Navigating HDHP Insurance for childbirth

You are correct. Except there is one more layer. There is a per-person deductible, a per-family deductible, a per-person OOP max, and a per-family OOP-max.

In my case, the per-person deductible of the POS plan is $750 and the per-family deductible is $1,500. For the HDHP, they are $2,800 and $5,600 respectively. The OOP max is the same for both plans ($4,000 pp and $8,000 pf).

As for the switching back thing… my wife isn’t pregnant yet, so I really can’t count my chicken(s) there. There is a possibility that she doesn’t get pregnant until March and delivers in December, At the very earliest, if she got pregnant in November and the baby is born in August, I would switch and only get 4 months with the cheaper plan. That would be a savings of only $656.

Ah. With identical OOP maxes IDK why you’d pay more.

So the question is will you save more than $4768 going with the PPO plan which it doesn’t sound like you will. And if things don’t happen right away and you get pregnant in say April or May you’re carrying the PPO plan for the entire year and birth will actually be Jan-Feb 2020 (when you can change again)

1 Like

I have never heard good things for families OOP costs who have babies delivered under a HDHP.

Actually, a HMO plan (Kaiser or related) is likely the best situation, but I understand that it is market-specific issue. Most PPOs suck because you are paying a massive premim cost to have access to a network you may never use, but because the PPO plan is employer subsidized, it is likely still cheaper than an exchange plan.

I acknowledge that you are “stuck” with the PPO plan for at least twelve months usually under an employer coverage.

Having a baby typically counts as a qualifying life event, giving you 60 days to change plans afterwards.

2 Likes

I’ve read that moving to another zip code is a qualifying life event that makes “you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, allowing you to enroll in health insurance outside the yearly Open Enrollment Period.”

In theory, you could have a Bronze plan and then wait until a couple of months before the delivery to move and then switch to a Platinum plan. After the baby is delivered, you could switch back to the Bronze plan because this is another qualifying life event.

Of course this only really makes sense if you rent and you don’t mind moving to another zip code or if you were planning on moving to another zip code anyway. You could simply adjust the timing a bit.

I couldn’t swing the CoveredCA plans–the OOP was way too high since it didn’t include employer subsidies (and right now I’m not in a position to get income under the magic number to gain a subsidy).

I still think the Kaiser plan or a HMO like @rasheed mentions is the best way to handle this–my issue is the only HMO employer offers is Kaiser.

As do most employers when they offer both a HDHP and a HMO, it is almost always Kaiser. I would like to see more Centene/HealthNet HMO or other interesting products offered out there, but the brokers and benefits consulting companies are not really that good at finding these plans.

If I have the choice of an employer PPO or Kaiser HMO for a planned baby, I would take the Kaiser HMO, no question. I am also not a big fan of Kaiser, but they do have some of the newest inpatient facilities and have high-risk OB doctors available if that is really needed. Those who have delivered via Kaiser have been amazed on how little they paid OOP. Unless you are not near a Kaiser hospital or badly need some local, community OB for some reason, I don’t see how spending more for a similar procedure is worth it.

I can see how Kaiser saves money such as doing a lot of the prenatal visit work with nurses and not doctors, and they have a tendency of using the language “protocol” (such as heavily advocating for formula in less >40 week deliveries), but there is no reason new parents couldn’t be up to speed to know their options. I also haven’t seen any issue with the nurse-guided prenatal visits. One reason for this is Kaiser’s care path is so heavily structured (due to their EMR) that there really is no opportunity to have a varied experience. The EMR will be demanding such specific steps and inputs. Yes, it might mean Kaiser providers operate more as step followers, but it is something they feel really strongly about (like building their own medical school).

My first was delivered by Kaiser… Fantastic experience from start to finish. Oh and we paid $0 out of pocket. A friend just delivered and got a bill for $300.

I actually am a huge fan of the way Kaiser does things. It is manager care to the extreme. Every doctor has complete access to your records, results and history. Referrals are done automatically and care is outlined and reinforced by emails and take home print outs.

Control over your records and care seems to be their top priority, and I always felt they were working as a team. Also love how everything is online and you can email doctors and nurses with questions. All results go straight to your patient portal. My PCP has a pretty large, well known IPA, they were so proud of their new patient portal…which I bet they spent a ton of money on. It looks like a college IT project compared to Kaiser’s portal.

That said, I’m not the one carrying a little one for 9 months, so I can only make the suggestion we go with Kaiser. We left Kaiser a few years ago for a HDHP, wife likes her OB, and she takes PPO only. I’ve put a hail Mary in with one last push for Kaiser, maybe it’ll work.

At least here Kaiser’s facilities are all nearly brand new, or freshly rennovated. That’s caused us to seek out similar private care locations with our HDHP, and that’s been costly when we do need care. Example: We can get a MRI for $370 but they’re overbooked and make you wait 2 hours even with an appointment, facility is kind of old looking. Brand new facility with state of the art Machine and the MRI costs $950. You walk in and are home before the first place even sees you.

Still not worth leaving HDHP for years when we’re not having a baby. Only wish Kaiser HDHP was offered.

2 Likes

Are you sure? This was not my experience. The Kaisers around here are all Baby-Friendly Hospitals and encouraged breastfeeding unless there’s a medical need to feed the baby before milk comes in (like low blood sugar). Also 37 weeks is term, and the plurality are born at 39 (according to a chart on Wikipedia), so advocating for formula for anyone under 40 weeks doesn’t make any sense.

We are Kaiser members in the Mid-Atlantic region. The care provided is excellent, but some of the facilities are cramped, dated, and poorly located and with complicated parking and access issues. The newer facilities are usually bigger, brighter, and better located, but parking and access are more challenging.

Kaiser really needs to spend some money on either renovating the older places (there’s one that hasn’t been touched since it was built in the early 1980s. Mauve city.) or relocating them to bigger, brighter, better locations.

Coverage costs are OK, but pharmacy prices can be high especially if one has a high-deductible plan.

1 Like

Interesting that this website for Covered California patrons says Silver is the best during pre-natal while you should go to platinum for the birth. The OOP costs make the HDHP not that good a deal. Best California Maternity Insurance After Obamacare - Covered CA or Direct Health Plans

Yup. I went with the HDHP. I did a little more research (talked to the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield rep) and ran the numbers and even if someone involved in the delivery is out-of-network and we have to pay toward the OOP max, it’s only $1,200 more than the deductible. With a $2,800 delivery (deductible) + $1,200 in out-of-network expenses + $500 extra in prescriptions (which is likely an over estimate), that still puts the HDHP $1,500 cheaper than the Point-of-Service plan (I kept saying PPO, and I don’t know the difference, but it’s called a POS plan). That $1,500 is a lot of wiggle room for sick kid costs. And that difference is very conservative, figuring my wife’s only trips to the doctor next year are pregnancy related. Considering the past couple years, she’s racked up enough on our HDHP to come out to $900 and $600 on her own. If she does that again, those visits won’t make the HDHP costs go up, but would make the POS plan costs go up, so the savings would likely be over $2,000.

If I remember, next year I’ll look this thread up and give an update.

Just keep in mind that some plans don’t count out of network fees toward your OOPMax, or your deductible for that matter.

According to the Anthem rep, out of network costs count toward OOP. Also according to the HR rep, I can’t switch plans with a qualifying event. I can only add or remove family members.

My wife had our first child in 2017. I just ran the numbers in retrospect and it looks like because we used my employer’s “best” health plan we saved money, but just barely, versus using my employer’s HDHP.

While it was pretty neat to get a hospital bill showing that insurance paid $16,000 and our total responsibility was $100, that wasn’t the whole story. Over the course of the year we paid about $8,000 in premiums plus about $500 in out-of-pocket costs, all pretax (premiums as paycheck deductions and out-of-pocket costs via FSA).

Had we elected the HDHP instead, we would have paid about $5000 in premiums, plus about $5000 in out-of-pocket-costs, minus a $1000 employer HSA contribution – all pretax.

I have rounded the figures here but it was really like $8500 we actually paid in premiums + health costs with the insurance we had, and $9000 we could have paid had we opted the HDHP all year. It was very close and may tilt the other way for any future children.

It seems psychologically harder to be writing big checks to a hospital rather than to have most of the cost of health care borne up front as a pretax paycheck deduction. This is a real thing to worry about – if the baby is sick, will you ever be discouraged from taking them in because you budgeted for a lower-cost HDHP plan and didn’t also plan to spend the whole deductible? We had something like 5 sick visits in the baby’s first 2 weeks because of weight gain issues; although things turned out fine with no major intervention, we were effectively paying a physician $15/visit to reassure us and to use their scale. Wonder if we would have bought our own scale sooner if we had been paying $200/visit out of pocket.

The best option among various different healthcare plans seems to be really, really plan specific and to vary a lot based on the actual costs of each plan. In this thread it looks like the best optimization is to have a low-cost HDHP plan until the baby’s due date then to use a qualifying life event to opt for the highest-cost/highest-reward insurance; then, maybe after the baby is born and after everything settles down at the end of the QLE period, change back to the HDHP – overall that seems like a great deal.

Indeed plan changes made up our savings in 2017 - the expensive plan saved money vs the HDHP in part because the “insured plus spouse” premiums were significantly cheaper than the “insured plus spouse and child” premiums we paid post-birth.

Our total costs would also have been vastly different if we had used any out-of-network providers; my employer has various plans which cover this poorly (the “best” plan is an EPO which covers out-of-network at $3000 deductible/50% coinsurance to $9000 OOP pax; other PPO options offer $500 deductible/30% coinsurance to $4500 OOP max; and the HDHP offers $2700 deductible/30% coinsurance to $7400 OOP max).

For 2019, it looks like our best plan may be the HDHP. I have been modeling expenses in a few different ways:

• based on our actual 2017 and 2018 pattern of care, what would be our total costs under each available plan?
  • using our actual 2017 and 2018 spend as a baseline, what happens if we have another child?
  • using our actual 2017 and 2018 spend as a baseline, what happens if we get a $1000, $2000, $5000 bill from an out-of-network provider?
  • if something catastrophic happens (major surgery, a severe chronic condition), what would be our total costs under each plan?

I still have several spreadsheet sheets to fill out, and it really depends a lot on the actual details of the available plans, but for us it seems like the HDHP wins every time, narrowly in the worst-case scenarios and by a wide margin otherwise. The major risk that’s hard to measure is the psychological impact of being less willing to see the doctor when sick under an HDHP vs. when the cost has already been sunk and there is only a modest copay.

5 Likes

A few more considerations:

1. It might be difficult to predict when pregnancy will happen and rule out miscarriages. So you might be paying for an expensive plan but don’t get to use it for a while.
  2. Pregnancy and birth could stretch over two calendar years, hence the deductible will reset. Costly on a high deductible plan.
  3. High deductible plans do have a safety net, the max out of pocket. In the unfortunate event that yours turns out to be a million dollar baby, there is a ceiling how much you’ll be paying.
  4. Providers might be more sympathetic to billing inquiries if you are on a high deductible plan. Insurance providers on the other hand might brush it off if they see you have a large HSA balance (so make sure to roll it over periodically).

Unless you can change plans during pregnancy, a high deductible plan is usually the better choice. Look at the maximum out of pocket, and multiply by 2 in case it stretches over 2 calendar years. That’s your maximum exposure. Pick the plan that fits your exposure risk.

I’ve found no evidence of this, but am still looking and hoping. :smile:

1 Like

HDHP is often the cheapest option, either for very low or very high costs.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4196231

1 Like

Benefits told me that plan changes are effective the day the baby is born. Which means if I switch now to High end PPO and switch after delivery back to HDHP the delivery and most of the hospital stay would be billed under the Old High end policy and everything after baby is born would be billed under the new HDHP policy.

This doesn’t sound correct to me. I thought I had 30 days to add baby to current policy and then 60 days to change policies (two different things). They’re saying this is one event and one shot at doing both.

I just looked at mine, and it specifically mentions that I can add a newborn to my current plan, but I can’t switch to another plan.