Request: Ignore Individual Users

yeah. everyone else it’s just online banter, even you. that guy, i know trouble when i see it.

and, you don’t know what crazy is

In any case, if all users would try to make sure their posts added some value to the discussion rather than only being a response to someone or a call out of someone, then the entire community would be better off.

10 Likes

By the way, here’s a way you can do this client side:

• Download the ‘Stylish’ extension (I did it in Chrome, probably available for other browsers)
  • Click on Stylish extension logo to the right of the address bar then click on the the vertical dots in the upper right of the menu.
  • Click ‘Create New Style’
  • Put the following into the code text edit:
article[data-user-id="1287"] {
  display: none;
}

The data-user-id numeric value should match the user you want to ignore.
Voila!

Note that this won’t hide quoted text within someone else’s responses. Quotes don’t appear to contain the user ID, otherwise blocking those would be straightforward as well.

7 Likes

You’re the man, Boston!

1 Like

Corrected :wink:

1 Like

Yes… your pearls of wisdom. Not someone else’s :wink:

2 Likes

Sup, KK!

Hi folks, I’ve taken the extraordinary step of blocking louis_redfoot. I want to be very very clear that this, in my opinion, is an extreme measure that I did not make lightly. FD is an open community and we need to be open to a variety of personalities and people (even eccentric folks). But this is a community and there is an expectation that our discourse will be respectful and net-positive. I’m going to confer with the mods and discuss our respective views on how to handle similar situations moving forward, and doing our best to develop clear expectations that protect the community and members’ individuality.

Edit: This is not necessarily a permanent block/suspension. I’ll make an effort to discuss with louis_redfoot. As I said above, part of the blame falls on me for not having clearer expectations laid out.

10 Likes

Appreciate the level-headed response, boss mod. There’s some hidden story here, I guess, but the direction of the banter is taking a darker turn for sure.

3 Likes

[quote=“thefdadmin, post:29, topic:1694, full:true”]
Hi folks, I’ve taken the extraordinary step of blocking louis_redfoot. I want to be very very clear that this, in my opinion, is an extreme measure that I did not make lightly.
[…]
Edit: This is not necessarily a permanent block/suspension. I’ll make an effort to discuss with louis_redfoot. As I said above, part of the blame falls on me for not having clearer expectations laid out.[/quote]
First of alll @thefdadmin… this isn’t that much of an extraordinary step. I love it that you you want to have an open community… and I’m sure that is what all of us members want… but an open community does not mean also having a troll who derails threads and has personal attacks via PM’s.
Secondly… I really hope you consider this be a block rather than a suspension. A member has to be a complete idiot to be banned/suspended from two different brand new forums… days after they created an account on the said forums… there’s a problem.

8 Likes

Guess I’m not quite to “complete idiot” level yet. Just “idiot” level.

…ok, enough about me. Let’s talk about the other guy.

3 Likes

I don’t think any of the blame falls on you. Someone who admits to having been banned from many forums and can’t see that they are the problem…:unamused:

5 Likes

Reminder: @jaytrader No personal attacks allowed. Not even against yourself. :laughing:

12 Likes