telling people to cool it for a month
until they get their [vaccine] appointment
and i think that would be very wise
this has not killed a single person this round of monkey pox in the west
but you do not want to get this
it is hell
it is the most painful infection you can get
you will spend a few weeks crying, literally crying, every time you try to use the toilet
and it’s just it’s a very very frightening scary bug to catch

Maybe I’m not in the right circles but I haven’t heard anything like this regarding the monkey pox outbreak as guidance from our CDC or NIH officials cautioning people on how and why to avoid this.

On the bright side, I guess they’re about to get all those vaccines finally approved, so hopefully that can start getting it out to the high risk folks and start shutting this down.

2 Likes

Good on him, but the only guidance I saw was to cool it for a month. I presume this means to not have sex with unknown people for a month. What a sacrifice, and I’m shocked that anyone needs to be told this.

2 Likes

It’s that last one that sort of grabs you. Gottlieb is a straight shooter. Unfortunately.

2 Likes

This shows the utter incompetence of the Obama-Biden administration compared with the Trump administration. President Trump’s Operation Warpspeed developed a vaccine against a new virus, produced, and distributed it in less time than the Bidenistas will take to distribute an existing vaccine.

2 Likes

Jeez! The quality of CBS news has Murrow and Cronkite generating electricity from spinning so much.

Although I’m no longer a fan of mainstream media, it is still disheartening to see the utter collapse of journalism.

2 Likes

Our capitol is a hotspot.

96% of D.C.’s cases are in men; 82% identify as gay. The majority of cases are in people 30 to 34 years old.

2 Likes

Wow! That article is something else. Your quotation left off the most important fact:

While anyone can get monkeypox, 96% of D.C.’s cases are in men; 82% identify as gay.

Also, It appears that D.C. has found a way to define men, and to discriminate against women.

Those eligible to receive the monkeypox vaccine are D.C. residents who are at least 18 years old and who are:

• Gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men and have had any anonymous sexual partners in the last 14 days.
  • Transgender women or nonbinary persons assigned male at birth who have sex with men.
  • Sex workers (of any sexual orientation/gender).
  • Staff (of any sexual orientation/gender) at establishments where sexual activity occurs (e.g., bathhouses, saunas, sex clubs).

What a convoluted, spaghettified list.

As for the last two items, I was unaware that D.C. had legalized prostitution. It might be one of Marion Barry’s initiatives, along with drug reform. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Your heart has to go out to the victims.

The importance of that article far exceeds its relevance to monkeypox. And I realize you do not have time to read it. I did, and it contains still more confirmation of the inadvisability of relying on the government or the medical establishment for anything. They both are FUBAR.

With monkeypox, as elsewhere, the ball is being dropped right across the board.

Google search comes up empty.

Any chance of catching this thru hot tubs/pools/gym towels? My gym does have some MSM folks. I can disinfect surfaces but not pools

We’re also going on an Alaska cruise next week, but it’s on Holland America so I guess safest demographic. Proximity w/ closed spaces like say planes?

Just when we thought it was safe…

ignorance is bliss… and fast. Trump was definitely decisive and laissez faire private sector policies helped.

Bidenistas have analysis paralysis

1 Like

Covid? Of course. If you’re not triple masked, 6 feet away from any non-aborted life, infected vaccinated at least twice, and boosted more than twice, you are bound to get the Wuhan flu from China and any of it’s offshoots.

Monkeyflu? I’ve got no idea, but I wouldn’t go into a public hot tub for any amount of money. I would bring my own towel, but that’s probably overkill. You’re right about Holland being a safe space … at least until word gets out. :smile:

1 Like

Nothing I’ve read suggest pox is airborne, so just riding planes should not be a risk unless you’re making out with the wrong guy in the bathroom.

Health warnings have emphasized, besides direct skin contact, that towels, bedding, etc, can spread the pox since it will get on those used from the open sores on an infected person. Details here

Specifically they talk about washing dishes and utensils as usual by the infected person before use by anyone else as sufficient, so I expect the same would be true of bedding, etc. they do caution about touching potentially contaminated surfaces, wearing disposable gloves around an infected household member, and washing your hands.

The virus enters the body through broken skin, the respiratory tract or the mucous membranes

3 Likes

If you think back to the days when smallpox was around, it was quite a serious matter. And there was much relief and self-congratulation in the medical community when it finally was eradicated. The thing is:

The way they got rid of smallpox back then was by inoculating darn near everyone! Absent those inoculations the disease spread readily. Problem is:

Today we confront this monkeypox, a related malady, and millions of people are without the protection of an inoculation. It’s like deja vu all over again!! It’s crazy.

Were I not inoculated I certainly would be very careful about contracting monkeypox. VERY careful!

are we certain that smallpox inoculation is lifetime?

definitely not making out with the wrong guy in the bathroom… girl I should only be so lucky :wink:

seriously though I meant cramped quarters in planes with contact on armrests etc. I guess I’m wearing a jacket… in AZ.

I looked it up. Opinions on this appear to vary. Some sources say lifetime. Others are more conservative.

I’m happy I got the inoculation, regardless.

And one thing for certain:

If you do NOT have a smallpox vaccination you are wide open!

2 Likes