Pursuing extreme tax strategies

I can’t speak for iPhones, but Android phones/Google keeps extremely accurate location data about where your phone goes.

1. Only if you have that feature turned on
  2. Unless someone can show me that the IRS regularly subpoenas this information (this is not part of your BASIC cell phone record) from google and gets it for their tax evasion cases, I don’t believe that it is evidence that would likely be used against you.
2 Likes

IRS Criminal Enforcement Information

About 3000 (and decreasing) criminal cases are initiated each year – and only those with a high chance (70% or more) of a conviction are pursued…

Just to note that nys income tax authority went after me hard after I started a new job in CT. Despite good records they couldn’t get past my wife and son remaining in NYC in the coop we owned to finish first grade before joining me. Took several rather intense months to resolve in my favor. Glad I had nothing to hide as felt punishment would have been severe. They really want to make examples of folks caught which inspires them to go hard after “suspects”.

1 Like

OP, welcome!

I love the general tax avoidance (as opposed to evasion) idea. My one suggestion would be that instead of throwing a bunch of these into a catch-all thread, different threads cover different ideas. That’s just to preserve focus and prevent unweildiness.

If you like, this could serve as a master list, with links?

I am working right now on how to comport the activities of small development business so that it can exploit the new passive income deduction you referenced.

Depends on the provider. Verizon does provide location information for calls on their monthly bills. This isn’t a full tower record location report, but it does provide limited information for calls placed.

Not going to comment specifically on IRS practices, but there are 2 types of records I’m aware of - gps records and tower location records. The first is probably what you’re talking about as there is a lot more data to go through. The second will just provide latitude/longitude for calls and data transmissions. Looking through a years worth is a lot, but it’s not that difficult. Plus, for federal issues (and possibly some state issues), the records are sent to the FBI which has a group and technology which allows them to comb through the records pretty easily.

If phone records are being used, they may only be looking at specific days, not 365 days, because they may not get the records immediately, and the other support provided would likely substantiate the majority of daily locations.