Mysterious "Financial Opportunity" From Distant Family Member

Brought over from FWF and updated:

Update: meeting this week and will find out what it is.

Original Post:
A little mystery I’m spending some time thinking about and wanted some help with:

About 2 months ago a distant family member told me they wanted an hour or two of my time to discuss something very important to my financial future. This family member doesn’t even know what I do, where I or my wife work. I don’t think he even knows we own our own home. Def. doesn’t know about my retirement accounts, etc. I asked for more details and he told me he was able to give me a presentation on it during a weeknight but didn’t want to explain it without the full presentation. Sensing this was either 1) a RE pitch, or some kind of shared investment opportunity 2) An annuity or WL policy I just declined. As far as I know this relative is an accountant by nature, I don’t know if he started selling insurance or not.

Anyway since I figured it wasn’t worth my trouble I blew it off. I saw him last week and he said “hey you never talk to me anymore, I still want to tell you about that opportunity.” So I said “ok what’s the opportunity.” They said “I want to make you a lot of money.” (These types of phrases are extreme turn offs for me). No details other than there is a presentation at his house this Sunday.

So my question is: what could this be? The entire family was around when the discussion was going on, but no one gave me any info. I’m assuming he’s approached most/everyone in the family but I’ve never heard a peep about it from anyone. I’m not very close with my famil*y.

9 Likes

amway (or confederated products if you’ve seen that movie. that scene was money)

2 Likes

Thank you for bringing this over here and keeping us updated. Good luck with your meeting.

my guess was amica (the MLM of life insurance)

1 Like

My initial reaction was WL. I’m leaning more that way now because it turns out this relative is an accountant.

Any more info on Amica Batman? Quick google search just turned up Auto/Home Ins. Not sure how that would “make me a lot of money”

Lol. Tell him to make a lot of money first and prove it.
Sounds like a weekend wasted to MLM. I’d rather get wasted drinking booze.

1 Like

[quote=“Northstar2020, post:6, topic:1675”]
Tell him to make a lot of money first and prove it.
[/quote]Good answer.

We prefer not to do business with family and close friends to preserve our relationship. We don’t lend money either; if it’s a small amount that we can spare, we just give it and forget all about it; but if they ask for loans amounting to several thousands, we beg off and refer them to banks/CUs instead.

2 Likes

My money is on amway. Well, not literally, but that’s my guess in this situation.

Is this family member named Damon, by chance?

As far as their products, it’s not terrible. They don’t sell whole life, term life only. If it’s a good rate for your situation, it’s not a bad deal.
I’ve sat through the pitch before. They “make you money” by offering financial advice (even though they’re not really certified to do it). They give you advice to eliminate debt if you have it. I think their biggest source of sales comes from a review of someone’s finances, identifying people that have WL policies and explaining how they’re bad options, convince you to sell WL policy and replace with their term life. They then demonstrate how much you’ll have if you invest the different in like a whole market fund. It’s actually not a terrible pitch. I have a friend who posts on Facebook every time she helps someone. It’s typically along the lines of “I love helping people retire 15 years earlier.” because they advised someone to sell WL, buy their term, and invest the difference.

So they do attempt to gain trust by advising you against really BAD investment vehicles and putting that money in better places. They then use that trust to sell you insurance products which may or may not be the BEST option, but they aren’t HORRIBLE options.

When I was pitched it turned into me demonstrating how much she makes per hour doing what she does, how much I make per hour doing what I do, and demonstrate how much more she could be making and it’s not a terribly efficient use of her time. I didn’t buy the term life policy, but she might be making more money on the side now.

2 Likes

Stop wasting time worrying about something you chose to rightfully ignore.

4 Likes

sage advice

Meeting is later today. Free lunch. Don’t sweat it, I’m not worried, just keeping things copacetic with the family.

Current odds are:

Amway: 3:1
Annuity \ Insurance: 2:3
Other MLM: 5:6

6 Likes

Just remember, if it is a legitimately good opportunity that you have to save it with your old fragiledeal friends.

This could be anything! It could even be a boat!

5 Likes

If this is about Cutco knives I’m gonna be ticked off.

5 Likes

imbatman nearly nailed it, but the product is the reverse: Term sucks, wastes your money and saves nothing for retirement. Lots of talk about how they help people who are in debt get out of debt, save for retirement and protect against a stock market crash.

For me It was not a pitch to buy insurance at all, but a pitch to join selling insurance. Not Amica. Transamerica, or some subsidiary, or maybe not even a sub. but they just use the name because that’s the product they sell. This specific company is focued on a minority group my family is a member of. $85 to join, 1.5 years of 2x a week ‘free’ meetings/training to teach you about financial literacy, train for insurance certification.

Basic product is Index universal life with LTC. Commissions are super fat, from what I could see nearly the first 2 years’ worth of premiums cover the sales commission and MLM upstream payments.

Lunch was good to very good.

5 Likes

But what did you have? Inquiring minds want to know! :grinning:

1 Like

Was BBQ ribs, chicken w/cornbread muffins and greens. Unfortunately no Diet coke so I went with water to drink.

2 Likes

You didn’t go with the brisket???!!!

1 Like