Parents Retirement Planning Help

At 205k assessment it was $5500 for 2017, homestead exemption takes it to $5150, so around 2.5% of the property value. (Homestead only takes off a fixed amount from the school tax assessment).
School district taxes are about half of the taxes, I’d imagine these would vary somewhat depending on the county/city/district. I guess my example is closer to 13 years old now, too.

Seniors get various additional exemptions and ceilings/freezings to yearly increases though.

Here is what I would suggest, since I am kinda looking at the same thing with a early retirement. 1st figure out where each one of them would like to live state and town or area, cold or hot areas. Like central California Fresno and some of the other places you can buy a house starting in the 300k range so they could just sell the current house and outright buy the other house. This just leaves them with Property Tax, Maybe HOA, Health / Home / Car Ins, Uty’s, and day to day living costs like meals, movies, stores so on…

You also need to factor in Family local, how close you are to each other, grand kids and other stuff in the factor. Have both of them pick an area and research it, take a trip and see if they can both see themselves living in the area and look for key things like what kinda of life style are they used to and will they have it there, Medical and the type of availability, like major HMO’s or PPO types, also travel how far are they from airports and the crime rates, is it a retirement state or is the cost higher then most places like New York or Bay Area where a 1 bedroom condo costs 500k in a avg area.

Some state are much better fo retirement and other are for the young and the up coming wannabe rich people until they reach 50 and blew all the stock options on 80k cars every 2 years…

My friend just bought a brand new 2800sf really nice house outside of Austin and he said they started in the mid 300’s, Central Cal is also in the mid to high 300’s and if you already live down south they huge 55+ retirement place Laguna woods has condo’s starting out in the 100 to 200k range near the ocean if your into that type of thing. I like many other burned out tech people from California are moving up north to places like Vancouver, WA or Maybe Canada if Trump wins another 4 years…

GL

Start a spread sheet and factor in the costs for each area

1 Like