New Potential Homeowner: What Neighbor Problems to Expect? Dogs, Fireworks, etc?

And if the neighbor accidentally hit the car illegally parked blocking the driveway (since backing out of garages/driveways often have limited visibility) it would be that neighbor out $$$$.

1 Like

I think you’d have noise issues living in a 55+ community, maybe just different ones. Maybe a higher incidence of ambulance/paramedic calls, definitely.

Within a mile or two, we have an assisted living/nursing home (more sirens as residents need to go to hospital), a hospital (nuff said), a major state route, and railroad tracks. None of these are huge noise concerns during the day. At night, it’s only a concern on the rare occasion I might be having trouble sleeping. Otherwise, no. Or maybe I’ve just gotten used to it.

When we moved here, I knew nothing about the surrounding area. The big draw was that it’s 2.5 miles from my husband’s work. We didn’t have good Internet and I’m not sure if the option would have been available then anyway. But now, you can scout a neighborhood from the comfort of your home via Google/Bing Maps. This won’t solve many neighbor issues, but you can see if you might regularly be exposed to noise from major highways, sirens, trains, etc. You can also see if a neighborhood is filled with swimming pools in backyards, which might mean more noise from kids, weekend parties, etc. Or if the backyards look like a salvage yard.

You have to watch out for nosy people. They tend to be retired seniors who don’t have anything else better to do. If you live with an HOA, then they will use it to bend to their will. Here are some things that they report on that most people wouldn’t care about: cars shouldn’t be allowed to park rear first, removing front door mats that don’t match the common area decor, fining owners who use their balcony for any kind of storage, hanging wall art in the common area, and more that I can’t think of right now.

3 Likes

This is so true. The worst I’ve heard is a senior community that doesn’t allow any street or driveway parking. You have to park in your garage.

This isn’t just limited to retired seniors but also stay at home parents or stay at home house-wives without kids at home. You often don’t know who your neighbors are before you buy your property but people in general who are at home all day tend to go stir crazy and start making little things into big deals.

1 Like

Need deets on ultrasonic emitter. Wife is pregnant and pissed at neighbor’s dog.

Apologize unable to provide details or plans. I’ve never built an ultrasonic rig having the power you would need. Did build a little one MANY years ago.

If you are not technically oriented you will need an assist from a competent technical person. Or else . .

This being 2018 it is possible something of this nature is today being sold on the net. Your wife is certainly one of many thousands of persons annoyed by barking dogs. And use of an ultrasonic device, which emits noise only a dog can hear, to discipline and quiet the offending mutt is certainly not an original idea on my part.

Before spending a lot of money you might want first to conduct an experiment. Buy yourself a dog whistle and try it out on your wife’s nemesis, if the dog is nearby. See if the dog reacts . . . and how.

You know, with humans the (frequency) range of hearing diminishes with age. That’s likely also true for dogs. If you’re lucky it’s a young dog annoying your wife. There is no sense spending dough in effort to discipline a pooch too old to hear your provocation.

ETA

I no longer own a dog. Just for giggles I looked up dog whistles on eBay anyway. Several thousand are available. Prices range from less than $1.00 up to several dollars. You might be able to locate something there you could try. Even if the idea falls flat, you’d only be out a few bucks.

1 Like

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-outdoor-ultrasonic-bark/dp/48543?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=PetSafe&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZDeBRD9ARIsAMbAmoZ87f8kaJJRLKBK6jNG4PbMe6WY7LBUKTTVviQ-0wwd-S0CfpRjEyIaAk5bEALw_wcB

Yeah, plenty of products on Amazon but the reviews seem suspect. Dog is really old (14+ I’d guess). Anything is worth a shot to lower the wife’s blood pressure!

The other things I can at least sort of understand a reasoning for. But I don’t get this one. Why would someone else care how you park your car as long as you stay in your space?

Because they’re control freaks. That’s the only reason I can think of.

1 Like

In parking spaces or on the wrong side of the street? Parking along the street facing the wrong way is tow-away in many (most?) cities.

1 Like

Understood. It’s a tough situation for a pregnant lady . . . or for anyone else preggers or NOT!! I am sympathetic to your wife’s concerns.

But be careful given the pooch is older. You might need a variable frequency unit which will allow you to get down into the dog’s hearing range. To state the obvious, if the dog is unable to hear the sound it will do no good whatsoever.

Also, there is an old aphorism, to wit:

MORE POWER!!

So I would be circumspect regarding purchase of a unit using only a little 9vdc battery as a power source. Would rather “entertain” the dog with something you plug in, a unit having a transducer (i.e., a loudspeaker) able to produce tens of watts of acoustic energy in the ultrasonic range, and adjustable as to frequency to boot.

As I wrote above, were it me I would begin by probing (i.e., testing) the dog with an inexpensive dog whistle before investing in something more expensive. And that goes double for an older dog whose hearing could easily be on the downhill side of the mountain.

Just ask George

Have you tried a chat with the neighbor. Failing that, are you in an HOA? Most have noise pollution regulations. You may also want to try some white noise. If all else fails, maybe point a motion activated sprinkler toward the mutt.