Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU)

OK, Argyll, thank you for passing that along. Much appreciated. I would never have dreamed there could be such delay as that!!

I mean, you are talking there about a possible five month delay!! So in my case we would be talking about only a week or so ago!!!

That’s nuts. But I will regardless happily accept my $500. Expect it to be safely at Alliant this coming Monday.

It says in the disclosures: “Please allow up to eight weeks after the 90-day period for the 50,000 points to post to your rewards balance.”

1 Like

But, but… I love NFCU!

2 Likes

Yeah… that’s it.

One thing to consider if you want to close the Flagship card is that NFCU might be able to transfer the credit line to another NFCU card you hold.

Their policy is not to move credit limits between existing credit cards. However, I’ve seen several accounts of people closing credit cards and telling NFCU they would get better use with one card and they have been able to get the credit line of the closed card added to a card they were keeping.

To further expand a bit, this is 100% possible (moving credit lines) when applying for new cards. I am at max exposure with NFCU and when I went to open my Flagship, they asked me which card I’d like to pull credit from, or close altogether, to accommodate the new card.

2 Likes

When I asked about moving credit lines between existing cards they said “No way, Jose. We don’t do that.”

Apparently they do move credit lines in some cases when closing or opening cards. Thanks for the info.

DUH!!! You are supposed to use your REAL NAME!

Try this: “Hello, this is Argyll, I’d like to move credit lines”

NFCU: “Sure! Some airhead just called in saying he was Jose and wanted to do that. I KNEW it wasn’t Jose, so I said “NO WAY””

With all due apologies…

2 Likes

The $500 bonus for Flagship Rewards was in my account today, 14 days after the end of the 90 day period.

I called to have it transferred to my NFCU checking account. This was done immediately.

1 Like

For Youth Week, NFCU is offering a $25 bonus for new members under 18, new SaveFirst CD for members under 18, and new checking accounts for members 14-24. Offers end 15 April.

https://www.navyfederal.org/youth-week-2019/youth-week.php

I cancelled the Flagship Rewards card and moved the credit line to two remaining cashRewards cards.

I’m right behind you, Argyll. The NFCU Flagship Rewards card did not work out for me. I will be cancelling my card later this month.

Those are some very tough cookies at NFCU. They certainly have my number . . . . which at NFCU is zero.

Just curious whether there was something specific about the Flagship Rewards card that you didn’t care for, while still remaining an NFCU credit card customer. The annual fee? I probably won’t do a second year with them either, but there wasn’t anything specific to the card I don’t like (other than annual fee for a 2% cash back card, which I have several of at no annual fee).

As I’ve stated a couple of times in the thread already, my beef with them as far as credit cards is concerned is the inability to automate full payment.

Primarily the annual fee and the fact I get the same perks with the Alliant Visa and, at 2.5%, even with a fee, using the Alliant card amounts to more than 2% rewards.

I use primarily the Alliant Signature and the Amex Preferred cards, which both have fees. I would pay a fee only on cards I regularly use.

3 Likes

Looks like the Flagship 50k bonus is back with a $4,000 minimum spend requirement.

Wa-Hoo!! :joy::joy:

Joyous occasion as I just closed/terminated my NFCU Flagship “Rewards” Visa card. For me (only) it was more like a “no-rewards” card.

The termination went smoothly with minimum hassle. They warned me about the negative impact on my credit score. They attempted to cajole me into considering another NFCU CC product. All that was to no avail.

I asked that their records show card was cancelled at my request. There was no problem with that aspect.

In fairness to NFCU, they did pay me my $500 bonus after telling me they would not. I assume the bonus payment was an error, and I did not apply for the card to obtain the bonus. It was the sweet 2% rewards I was going for, roughly $120 of which NFCU confiscated. Hence the account closure.

Am hanging onto my PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa card for now because (unlike with NFCU) there is no annual fee. But I have not been able to make the PenFed card work for me either, so far.

You know, it is funny. I’m operating eleven other cards each month, some issued by banks and others by credit unions. I charge pretty heavily, with charges WELL in excess of $1M/year across all of those cards . . . . . and no problems. I get my rewards like clockwork.

But with the two cards issued by the militarily oriented credit unions, NFCU and PenFed, it has been nothing but heartburn on exactly the same sorts of charges.

Go figure.

The funny thing is, I have used many NFCU cards for over ten years and the PenFed PCR card for about a year, and have never had a single issue. You mention you’re charging well over a million bucks per year. Are you MSing or is the majority of the spend legitimate? And when I say majority, I really mean >50%. If you’re MSing, you can’t blame CUs for keeping a watchful eye on someone doing a lot of churn through their card to generate rewards. CUs are, after all, “for the people.”

Oh, sure. I would estimate way in excess of 95+%.

But again, point is no problems with eleven other cards . . . and it is a diverse group of cards I assure you . . . ones you would recognize right away . . . most of the prominent rewards cards that are not on the American Express platform. Nobody I do “business” with will accept any card on that platform.

So anyway, in my world and experience the NFCU and PenFed cards are outliers. I have not given up completely on my PenFed card, BTW. But so far no dice . . . . and no success. And the NFCU card was a total loser for me . . . which is why I cancelled it.

So, shinobi, you charge well over $1 million a year and over 95% is legitimate spending and less than 5% is MS?

If you are that wealthy, why are you bothering with minimal MS?

(Unless you meant to say 95% is MS…)

Yeah, I’m not so sure that this guy’s credibility is that high, from my perspective, anymore.

1 Like