Status as of this moment:
In accord with Argyll’s guidance (see up thread) I paid everything down nearly to zero. My most recent statement closure finally came last Friday night (5/4), If you look at the date on the OP here, 4/6, you see my dilemma. That same statement for April had just closed when I posted originally, so I needed to wait nearly a MONTH to clear things up with that CC. That sucks, but I didn’t know on 4/4 not to leave a balance.
Anyway, now I’m anxious to apply for my two new cards. I thought you might be interested in how this is unfolding.
First of all, Discover refuses to disclose which of the three credit bureaus they will use, when I apply, to make their determinations. Hence, I have to be certain ALL THREE are up to date regarding my large payment reported last Friday.
I used the free Discover service to check Experian and, wahoo, Experian already has received notice of my large payment. This means they received that notice within one business day and updated my Experian report promptly. Hence, my Experian report looks great and is ready to be interrogated for granting of new credit.
Next I telephoned TransUnion. The lady at TransUnion was very nice and extremely cooperative. She generously checked my report to see if TransUnion had updated things with the data from last Friday. Sadly, at this moment, my TransUnion report is NOT updated. They continue to show a large balance on the card in question. They do not yet realize I paid off that balance.
Equifax? There is no need to check Equifax, since TransUnion is not clear, and I have not done so.
I cannot apply for my new cards until all three services have updated my information. So far, only Experian is known to have done so. Hence, I must continue to wait.
BTW, my score at Experian totally recovered after my having received credit for that payment. Score is back up where it belongs because Experian is reflecting only a very tiny utilization of less than 1%.
But that is not true at TransUnion . . yet.
BTW, like a number of other participants here, I have an Alliant statement closure coming up early next week. And currently I have a huge (albeit as yet unreported) balance at Alliant.
In the spirit of not making the same error twice, I already have taken steps to pay off that Alliant balance before my statement closes and the report goes out. I will be making that payment this week. After all, there is no sense risking making my other credit grantors nervous.